Should LSU be forced to Add Southern to their football Schedule?

cat daddy

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/103103/spo_push001.shtml

Board member pushes LSU-Southern game

By SCOTT RABALAIS
srabalais@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Talk about your political football.
As Thursday's joint meeting of the Southern and LSU boards of supervisors was wrapping up, Southern board member Tony Clayton of Baton Rouge called for a resolution to have LSU and Southern play in football either next year or discuss the possibility of playing in the near future.

With the meeting room at the C.B. Pennington Jr. Conference Center still buzzing at the prospect, Clayton backed off of his request.

But he said he would try again at 9 a.m. today when the Southern Board of Supervisors meets on its own at the SU campus.

"I'm going to push for it," Clayton said.

LSU and Southern play regularly in baseball and occasionally in men's basketball -- the Tigers and Jaguars will open their seasons against each other Nov. 21 at LSU.

But LSU and Southern have never met in football. LSU is looking for a home game on Sept. 4 to replace a game with Virginia Tech that was recently pushed back to 2007.

LSU has scheduled a rotation of NCAA Division I-A in-state schools -- Tulane in 2001, Louisiana-Lafayette in 2002, Louisiana-Monroe in August and Louisiana Tech on Saturday in Tiger Stadium.

LSU regularly pays those schools a guarantee of $400,000.

Though Southern plays in Division I-AA, Clayton figures it's the Jaguars' turn.

"(LSU) would beat us," Clayton said. "LSU is a Division I team.

"But LSU being the flagship school has done so many things to help Southern. I think this game would help us forge an even better relationship."

Clayton said an LSU-Southern football game would probably be a one-shot deal. He realizes playing a I-AA team hurts LSU's strength of schedule.

"I would not want to play on a regular basis," Clayton said. "LSU can't afford to. But I think LSU should float around the state and give everyone a chance."

LSU board chairman Roger Ogden of New Orleans and Southern board chairman Albert Gilliam of Shreveport both said they wanted the school's respective athletic directors to study the matter.

"We have worked to get the board out of the athletic business at LSU," Ogden said. "That was not always the case. It's not our nature to get involved but to look to our chancellor and our (athletic director.

"Certainly I think this discussion will take place."

Gilliam said he would suggest remanding the matter to the athletic directors: Southern's Floyd Kerr and LSU's Skip Bertman.

"We don't micro-manage these issues from the board," Gilliam said. "We will strictly adhere to protocol. This is something that should emanate from the ADs.

"While this sounds like a good idea, let the people who should know if it is study it."

The idea of an LSU-Southern football game doesn't appeal to Kerr.

"When I came here I was asked that at my first press conference," Kerr said. "I still hold fast that we shouldn't play football.

"Financially it would be a great benefit, no question. Fan-wise, it would be an intriguing matchup. But when it comes to a football program looking at another football program, that's not even on the radar screen to consider."

Southern already has a home game scheduled for Sept. 4 against Allen, which plays here Saturday.

LSU has been searching for a game, but preferably against a high-profile Division I-A team.

"We're still looking," Bertman said. "We haven't ruled out anything yet -- including that Southern proposal. But I've never spoken to Floyd about it."

After Virginia Tech asked to postpone its trip here, Bertman said LSU approached Nebraska and then Minnesota about playing a home-and-home series starting in Tiger Stadium in 2004.

Dan Radakovich, LSU's senior associate athletic director who handles football scheduling, has sent out e-mails to all 117 Division I-A teams. He said he has spoken directly to 25 schools, including Oklahoma and Southern Cal.

Like Nebraska and Minnesota, Oklahoma and USC both need home games next year as well.

"We're trying to stick with a high-profile Division I club," Bertman said, "but it's hard at this late date."

Bertman said he was interested in bringing in Tulane. The Green Wave will play here again in 2009 and LSU faces Tulane in the Superdome in 2008.

But because of changes in the makeup of Conference USA -- part of the domino affect of the ACC annexing Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College from the Big East -- Bertman said Tulane is now unavailable for 2004.

Because of the conference changes, there may also be a postponement of the NCAA rule set to go into effect next year requiring I-A schools to play five I-A home games. That could also free up some schools to play at LSU, Radakovich said.

Originally posted by cat daddy

Southern already has a home game scheduled for Sept. 4 against Allen, which plays here Saturday.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this saying that su has scheduled Allen for Sept. 4, 2004. :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Those LSU people just kill me. They bring in two 1-AA teams to play in consecutive years (The Citadel in 2002 and Western Illinois this year) and never tried to schedule any 1-AA schools from the State of Louisiana. It would make sense to me that if youre gonna give a 1-AA school a six figure guarantee to come and be your rent-a-win opponent, it would be one from your home state (i.e. Grambling, Southern, McNeese, NWLa). But that's typical of LSU. It's always been about LSU, and only LSU.

Re: Re: Should LSU be forced to Add Southern to their football Schedule?

Originally posted by COACH
Correct me if I am wrong, but is this saying that su has scheduled Allen for Sept. 4, 2004. :rolleyes:

Yes they have the Allen coach is a former coach for SU and one of petes old coaches trying to get to D1-AA level.

So I guess you got a problem with that, but its ok for one of our schools to play D-1A because we get paid but we can't pay one of our owns huh? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GramFan
Those LSU people just kill me. They bring in two 1-AA teams to play in consecutive years (The Citadel in 2002 and Western Illinois this year) and never tried to schedule any 1-AA schools from the State of Louisiana. It would make sense to me that if youre gonna give a 1-AA school a six figure guarantee to come and be your rent-a-win opponent, it would be one from your home state (i.e. Grambling, Southern, McNeese, NWLa). But that's typical of LSU. It's always been about LSU, and only LSU.

Say what you want but the reason lsu don't invite in state D1-AA schools is for the reason they took so long to start playing in state schools in baseball and basketball.

All the others (PWC's) will get envious and start pounding their door to play them and if they don't the first thing they'll do is say well if SU is good enough to play you why can't we.

You can go read some of the nonsense on the McNeese board and see that some of these fool actually think the reason that lsu doesn't play them is because we (in state HBCU's) will cry rascism if they play them, but the truth is it's actually the reverse.

Just let this game happen and see what the reaction will be from around the state, they will lose their freaking minds and wouldn't understand the significance in lsu playing us as oppose to them.

Originally posted by bluedog
Say what you want but the reason lsu don't invite in state D1-AA schools is for the reason they took so long to start playing in state schools in baseball and basketball.

All the others (PWC's) will get envious and start pounding their door to play them and if they don't the first thing they'll do is say well if SU is good enough to play you why can't we.

You can go read some of the nonsense on the McNeese board and see that some of these fool actually think the reason that lsu doesn't play them is because we (in state HBCU's) will cry rascism if they play them, but the truth is it's actually the reverse.

Just let this game happen and see what the reaction will be from around the state, they will lose their freaking minds and wouldn't understand the significance in lsu playing us as oppose to them.

bluedog,

That is interesting (not that I am a proponent of playing LSU).

Originally posted by JROCK
bluedog,

That is interesting (not that I am a proponent of playing LSU).

Yeah i'm kind of so-so on the issue too, but if we're going to step up in the future truth be told their wouldn't be a better opp. than in our own back yard against one of the best conferences in the country.

Kind of like facing a bully you know ya' gonna get that @ss whup but you become stronger for it.

Originally posted by bluedog

Well, I can't see that argument. It's not like they are struggling to put schedules together. Hell, they already knew that they were gonna rotate the Louisiana 1-A's (ULL, ULM, LaTech, Tulane) over the course of 3 or 4 years since 2001. All I'm saying is if, and I repeat IF, they are gonna schedule rent a wins against 1-AA schools, they could do the same rotating with Louisiana 1-AAs (Gram, SU, MSU and NWLa). In that way, there would be no basis for complaining from any of the schools. Now, that's not to say LSU will even be scheduling any 1-AA's again but I was just making a point regarding them bringing in out of state competition as opposed to playing in-state schools.

Originally posted by GramFan
Well, I can't see that argument. It's not like they are struggling to put schedules together. Hell, they already knew that they were gonna rotate the Louisiana 1-A's (ULL, ULM, LaTech, Tulane) over the course of 3 or 4 years since 2001. All I'm saying is if, and I repeat IF, they are gonna schedule rent a wins against 1-AA schools, they could do the same rotating with Louisiana 1-AAs (Gram, SU, MSU and NWLa). In that way, there would be no basis for complaining from any of the schools. Now, that's not to say LSU will even be scheduling any 1-AA's again but I was just making a point regarding them bringing in out of state competition as opposed to playing in-state schools.

Granfan it's no arqument here just a point of fact whether you believe it or not. I live here in BR nad have had close ties to lsu through my family and you most realize like a lot of others this isn't the same lsu administration of the 70's and your statement above is doing no more than concurring with what i've said.

I propose firng Clayton off the Board

I propose firing Clayton off the SU Board. And then fire the Board member wuo insists on SU playing a game in Shreveport.

How do these jackasses get on the board anyway.

You don't schedule a game just for a pay check. But then again that's what we do in basketball.

Now we want to prostitute our football program.

Back