Should Internet Access, etc, be Taxed?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
As E-commerce continues to grow, many cities complain about "losing tax revenue" to the internet. Even in my hometown of 22K and home county, this is an issue in various city councils, county commissions, etc.

What if you were taxed for using the net/every time you logged on or for the minutes that you were on in some form or fees were levied on service providers like those serviced on your phone bill?
(what da heck is all that extra crap on my phone bill anyway?!:redhot: )

This is an issue with all kinds of implications that I'm still trying to identify.

Mugz are going to figure out a way to generate TAX revenue off the net doe,, just like with car tags, licenses, "fees",, etc. Watch.:mad:

I think they are talking more about taxing internet purchases and not the actual taxing of internet usage. It's similar to the taxing of purchases that are bought from TV ads. They only tax it if you are a resident of the state from where the actual product is made/sold. Now with more products being purchased over the internet thru a lot of companies that have internet sites, Governments are losing tax money on those items. People use to go to the actual business and make those purchases and pay those taxes but no more, people are just buying online and they do not have to pay the tax on those purchases. Thats the big key to the whole thing.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Fiyah,
You are absolutely correct. As a matter of fact, taxing internet purchases would just scare folks away...like me! That was the main purpose of making those purchases. Big ticket items required large taxes. Now couple the taxes with shipping and handling, on-line time, cpu upgrades (to be able to view the silly animation), etc., and you have to wonder...WHAT'S THE POINT???

Taxes on purchases, usage

Yes, they were speaking of losing local sales to the internet. What's to stop some politician from eventually tacking on a "fee" or "ser-charge" of some kind like on phones?

How do they tax the internet now blacknbengal?

Back