Should any school that accepts federal loans/grants have tuition increases capped?

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I mentioned this in the other thread but was thinking about it more. I know that a lot of the increases are driven by decreased State support by I also believe that a significant portion of tuition inflation occurs because schools want to build unnecessary stuff like new student centers or to cover funding for research by faculty members. As I said before, the reason that universities can get away with this foolishness is because they are not punished in traditional economic ways for raising prices. Mainly, because the federal government provides nest eggs through student loans. (Personally, I think federal student aid should have a cap too)

Maybe the cap isn't hard but schools should have to justify why they are raising tuition higher than inflation rates or be forced to forfit any and all federal funds they receive. Tuition increased by 8.3% in the 2010-2011 School year. Look at the chart below, there is no way the people in the Ivory Tower can justify this. They are taking advantage of a system the Government put in place.

education_sm.jpg

Re: Should any school that accepts federal loans/grants have tuition increases capped

I believe folks should be able to attend college in the U.S. for free like in other countries with the stipulation that if you flunk out or drop out, one has to pay the difference for how ever long they were in school.

Back