Sheridan Poll, All Div I-AA in top 10

JagsPride

The Southern Univeristy
This is as close to getting it right as I have ever seen the Sheridan.

Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points
1. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (29) 4-0 299
2. Southern Jaguars (1) 4-0 267
3. Grambling State Tigers 2-2 229
4. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 3-2 180
5. Florida A&M Rattlers 3-2 136
6. Hampton Pirates 3-1 95
7. Tennessee State Tigers 3-2 77
8. North Carolina A&T Aggies 3-1 64
9. Alabama State Hornets 3-2 53
10. South Carolina State Bulldogs 3-2 47
Others receiving votes: Fayetteville State (32), Shaw (27), Kentucky State (16), North Carolina Central (12).

As of September 29, 2003, at 04:55 PM ET

I actually find the BCC/SU rankings interesting considering the two margins of victory against Alabama State

BCC +5
SU +25

But that's OK.. It's coming

Rankinga needs to be reviewed

Bama state should be ranked ahead of FAMU for the obvious. Su should be ranked ahead of BCC since Bama was robbed by MEAC officials at the Mobile classic.

I keep telling ya'll this is east coast opinions mostly, not to worry about Bcc they will stumble and even if they go to the playoffs undefeated, it's obvious they haven't played a top 25 school and won't make it out of the first round.

First, it sure feels good to see SU back in the rankings they should be.... Patients has been a virtue.

As for the rest, yes, there is some favoritism in the polls. Keep in mind also, that they are going give higher votes to those they see and are impressed with. This is why I've always been a supporter of the HBCUs playing each other, especially SWAC vs MEAC.

I am surprised to see BC getting soooo much respect. But, that could be as simply as I haven't seen them. Have they been on MBC this year? I hadn't noticed and I don't think they've been on BET. We saw Kentucky State. Certainly, we should see who is supposed to be No. 1. Interesting...

Peace!

Originally posted by thegooddoctor

Bama state should be ranked ahead of FAMU for the obvious. Su should be ranked ahead of BCC since Bama was robbed by MEAC officials at the Mobile classic.

True.

Also, Hampton should be fourth, Bama State should be fifth, and A&M should be sixth. FAMU should be NO HIGHER THAN eigth.

I wouldn't say that this poll is perfect, but it make more sense than some of it's previous incarnations.
Here are some thinking points...

Both Grambling and FAMU have only one 1-AA loss. GSU, as defending SWAC and Black College champs, won't slide below 3rd with just one loss to the #1 1-AA team and one loss to a 1-A team. This may also be why FAMU is ranked above Bama State. Wrong, right or indifferent the Florida loss won't count against them, thus giving them a better perceived record than ASU (3-1 vs 3-2).

BCC over SU is a function of last year's results. An undefeted SU will be in a prove your worth position until BCC loses this season, or we run up the score (30+ margin) on someone with clout. Pete doesn't usually run up the score on purpose (no smack PV). In our stretch coming up, it would have to be either AAMU or J-State to have meaning.

On TnSU I think the poll is dead wrong. Bama State has beat them, and I think that A&T would beat them as well. Not to mention A&T has a better record than TnSU.

If I were to vote in this poll, I would have the following:

1. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (16) 4-0 Makes case for being Defending champs
2. Southern Jaguars (13) 4-0 Most improved and undefeted to boot
3. Grambling State Tigers (1) 2-2 Defending champs
4. Hampton Pirates 3-1 Always a solid squad
5. Alabama State Hornets 3-2 Good team both sides of ball despite adversity
6. Florida A&M Rattlers 3-2 Struggling against weaklings
7. North Carolina A&T Aggies 3-1 Strong D offense suspect
8. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 3-2 Don't count them out
9. Tennessee State Tigers 3-2 SUSPECT
10. South Carolina State Bulldogs 3-2 I haven't been keeping up

JagsPride,

A few observations.

First of all Bama State manhandled FAMU, and the MEAC Office admitted that we were robbed in the Bethune game.

If Sheridan can consider the fact that FAMU's other loss was to a I-A team, they can consider the MEAC Offices's admission that Bama State actually "won" the game against Bethune.

Secondly, Bama State has not played (and will not play) Tennessee State this year. You're thinking about A&M.

But I do agree with YOUR poll, except I would flip-flop A&M and FAMU.

Back