Sextuplets' family in danger of losing home

JSU*Toi

Sextuplets' family in danger of losing home; Emergency payment delays foreclosure as Harrises struggle
10/05/02

Val Waton
News staff writer

An emergency payment Friday will keep the parents of Alabama's first sextuplets from losing their Center Point home. For now.

But Diamond Harris, who gave birth on July 7 to two girls and four boys, and her husband, Christopher Harris, are in financial straits and were only able to delay a foreclosure sale of their three-bedroom, three-bath home that was planned for Monday. The couple was a double-income family until Diamond developed complications during her pregnancy.

They were notified Sept. 12 that the home would be sold on the steps of the Jefferson County Courthouse. The family lawyer, Lawrence Cooper, said the Harrises are more than $5,000 behind on payments to CitiMortgage Inc. but a Friday payment of $1,440 pooled together by relatives put the sale off.

Efforts to reach CitiMortgage were unsuccessful Friday. A representative of its law firm, Shapiro & Tucker, said it could not discuss the matter.

The couple still must pay monthly mortgage notes of about $900 for three months, Cooper said. After that time, the mortgage company will consider restructuring the loan at a lower interest rate, hopefully with lower monthly payments, Cooper said.

The Harrises remain fearful they have only a temporary fix for the situation as they prepare to bring the rest of their six babies home. Three babies remain at University Hospital. They also have a 7-year-old son. Insurance has paid most of the cost for the pregnancy and the births.

"Our prayer is to stay in our home," Christopher Harris said in an interview. "We're putting a Band-Aid on a really, really bad situation. My main fear is: We're OK now, but what about the future? We're trusting in God. We're thankful for family. It's not something we went out to do. We didn't mean to get into this situation. We tried to prepare for it, but there are some thing's you just can't prepare for."

Harris said the family has been living off his $29,000 teacher salary and earnings as a part-time tutor. His wife had worked as a licensed practical nurse but had to quit last winter because of pregnancy complications. At one point, she nearly lost her life, Harris said. "There was no way she could work."

At that time, he said, steps were taken to notify their mortgage company to get special consideration for financial hardship.

Harris said it was around May when they really became delinquent with the mortgage. During this time, Harris said, a vehicle was repossessed.

The babies' birth received national attention, garnering publicity and offers of assistance from the community, which they called a blessing. Wal-Mart donated six baby beds and bedding, three playpens and six infant rockers. Bruno's, Kmart and Babies R Us have sent gift certificates. The Serra Automotive Group donated a van. They also received diaper donations and several items were placed in collection bins at Food World.

Harris said he and his wife have been hesitant to go public with their financial struggle until they faced Friday's emergency situation.

"We are real proud people," Harris said. "It's hard to ask for help. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride."

"If you're used to living with a dual-income family, and all of a sudden you have one income taken and six new mouths to feed, that's pressure," Cooper said. "I recognize it's nobody's fault and you're responsible for yourself, but as a country and as a society we should be in the position of helping people who are trying to help themselves and that's what it's all about."

Harris said that when they bought their house in March 2001, he and his wife both had jobs. She worked full-time at a nursing home and also had a part-time job. He said they had lived in an apartment in the neighborhood before deciding to buy their home, which he calls a "godsend."

"We felt as if we were stable, young, at the right age," Harris said. "We wanted a baby. We were working to the future. You could say we were at our pinnacle."

Court records show the home's sale price at $105,000 and that they undertook an FHA loan of $103,794.

Harris said he and his wife decided to have a baby. Instead, they have six. They have converted a room in their basement to their bedroom. Harris said he has had to quit his part-time job to help out with the babies.

Harris said he is hopeful that the other three babies will be released from the hospital in time to have Thanksgiving at their home.

That's a shame that the mortgage company is having no mercy on them. They have 6 babies but the mortgage company wants their money right now.

I wonder if anyone is going to step up and take care of the mortgage or at least get them up to date.

i hope so cause this is so sad. i mean they acting like they are just not payin the morgage because they don't want to, they are really struggling and need help. i pray that something can be done. this hits so close to home, cause i once knew about being raised on that good ole teacher's salary.

According to the article in Jet magazine, she took fertility treatments in order to get pregnant. Soooo, I'm thinking

1. they have a child and want another one, so they must be financially able to afford another one

2. they have the money for fertility treatments, so they must be financially able to afford another child

3. they realize that fertility treatment oftentimes results in multiple births, so they MUST be planning for this eventuality, since you can afford the treatments, indicating that you will go above and beyond to have a child.

So, why the surprise when 6 kids show up?! They know how much one has already been costing, so multiply it by six. It may be heartless, but I ain't feeling this one.

Well even though they could initially afford the treatments and stuff. I don't think they anticipated on "6" kids.

Yes I am sure they knew that there was a possibility of mulitple births but not 6. So how can you plan for that?

Before she began fertility treatments (which by the way, the last estimate was $10,000-$40,000 for a pregnancy) I am positive that she was counseled on the possibility of multiple births with those drugs. But....they still went ahead.

She played the odds, and the odds payed off BIGTIME!

Like I said, I'm not feeling this one.

I know of someone who took fertility drugs, and although I don't know what it cost, just in knowing the individuals, they didn't pay $10K. Isn't it rather common that many couples take some form of fertility treatment, yet rather uncommon out of the number that do, actually have more than one or twins?

Hopefully the family will be able to get the help needed until they become financially stable again.

DID U MISS SOMETHING

Originally posted by Sonic98
What kind of education background do these two have?
UMN DID U MISS SOMETHINGS IN YOUR READING.... IT CLEARLY STATED THAT HE IS A TEACHER MAKING29,OOO. AND SHE WAS A LPN...THAT HAD TO QUIT HER JOB DUE TO COMPLICATIONS IN HERE PREGNACY.......THIS SITUATION IS SO :sad:

Originally posted by chocalate_topaz
Before she began fertility treatments (which by the way, the last estimate was $10,000-$40,000 for a pregnancy) I am positive that she was counseled on the possibility of multiple births with those drugs. But....they still went ahead.

She played the odds, and the odds payed off BIGTIME!

Like I said, I'm not feeling this one.

Not really true... There are fertility drugs available covered by insurance and if their insurance was worthy ANYTHING... they probably paid 10-15 bucks for a bottle of 30.

Nobody estimates SIX children. Considering they had the home previously and if the value is 105,000 ....but they took out an FHA for $103,000... That means their monthly payment (+/- taxes) is about $1000.00.

Considering the fact that HE makes $29,000 a year as a teacher... subtracting out 30 % for taxes, insurance etc.. He probably brings home 20300. $12,000 of which were house payments. $8300 is take home pay.... You do the math....Six babies and themselves...

Plus, she had a job and anticipated continuing working I'm sure. Who knows if they will get sick to the point of DEATH when considering having children.

:(

Seems like with your math, they couldn't even afford one more, much less take a chance on twins +! AS I said before, I'm not feeling this one. Just honest about my feelings.

By the way, all of the people that feel so bad about this situation, are you sending money or other types of tangible support or just prayers?

Seems like with your math, they couldn't even afford one more, much less take a chance on twins +! AS I said before, I'm not feeling this one. Just honest about my feelings.

By the way, all of the people that feel so bad about this situation, are you sending money or other types of tangible support or just prayers?

the same thing you're doing...

Seems like with your math, they couldn't even afford one more, much less take a chance on twins +!

I guess you forgot that before the woman got pregnant, she was a LPN. He did the math according to the guy's salary and his alone. According to that math, the guy would have about $8,300 left over. That said nothing about what the woman was making while she was working. Since she was a LPN, I'm quite sure she was making at least $30,000 herself.

They had the means to take the drugs then. Nobody ever really expects to have 6 kids. Nobody ever really expects to have twins or triplets. But strange things do happen and you can't blame them for wanting to bring another child into this world. They wanted another child but got six instead.

The only way that 6 kids won't put you in a financial crisis is if you make a couple of million a year by yourself and your wife or husband makes enough to cover the cost of raising the children by themself.

You should have a little sympathy for them. They are on hard times. Then again, I am trying to reason with chocolate_topaz. :smh: *been down that road before*

well speakin for XHALE......

i'm sendin my prayers, because tangible support is not available from me, i don't have it, hell im tryin to find a job as we speak. the Lord knows my heart, and if praying is all i can do, then He knows thats sincerely all i can do.

Back