Service Plans

jelli

Music Lover
Do any of purchase service plans on electronics, appliances or anything that you buy? If so why or why not?

TVs (big screen/HD, etc), stereo receivers, PDA phones, expensive iPODS = "YES"

Dvd players, regular cell phones, appliances = "NO"

I should for appliances, but I don't because I haven't had to have one repaired my entire life. My washer went out on me once, but it was 7 years old, so I simply went to SAMSCLUB and bought another one.

I buy the service plan on items that really can't be fixed (PDA, iPod, HDTV, etc.). The other items, well if they go out I simply replace them because they are relatively cheap anyways.

I generally haven't been buying them but our oven which is a 2003 is needing service and the dishwasher which is a 2003 is need of service. I am now wondering if I should have bought a serivce plan.

Bought the warranty on my tires (came in handy this morning too). I buy the service plans on some electronics depending on the company's policy. With Office Depot their warranty kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty. So if you buy a 1 yr agreement and the manufacturer has a 1 yr then you basically have a 2 yr warranty.

I have done tires for years.

For electronics, it depends on the cost and the manufacturer. Take DVD players for instance. Five years ago I would have said yes. Now, they are basically disposable unless you go high-end. I also bought a powered mixer of a brand with a questionable reputation. I bought the service plan. The thing failed. When I submitted the claim, the insurer just wrote me a check for the cost of the thing. I could keep it and fix it or just trash it. I gave it to my son and let him fix it and used the check to buy a better brand w/o purchasing the service plan.

Bought the warranty on my tires (came in handy this morning too). I buy the service plans on some electronics depending on the company's policy. With Office Depot their warranty kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty. So if you buy a 1 yr agreement and the manufacturer has a 1 yr then you basically have a 2 yr warranty.

The only other place I know of with that kind of warranty is Lowe's. Most store warranties are concurrent with the manufacturers warranty. This is a very important question to ask when buying the store warranty on a product.

I am a firm believer in the tire warranty. Has come in handy many times.

The only other place I know of with that kind of warranty is Lowe's. Most store warranties are concurrent with the manufacturers warranty. This is a very important question to ask when buying the store warranty on a product.

I am a firm believer in the tire warranty. Has come in handy many times.
So do you buy it if is concurrent? Because sometimes the store warranty is longer than the manufacturers or sometimes you can purchase one later.

So do you buy it if is concurrent? Because sometimes the store warranty is longer than the manufacturers or sometimes you can purchase one later.

If it is concurrent there is no use in buying it.

Circuit City offered a warranty on a Gameboy I bought... well the warranty was almost the cost of the gameboy and it didn't cover it if it was dropped or if the screen was cracked. What's the point in that?

I buy them on certain items...it really just depends. Also I look at what the manufacturer's warranty covers already. I don't want to purchasing extra stuff unnecessarily.

If it is concurrent there is no use in buying it.

Circuit City offered a warranty on a Gameboy I bought... well the warranty was almost the cost of the gameboy and it didn't cover it if it was dropped or if the screen was cracked. What's the point in that?

That's another good thing to check on....what does it cover. I won't buy it if it only covers defects. Shoot I want to know if this thing stops working for WHATEVER reason that it can be replaced.

Most of the time no.

Best buy and Circuite city are the worst. 200 and 300 dollars for the additional plan. That's too much. I have a 27 inch I purchased in 98, a ge 19 inch I purchased out the box and two other TV's I purchased in 1999 all still work no problems. Knock on wood I've had my wahser /dryer since 1999(Wpool). All my DVD players work no problems. I just don't think you should if it a good brand.

No I won't buy it. I will not buy the product either if I can get it some other place with a better warranty.

Are Extended Warranties Worth The Money?

Aug. 11, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS) When you're about to purchase a big-ticket item such as a plasma TV, or even a fragile small item like a PDA, you're usually offered the chance to extend the manufacturer's warranty ? for a fee. But is this insurance really necessary ? or can it pay for itself? Do you have to sign up while you're signing on the dotted line? The Early Show's financial guru, Ray Martin, weighs the pros and cons of extended warranties.

A few years ago extended warranties were only offered on costly appliances and big-ticket items. But today, these "protection plans" are offered on just about any appliance or consumer electronics products you can buy.

For years, consumer advocates such as Consumer Reports have cautioned against buying extended warranties. But that advice may be in need of updating.

In a recent development, many appliance makers are consolidating the terms of warranty coverage on their products to include one period covering all parts and service. The period is one year ? after that, if a part wears out or breaks, you'll pay.

Before this, appliance makers would have warranties with different coverage periods for various parts, ranging from five to 20 years. Now they say a simpler and clearer warranty ? one that covers all parts and services for the same one-year period ? will benefit consumers. The reality is that in most cases, manufacturers' warranties for many appliances will be shorter and if you want to extend the warranty coverage for periods longer than a year, you'll have to open your wallet.

Shorter and "simpler" warranties for appliance brands such as Whirlpool, Roper, Estate, General Electric, Hotpoint, Maytag, Amana, Frigidaire and many other brands went into effect late last year and earlier this year. Some premium appliance brands still offer warranties that apply for longer than a year.

Some consumer electronics makers have also cut their warranties. For example, according to PC World magazine, Dell used to offer a three-year warranty on numerous products ? but has cut warranties on some products to just one year, and just three months on others. Once the manufacturer's warranty runs out, all costs for repairs are borne by the consumer, unless you pay for an extended warranty.

Extended Warranties
An extended warranty typically covers the costs of repairing or replacing an item during the same period when the manufacturer's warranty runs ? and extends for an additional period of time, typically two to five years from the date of purchase. Extended warranties may also cover items that are never covered by the manufacturer, such as normal wear, damage caused by a power surge, and additional services such as annual cleaning and preventative maintenance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/10/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/printable3156565.shtml

Back