Serious question for older Southern fans

bornthrilla

Proud ***** of JSU
Do any of you remember what your team's record in 1993 was?

More specially, can any of you recall what kind of defense you ran that year? Was it pretty good? Did it shut a lot of teams out or did it give up a boat load of points?

Thanks for you help.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BT,
SU record was 11-1 in 93. That was Pete's first year. I think the Defense was ranked pretty high. They didn't give up alot points on D. This was the same D that hurt Steve McNair during our win against Alcorn and caused him not to play the following week until they had no choice but to put him in the 4th quarter. It was a nasty defense. But our Offense was good that year too. If you are wondering who coached our defense, it was an Asian looking guy that coached Bruce Smith at Va Tech. I can't remember his name right off. But he was a good coordinator.

Cliff Yoshida, white school plucked him immediately

Thanks PF. I just couldn't think of his name. Yeah he didn't stay long. Pete and that staff inherited some good players. Casem and Kimble had recruited well. All was need was someone to guide them. Of course Casem has always been a defensive minded coach. So Yoshida had an easy transition and so did Michael Vite when he took over.

Yeah, Cliff Yoshida is the guy I'm talking about.

Hayes has already hired his new D-coordinator but for some reason he doesn't want to make it public yet. A month ago the BDF found out it was probably between this guy from ECU and a former Aggie from the University of Iowa. Both had stellar resumes.

I guess we will have to wait a few more days before Hayes releases the offical name to the press.

SU 1993 Games...11-1

NORTHWESTERN ST.......................30-13
ALABAMA ST...................................23-14
PRAIRIE VIEW................................46-6
SOUTH CAROLINA ST.....................14-10
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY......................14-13
TEXAS SOUTHERN..........................48-7
JACKSON ST...................................16-3
ALCORN ST....................................47-31
NICHOLLS ST.................................14-28
FLORIDA A&M.................................26-14
GRAMBLING ST...............................31-13
S.C.ST (Heritage Bowl)..................11-0

This was Pete's first year on the yard.

Re: SU 1993 Games...11-1

Originally posted by BgJag

This was Pete's first year on the yard.

and it was my last.....ooooooh the memories.:p We had a pretty good team then too.

Southern had an awesone defense that year. I thought that Vite came there with Pete. I see that I am wrong. Good info.

Nice try thrilla. '93 was definitely not a great team for JSU.

And you know damn well yo defense ain't stopping us. You won't get INT's in the endzone this year. You won't get punt returns for TDs. You won't get blocked punts for TDs. You won't get INTs returned for TDs.

Your offense ain't good enough to keep up.

And you know damn well yo defense ain't stopping us. You won't get INT's in the endzone this year. You won't get punt returns for TDs. You won't get blocked punts for TDs. You won't get INTs returned for TDs.

Why not? Won't Kent still be your quarterback?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's also called, Kent is healthy and this is our second game. Kent did not start throwing ints until he was hurt by SU. Call that an excuse if you want. Our coaches set Kent out. If our coaches are smart at all, they will use the deepest o-line in 1AA and use Counselor to keep the heat off of Kent. Last year, teams knew that we would not run and beat the ish out of Kent.

In 1993, McKenzie was our OC and we played all year with an injured QB without an adequate backup. The OC was fired and we hired Shannon. You also have to realize that while I can take nothing from Southern, no teams in the SWAC or BCF played the same offensive style that we do now. Back then, all teams were more run oriented with the exception of Alcorn. But Alcorn had a DC who not stop my 2 week old neice from catching a 50 yard TD. Also, as the Jags are bragging about...they hurt McNair in that game. BCF changed when JSU and FAMU started airing it out. Now more teams are doing it. JSU is traditionally run oriented.

Regardless, any DC you get will be just as good as the one you had. He sucked.

"Kent did not start throwing ints until he was hurt by SU. Call that an excuse if you want."

OK!==> Excuses, a monument to nothing...

Back