SEC and SWAC Media Days

Media Guy

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Media Days. The two new commissioners (SWAC and SEC) have a lot of problems to solve in their respective conferences. Hopefully they will hit the ground running and turn things around. I will definately keep my eye on things, since I will be covering both conferences this season.

Hope to see most of you at the SWAC Media Day.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SWAC Media Guy,

Why is it so difficult for the MEAC and SWAC to coordinate media days? For the 2nd year in a row, you guys are having your media day (August 2nd) on the same day.

Since some schools start practice that following Monday, one conference should be on a Thursday and the other on a Friday.

I preferred the SWAC press tour but that became sorry after they began to ignore their largest market. (no Houston stop)

Originally posted by Blu Panther
I preferred the SWAC press tour

I do miss those days when they would tour trough the markets of all the SWAC schools. i guess they got tired of riding those buses from town to town. Just have a day in a place thats so far east of the real 8 schools of the SWAC.

we wanted it in Houston, Rudy did not see it that way. I remember they abbreviated the press tour 1 year and bypassed Houstin in favor of Baton Rouge, Jackson and some other Bama city.

You got the 4th largest city in America in your conference and they fail to properly use it correctly.

Originally posted by hulaw94
SWAC Media Guy,

Why is it so difficult for the MEAC and SWAC to coordinate media days? For the 2nd year in a row, you guys are having your media day (August 2nd) on the same day.

Hey, that's my birthday!!!:D

The SWAC tour was fun but outdated people can't afford to be away from there schools that long so the conference had to move forward. A lot of people take shots at B'ham because Rudy chose it but if you ever go to the office of the SWAC you would see it was a deal we couldn't refuse the place is really nice.

AND HOW WAS IT SUPPOSED TO BE USED?

They never brought anything besides the SWAC basketball Tournament here. They should have gave Houston the spring sports championships so folks can stop asking about the high school facilities.

You got 3 major tv affiliates, numerous public tv outlets and several black radio stations who cover SWAC events. Exposure would be no problem if the right people were in place.

AND HOW WAS IT SUPPOSED TO BE USED?

They never brought anything besides the SWAC basketball Tournament here. They should have gave Houston the spring sports championships so folks can stop asking about the high school facilities.

You got 3 major tv affiliates, numerous public tv outlets and several black radio stations who cover SWAC events. Exposure would be no problem if the right people were in place.

A lot of people take shots at B'ham because Rudy chose it but if you ever go to the office of the SWAC you would see it was a deal we couldn't refuse the place is really nice.

I've seen it and it is nice. However, how many SWAC fans will evern see Birmingham for press day?

I've seen it and it is nice. However, how many SWAC fans will evern see Birmingham for press day?

The people that are really interested in the SWAC know where the SWAC Office is and will go to see it. Face it, man! Houston wasn't interested in the SWAC. Period!

I listen to the same radio stations you do, so don't give me that crap. They talk and that's it! No one in the Mayor's office really gives a dayum or tried to offer any kind of deal worth bringing the conference office here.

You always saying bring somthing to Houston. Well, why don't you get the Mayor to bid or make an offer for something? Stop whining Ryan. It's already old.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I see you like Houston, you moved to it :rolleyes:

The people that are really interested in the SWAC know where the SWAC Office is and will go to see it. Face it, man! Houston wasn't interested in the SWAC. Period!

I did not say move the office to Houston, that issue is dead. Move an event that has historically drawed poor to Houston like the Spring Sports Championships. You need to go to the TSU relays one year and you'll see what I am talking about. They somehow know how to promote that and the attendance is outstanding.

I listen to the same radio stations you do, so don't give me that crap. They talk and that's it! No one in the Mayor's office really gives a dayum or tried to offer any kind of deal worth bringing the conference office here.

You listen to the same stations as I do? You must like A&M radio on certain days. As for the Mayor's office, pro sports has been pushed to the front burner due to obvious reasons so SWAC events will not be on the agenda. However, if the SWAC could sit down and make an effort to educate the mayor the benefits of the conference, maybe something will get done. Again, I am not advocating the SWAC Championship or basketball game, just something as small as the spring sports championships. SWAC Championship game will never outdraw Texas High School Football (which is more exicitng in some cases) and the SWAC hoops tourney is a tough draw unless local teams are in the tournament. It has no core base.

You always saying bring somthing to Houston. Well, why don't you get the Mayor to bid or make an offer for something?

Will you come and educate the Mayor on the SWAC? Brown is finished as of next year so we will be back at square one unless Jew Don Boney or Sylvester Turner wins the seat. The benefit with the new mayor is that pro sports facilties will already be in place and the only thing that will likely have an impact is the potential Olympic Bid.

Move an event that has historically drawed poor to Houston like the Spring Sports Championships. You need to go to the TSU relays one year and you'll see what I am talking about. They somehow know how to promote that and the attendance is outstanding.

I have to agree with you on that. Track and Field is hot here in the Houston area. My son was just in the USTA region 12 finals that was held at U of H this past week and the stands was packed everyday and it was hot as "L" out there. It was standing room only crowds out there. There were teams as far as Dallas and San Antonio here for this meet. This was for kids from 6-16 in this meet and the competition was fierce. The ones that made it out of this meet will be participating in the USTA Jr Olympics.

But back to the subject, I think the spring sports championship will do great here in the Houston area.

I think comparing SWAC sports to the TSU relays is sort of misleading. This track meet relies heavily on the many high school entries. If anyone has ever attended this meet, they know the majority of the fans are there for the high school events.

I think the reason why Houston was dropped of the SWAC tour, Blu, was the fact that the media really didn't come out and support it. I heard that the tour may be brought back next year, if the powers that be approve it.

Two years and folks are still complaining.

I can't believe that the issue of the location of the SWAC headquarters is still being argued. I will say what I've always said about the matter...."If someone doesn't want you in their house, you cannot force your way in." Blu, Houston did not want the Southwestern Athletic Conference Headquarters. Tell us what was one thing that your city offered as an incentive, or anything to slow the slightest bit of interest in having the excutive offices of the conference in your city? I don't have to tell you what Birmingham, Alabama did to show that THEY WANTED US!

The SWAC didn't choose Birmingham....BIRMINGHAM CHOSE THE SWAC!!

we wanted it in Houston, Rudy did not see it that way. I remember they abbreviated the press tour 1 year and bypassed Houstin in favor of Baton Rouge, Jackson and some other Bama city.

You can say it. HUNTSVILLE, Alabama...home of the Alabama A&M University Bulldogs. :)

I can't believe that the issue of the location of the SWAC headquarters is still being argued. I will say what I've always said about the matter...."If someone doesn't want you in their house, you cannot force your way in.

can you read? I don't care about the SWAC Office, I said that issue is dead. Besides, what can the office do for me anyway?

I think comparing SWAC sports to the TSU relays is sort of misleading. This track meet relies heavily on the many high school entries. If anyone has ever attended this meet, they know the majority of the fans are there for the high school events.

How do you know? Folks came because it was marketed correctly and it had night sessions, a must-have in Houston track. The event would do well in Houston with the right promotion. You probably would have to add a lot of bells and whistles but it could get the job done. HIgh schools had a part in it but you forget some of these same high schoolers are stocking SWAC track programs.

I think the reason why Houston was dropped of the SWAC tour, Blu, was the fact that the media really didn't come out and support it. I heard that the tour may be brought back next year, if the powers that be approve it.

If they did not it was someone's fault. Did the SWAC send a timely notice? Did they bother to call the outlets. Better yet, did they allocate TSU and PV some funds to market the event?

If you don't care about the SWAC office Blu, then why did you post this:

If it's dead, then let the dead rest! You somehow keep digging it up!
:( :smh:

Back