Scotlandville point guard Ja'Vonte Smart ranked No. 5 in the country by ESPN

You do know Jay Williams was a beast (ex Duke PG) and again I'm speaking when Jay Williams was in HS..you can go back and pull up old HS All Americans and ask yourself if Smart better than these guys

Is Smarts better than him?
Is Jay Williams from Baton Rouge or Louisiana? LOL

He scored 70, not 100. And so did DeJuan Wagner and Andre Brown. Means very little.

And we're not talking about team vs team, we're talking player vs player. If Smart were on Devin's Lab teams, Smart would be starting.

You're right 70,

No way Lol....

That's like saying if Russell Westbrook played in Magic Johnson Era for the Lakers, he would be starting lol..come on man...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The number 5 player in the class of 2017 is from Johnson High in Huntsville... 6'7 guard with offers from Kentucky, Kansas and every other major basketball school.

Because we were discussing the "heat" in Baton Rouge in the 95-2002 era.

In your world

Smart was the best to come outta of Baton Rouge Lol...Like I said dude is good, but again, the "heat" in Baton Rouge in that era was 400 degrees hotter compared to what is now

The number 1 players in class of 2018 is probably the best high school player in the country now... Marvin Bagley... #35 a 6'10 BEAST... who can shoot.

In your world

Smart was the best to come outta of Baton Rouge Lol...Like I said dude is good, but again, the "heat" in Baton Rouge in that era was 400 degrees hotter compared to what is now
Not saying he's the best to ever come out of Baton Rouge... but he's the best guard since the era you posted. BR has put out some great Forwards over the past 2 decades.... guards, not as much.

I have been watching Smart since he was in like 5th grade on the AAU circuit. He's been a man amongst boys for a while.

Courtney Trask
Shon Robinson
Toris Bright
Devin Clark
Jermery Bennett
The other PG that went to LAB after Clark
Zimmerman (who I named)
those for starter
Lamo hell no. As a true freshman Smart put his team on his back and won a 5A State championship. Plus he was on Team USA this summer. None of the folks you named have done that.

Last edited:
He scored 70, not 100. And so did DeJuan Wagner and Andre Brown. Means very little.

And we're not talking about team vs team, we're talking player vs player. If Smart were on Devin's Lab teams, Smart would be starting.

My son coaches middle school at Prescott... When his team played them as an 8th grader he said to me "Daddy, Decky's son is the Best Player in the City". His dad, the late Jerry Matthews, was a helluva athlete at SU Lab in basketball and football during those Championship years of the late 90's. Smart is a different type of athlete... Decky Boy was athletic and strong, but this kid is special with the rock in his hands.

You do know Jay Williams was a beast (ex Duke PG) and again I'm speaking when Jay Williams was in HS..you can go back and pull up old HS All Americans and ask yourself if Smart better than these guys

Is Smarts better than him?

Jay Williams that went to Duke was not from LA. LOL. He was from New Jersey and his folks are Ohio State grads. Up North kid all the way.

You must be talking about the kid that was part of that I-10 (LA and Houston-Danny Ewing) combination at Duke. Chris Duhon was from LA. I think he was Mr Basketball in the state.

Jay Williams that went to Duke was not from LA. LOL. He was from New Jersey and his folks are Ohio State grads. Up North kid all the way.

You must be talking about the kid that was part of that I-10 (LA and Houston-Danny Ewing) combination at Duke. Chris Duhon was from LA. I think he was Mr Basketball in the state.

Nah I was speaking on guards in general...Jay Williams was good as you know and he played at Duke in 1999-2002 and doing that time frame, the guards in BR were just as good as him..See my list..and they stated that Jay is better than the ones I put up Lol...which is cool...

I stated that Smart isn't playing against competition as good...don't get me wrong the kid is good...but I see these kids out here..not playing defense and every player on the team isn't solid..back then every position was solid across the board...and you had better comp like I said

What in B.R. it's only Scotlandville and Madison Prep and UHigh??? 3 teams..and yall call that better comp than what and how it was back in the day..when you had a host of B.R. teams that were good...with solid guard play?? LOL..yea ok...the kid is good, but if he plays in that Era..he wouldn't be ranked anywhere and you pull some of the kids off squads that played back in that Era in put them in today's game..and most would tell you, how they would destroy the comp and I 100% agree, I bet you 100 to a doughnut they would be in the same space that Smart is in now..or close to it

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hell Treydon or Trey Landon from Central High (98-2000) was a better player, He was supposed to go to North Carolina ST. and that was big back then....he was better than Smart...
Man yall tripping..Dude said Smarts would be starting on S.Lab team LOL...dude really?? u do know White Castle had some dogs (guards) back then..they just couldn't beat S.Lab...
Man you had TEAMS that were good in B.R. with good player that would shine in today's game...
I'ma throw another name out...they are outta the Era that I named but Ryan Francis from G.O. isn't better than this guy? you don't think if he played in 2015 he wouldn't be a Top 3 PG??

LOL.. I think BigHead mistaken Jay Williams for Chris Duhon.. Its cool.. Playas mess up sometimes
LOL

Nah..I didn't mistake him...I was making a point...that Jay Williams was a dog..these cats talking as if the Smarts kid could play in that ERA that I mentioned and still be the number 5 player in the nation LOL..and I'm telling them hell to the nah nah..

I know more than a few past and present Baton Rouge residents who hope he does not go to the school on Nicholson Drive and Highland Road.

And, I'm a LSU alum. Kid needs to make a business decision and go somewhere like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, G'town, Maryland, etc.

Back