Schiefelbein Picks Gram and Alcorn to Play in B-Ham

cat daddy

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/082703/spo_grambling001.shtml

Big loss shouldn't slow Grambling

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Grambling got clobbered Saturday in its first game of the season, a 29-0 loss at Division I-A San Jose State.
So what?

The I-AA Tigers had the same fate a year ago, by 32 points at McNeese State, and still went on to their third consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference title in an 11-win season.

Grambling, ranked No. 1 in I-AA by Sports Illustrated and No. 7 by the Sports Network, is the class of the conference until proven otherwise. Especially with the Tigers rolling behind All-Americans Tramon Douglas, a former Glen Oaks High standout, at wide receiver and Bruce Eugene at quarterback.

Of the four years the conference has had a title game in Birmingham, Ala., Grambling has been there three times, winning all three.

"I hope those (trips) keep coming," Grambling coach Doug Williams said. "We've got a good nucleus of guys coming back, but they're young. Hopefully, we can duplicate what we've done the last few seasons."

As usual, the SWAC jumps right in, with a full slate of games Saturday, including two conference games (Alcorn at Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Prairie View at Texas Southern).

Here is a quick breakdown of the teams, in predicted order of finish:

WESTERN DIVISION

1. GRAMBLING (11-2 in 2002): The Tigers have the best passing combo in the nation in Douglas and Eugene, but in order to hoist the trophy again, Grambling will need to rebuild its offensive line, find a tailback or two and fortify a defense, especially at LB.

The schedule has two top-notch foes, the loss to SJSU and a Sept. 20 home date with McNeese, but Grambling wisely has set open dates to recoup in the following week.

Williams said his LB corps could be more athletic and his offensive line both bigger and more athletic this season. Both groups will get better as the season progresses. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the conference.

2. SOUTHERN (6-6): The Jaguars should be fine on offense, barring the injury bug that's riddled that unit the last two seasons (RBs in 2001, QBs in 2002). The defense, however, has a lot of talented, athletic, quick players who will nonetheless have to elevate their games. The season could very well hinge on two transfer LBs, Tarus Morgan and Don Expose, as well as freshman S Jarmaul George.

The schedule is a big help, possibly giving that defense enough time to grow. The first five SWAC games are at home. Then, Southern goes to Texas Southern, with its limited fan base, and then has Grambling in the neutral Bayou Classic.

3. TEXAS SOUTHERN (4-7): The Tigers are positioned to be the shockers this season. TSU lost five games by seven points or less and was without emerging QB Jacob Chavan in the second half of the season.

The defense, always a strong suit under Bill Thomas, returns six starters and the offense, benefiting from a second year under Mark Orlando, has eight back, including TB Tim Boutte. Plus, TSU is in Houston for five of seven SWAC games.

4. ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF (3-8): Coach Lee Hardman landed 12 junior-college transfers and three new assistant coaches prior to preseason camp in an effort to bolster a program that's starting to look like its best days have passed. QB Antonio Lovelady had his moments last year, but UAPB finished last in rushing defense and offense last season.

5. PRAIRIE VIEW (1-10): C.L. Whittington, a former Prairie View alum, takes over his first program. The Panthers are moving toward a full scholarship allotment of 63, which will finally put the traditional doormat on a level field with the rest of the SWAC. Just not this season.

EASTERN DIVISION

1. ALCORN STATE (6-5): A 5-1 start had the Braves in position to challenge for a berth to Birmingham -- right on the program's timetable. Then injuries and a road schedule derailed the Braves in a 1-4 finish.

Though senior TB Sidney Dumas is All-SWAC preseason, he needs to do better than his 378 yards last season. And junior QB Donald Carrie needs a return to the form he flashed as a freshman in 2001.

Alcorn has enough experience and talent (eight preseason All-SWAC picks and a veteran defense) to get that Eastern title this year. Possible problem: The schedule has six of the first eight games on the road.

2. JACKSON STATE (7-4): Robert Hughes got fired after three straight 7-4 seasons, with the energetic James Bell taking over.

Fans aren't sure what to make of Bell, a 44-year-old who guided a 1-9 high school team last season but has been a defensive coordinator at Wake Forest and Indiana. Plus, he's talking of balancing an offense that led I-AA last season behind dynamic QB Robert Kent.

JSU has to replace its tailbacks and plug holes on the offensive line, while special teams has been a sore spot for years. The schedule doesn't help, with five of the first six games, including Northwestern State, Tennessee State and Florida A&M, on the road.

3. ALABAMA A&M (8-4): DE Robert Mathis seemed to will the Bulldogs, even with an almost total lack of offense, to the Eastern title. But Mathis is with the Indianapolis Colts now.

Second-year coach Anthony Jones has to make up for the loss of Mathis (20 sacks) and two top LBs. Plus, A&M has only one SWAC home game, against Jackson State on Nov. 8. By then, A&M may be out of the chase.

4. MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE (5-6): The Devils were 0-11 in the final season under the horrid Latraia Jones, but found a new life under Willie Totten. With a solid core of returnees, Valley will either make a move or, at least, have an impact in the conference.

5. ALABAMA STATE (6-6): The games will offer a distraction. An investigation has led to the dispatching of L.C. Cole, who is fighting in court for not just this job but his career. Ex-Memphis assistant Charles Coe is coaching, barring a late court injunction.

ASU, the 2002 Eastern champs, collapsed with a 1-4 finish in '03. Arkansas transfer Tarvaris Jackson is at QB and Tennessee Keldrick Williams is at TB.

I tell you, I would sit back in a zone defense and make GSU beat me with short under passes. And since Bruce is big and slow and poor QB mechanics, I would send a speedy DB every other play to get him. If opposing coaches can do this, they may be able to stop GSU in the SWAC. Or maybe GSU could establish a running game (they do have good backs).

But until that is done, I agree GSU out of the West and A&M out of the east.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
3. TEXAS SOUTHERN (4-7): The Tigers are positioned to be the shockers this season. TSU lost five games by seven points or less and was without emerging QB Jacob Chavan in the second half of the season.

The defense, always a strong suit under Bill Thomas, returns six starters and the offense, benefiting from a second year under Mark Orlando, has eight back, including TB Tim Boutte. Plus, TSU is in Houston for five of seven SWAC games.

Yeah this is all true BUT there is still the "Bill Thomas" factor.

I would like to refer you to the same predictions made last year except it was the jenny-sue (jsue) *****cats that were predicted to be where???.....on the second Saturday in Dec. Now I know y'all remember 'dat isht...don't you!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I can live with those picks. I expect Valley to be ahead of Alcorn and AAMU but Valley still has to prove themselves. JSU has a lot of questionmarks. When Alcorn was healthy last season, they were 5-1 with some good wins. The only loss was when they were cheated in Ruston. They return a lot of players and there are not a lot of questionmarks about them. I still JSU, Valley, Alcorn, AAMu, AlaState but any slip up can change those predictions.

Originally posted by STRAWDOG
I would like to refer you to the same predictions made last year except it was the jenny-sue (jsue) *****cats that were predicted to be where???.....on the second Saturday in Dec. Now I know y'all remember 'dat isht...don't you!!!

Dude,

This guy just pointed out what we've been saying all summer long. How do you think that your team will be successful? You have too little size, talent and too many shoes to fill and no personnel to fill them.

Just how will you win games this year, seriously? When posed with this question all y'all A&M folk do is point out what JSU WON'T do- never what A&M WILL do. But the truth is you all don't even know yourselves. I think third place is too good for you this year.

No one from A&M has criticized the polls until now. Now you wanna bring up how skeptical you are of preseason polls. Where was this talk when A&M is picked to win it? So are you saying you don't believe those polls either? But it's all good you would be smart if you didn't believe that.

AGAIN: How will YOU win games this year?

Originally posted by j-state_tiger06

This guy just pointed out what we've been saying all summer long. How do you think that your team will be successful? You have too little size, talent and too many shoes to fill and no personnel to fill them.

Just how will you win games this year, seriously? When posed with this question all y'all A&M folk do is point out what JSU WON'T do- never what A&M WILL do. But the truth is you all don't even know yourselves. I think third place is too good for you this year.

No one from A&M has criticized the polls until now. Now you wanna bring up how skeptical you are of preseason polls. Where was this talk when A&M is picked to win it? So are you saying you don't believe those polls either? But it's all good you would be smart if you didn't believe that.

Y'all need to burn a new CD or tape of this isht so that you don't have to ride someone else's fuggies or lick their boots. You and your kind posted this same bullsnit prior to last season and AGAIN jenny-sue (jsue)ended up on the outside looking in hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Y'all won't have to worry about old or new unis 'cause those suckers are going to be back in the mothballs before you can say Natchitoches, LA. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ME:
Originally posted by j-state_tiger06
Dude,

YOU:
Originally posted by STRAWDOG
Y'all need to burn a new CD or tape of this isht so that you don't have to ride someone else's fuggies or lick their boots. You and your kind posted this same bullsnit prior to last season and AGAIN jenny-sue (jsue)ended up on the outside looking in hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Y'all won't have to worry about old or new unis 'cause those suckers are going to be back in the mothballs before you can say Natchitoches, LA.

See what I'm talkin' about...... :shame:

_ _ _, ain't it!!

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
West..Grambling..No brainer
East..Alcorn....I don't think so.

...West>>GRAMBLING!!!
...East>>>A&M or Alcorn!!!

...PS. I reserve the right to change my mind about the East after the third week of Oct.

The West is not a no-brainer. SU might end up there. Honestly, all they have to do is beat Valley OR Alcorn and Grambling in the Bayou Classic. SU should be able to handle AAMU and the other Western division teams. They have shown that they can beat Gram like a drum and they should again. If Gram stumbles on either of their trips to MS, (does their Alcorn game count), SU will be in Bham.

As for AAMU. They have the toughest schedule to overcome. No more going through the back door. This time they have to beat JSU, SU and Grambling. A feat they have never accomplished. Even if Gram beats JSU, it will be necessary for AAMU to beat JSU. I don't see AAMU making it through October as a contenter for the EAST. I think The MS schools have the upper hand here. That being said, when is the last time JSU lost to Alcorn or Valley.

SCG V:
1. Jackson State vs. Southern (The Ultimate Rematch)
2. Grambling vs. Jackson State (The Battle Between the two most dominant football programs in the history of the SWAC.)

JStateTiger06, you shole is right. They dont know how they're gonna win the East either, so they try to smack and cause diversions. They cant even name one player to lay their hopes upon on returning to the SCG, because they all left.

:smh:

:rolleyes:

East - JSU

Alabama State - September

JST '06, I couldn't have said it better myself. Is there some sort of diversion law in the state of Alabama or something?

Dawg Pound - Forget about JSU for one second. Please explain why AAMU will return to Birmingham.

I'm even willing to read Mighty Dog's ramblings on this matter.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MH

He did it again.....takes one word and does the Chubby Checker (twist). JSU talks with facts....why dont the rest of you try it?

Originally posted by Tigerpride

As for AAMU. They have the toughest schedule to overcome. No more going through the back door. This time they have to beat JSU, SU and Grambling. A feat they have never accomplished. Even if Gram beats JSU, it will be necessary for AAMU to beat JSU. I don't see AAMU making it through October as a contenter for the EAST. I think The MS schools have the upper hand here. That being said, when is the last time JSU lost to Alcorn or Valley.

The west is on lock with Grambling. When was the last time jsu won the swac east or a swac title in football. You still have october. jsu's season will be laughable. Nobody repescts jsu...did they ever???

Originally posted by COACH
The west is on lock with Grambling. When was the last time jsu won the swac east or a swac title in football. You still have october. jsu's season will be laughable. Nobody repescts jsu...did they ever???

:smh:

Originally posted by COACH
jsu's season will be laughable. Nobody repescts jsu...did they ever???

Uhhh,

As of last Saturday your season became laughable and because of that nobody respects Williams, Eugene, GSU or the SWAC for that matter.

Thanks a lot, Scrambling.......29-0.

Does this mean we've heard the last of this Icon/Greatness foolishness?

"An embarassment of riches",

That phrase has two words too many.......

Originally posted by unknown1
For some reason Southern Miss comes to mind....

Well, what comes to my mind is Black and Red and hearing of some K-9 by the name of Uga or are you cheering for those Honets this week?

Back