Saving Small HBCUs

LaMont_32

About a year ago an Interent rumor circulated that there were several very small HBCUs that would be closed. Fortunately, this rumor turned out to be false, and indeed, several colleges on the list responded by denying this information on their website.

However, while they have not closed, I continue to wonder how long they can survive with less than 1,000 students. In fact, several HBCUs have less than 500 students - like Jarivs Christian, Texas College, Wiley College, Southwest Christian, Arkansas Baptist College, etc.

I'm asking two questions (maybe 3)

1. Should these HBCUs be saved? Or would you prefer them to merge with larger HBCUs, etc.?

2. How long can these institutions survive with low enrollment?

3. If you do want these HBCUs saved, then how should they go about building enrollment and convincing students to attend their college?

(Feel free to comment on any question, as I'm more interested in having a serious discussion on this current state of affairs.)

Size should not be an issue. Many small schools.

The fundamental problem with the survival of HBCUs is funding and finacial support from the alumni, (Negro )corporate America and the black community in general through the UNCF et al organizations. I would say that with the condition that these orgs like UNCF be heavily policed to see to it that the maximum amount of funds given and raised get to where it needs to be which is to the students going to these HBCUs and perhaps to the universities themselves for infrastructure and capital improvements.

I feel in addition to Negros getting off our butts and supporting our schools in a concrete way, financially, these institutions bare a responsibility to be fiscally sound and "run a taught ship". They must also innovate and think out of the box in order to survive.

Take my undergraduate institution, Tuskegee University, for example. The biggest liability that Tuskegee faces right now, besides financial support from Alumni/friends/corporate, is its location and the city it is in. Back in the old days nobody cared about where Tuskegee was. You just got your arse off to college and didn't come back until you graduated. Well, now days with all the potential students in the big metro areas across the country and all of the pop culture of today, selling a student on coming to Tuskegee right smack-dab in the middle of one of the poorest counties and poorest regions of the nation IS INCREASINGLY A PROBLEM. Many students who go to Tuskegee have some kind of ties rather its a family tradition or they are from large metro areas outside the south and want the HBCU experience. We get some students from Alabama, but we are getting our brains beat out in the recruitment battle against the likes of UAB, FREAKING AUM(here in Montgomery), Auburn, Troy State, U of Alabama, U OF SOUTH ALABAMA and UAH just to name a few. The reasoning ranges from tuition cost to image (many of these parents I talk to at work say, "Tuskegee/ASU ain't nuttin' but a party school. iz sendin' my yung'un to South Alabama because das were her friends is going,,, and dey beez a whole lots cheaper tuition dan Tuskegee; TUSKEGEE TOO HIGH!!"). Whatever the case, we are not competing very well with the other colleges in fundamental areas of infrastructure, campus amenities, etc (although we have made considerable improvements since the 80s).

Tuskegee University must partner, also, with the city of Tuskegee. The city of Tuskegee has become a huge liability for the University. The town and the county are simply stagnant and having nothing to offer the students at Tuskegee nor the faculty. All it does is leech off the economic windfall of having a university there. There is nothing about the city itself that helps attract students to the college. There is no industry to speak of there that helps build a community around the college to help attract top notch instructors/professors/deans. Most of them live in either Auburn or Montgomery. This can slowly kill a University if you can't continue to attract the leadership necessary to keep the university moving forward. Thus Tuskegee must partner with the city of Tuskegee and the state to push economic development in Tuskegee to help expand the economy there and create an environment that people and students want to live in which would enhance Tuskegee's appeal to students and faculty. Same with these other small HBCUs especially if they are in rural small town areas like Tuskegee.

I think many non-urban HBCU's are facing the same problems that the smaller HBCU are facing--- poor image, bad-mouthing by alumni, in-fighting, misuse of funds, lack of funds and little or no alumni/corporate support.

I attended Alcorn and I now recruit on my own for them. Many times I have attended college fairs and our own children will bypass the HBCU's tables and head straight for the white colleges and universities. Why? The perception that they get a better education there, black schools are not serious about academics, many misconceptions they have heard from others which have never attended the school and the most common reason was BECAUSE A WHITE COUNSELOR SAYS YOUR SCHOOL ISN"T A QUALITY SCHOOL.

I must say, as compared with other nonwhite universities, our HBCU's recruitment material sucks! Poorly printed or no brochures containing info about programs. No catalogues for the students. Poor displays. Signup sheets are usually sheets of white paper. No freebies. Just all around nonprofessional.

HBCU's have got to be serious about obtaining and retaining good quality students. Get loaded informational packets and don't be STINGY about giving them out. Departments are going to have to invite potential recruits down to show them what they have to offer. Alumni will have to get into the recruitment show to. One of the best tools any of our schools can employ, is to have employed, professional alumni to tell potential students about their experience at the college/university, how they benefitted and what job they obtained coming out of the university.

We have got to sell ourselves. AS for the alumni giving, HBCU's must make a concerted effort to 1. have good business stewardship. If someone gives you the money to use in one area, don't use it for something else. 2. Give an independently audited report of alumni contributions and expenditures. 3. Have obvious visual impact with the contributions. 4. Promote giving- many schools don't ask for money. They "hound" us to be in alumni associations and act as if you don't have a voice if you are not. At every nonblack university, I have ever attended, they didn't have alumni associations you had to pay dues to enter. They solicit you even if you attended one day and dropped out.

The other thing I have noticed is that a large percentage of faculty and staff at HBCU's do not send their children to the school at which they work. Even when the child can go to school free or half price. This in itself is a powerful message.

The bottom line to me is we must believe in our alma maters and act accordingly-- vocally and financially.

Well, I work in the Marketing and Recruitment office at Jackson State University sometimes and i can say that that doesn't go for us. At JSU we believe that it's all in the presentation. Like you said, some people probably can't even see the importance of a well-organized display and sign in sheets etc. But it all makes a difference. Our displays are always compareable to those of the White schools. As an HBCU you have to be one step ahead in order to draw students.

Well, as long as we have situations like what just happen at Auburn University:

HBCUs must survive at all costs!!!

Back