Russell, 32 colleges work out major deal

Jafus (Thinker)

Posted on the MEACFANS site by SkegeeFAMU from the AJC online edition

Russell, 32 colleges work out major deal
Maria Saporta - Staff
Thursday, February 12, 2004

http://www.ajc.com/thursday/content/epaper/editions/thursday/business_04b201dc3733500c0052.html

Atlanta-based Russell Corp. is close to inking a multimillion-dollar, multiyear deal with 32 historically black colleges and universities.

"This deal is the first of its kind," according to Kevin Clayton, Russell's corporate vice president of diversity.

... See link for rest of article

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Not to be negative but Russell uniforms are UGLY. The best thing that Alabama could have done was to get rid of Russell and switch to Nike. Auburn did also, but changed its mind because it wanted to be loyal to (then) Alabama owned Russell athletics. Now Alabama jersey sales are up 100% and you NEVER see anybody wearin Auburn jerseys.

Question what does this mean to individual universities with prior sponsorships.... I know Grambling use to wear Adidas uniforms (not sure if they still do) and Morehouse has Nike everything. PV has Nike jerseys along with Jackson State. Our conference should have inked a deal with either Nike or Adidas.

I was wondering if that building I saw everyday when I was in Atlanta with the Russell name on it was the athletic company. I see it is. I drove past that building everyday on my way to work. They are in the Smyrna/Vinings area.

I think Russell has some Alcorn stuff already. I bought a shirt from the bookstore with the Russell "R" on it last month. Some of their stuff looks alright.

What ever happened to the HBCU Legends throwback uniforms that were supposed to be made? I saw the Jerry Rice Mississippi Valley throwback and the Doug Williams Grambling jersey and that was it. I saw a Walter Payton one in Eastbay made by Nike.

I learned two weeks ago that our new 2004 windsuits will come from Russell.

AC, our group is waiting on a price list from Russell on the cost of the throwbacks.

Originally posted by DAHILL
. . . (then) Alabama owned Russell athletics . . .

Russell was founded in Alexander City, Alabama and headquarterd there for decades before recently moving its HQ to Atlanta.

But they are still an "Alabama" product with several plants in the state. They have one plant here in Montgomery that's about the size of ten football fields. SWAC uniforms just might be made here.

:tup:

ANY apparel deal for any of our HCBUs is a good thing..... And Russell Athletics is a world-wide distributor....

mixed-smiley-009.gif

Back