Ruben's Godfather Strikes Back

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Talk about an offer he'd rather refuse.

Ruben Studdard 's former manager--who also happens to be the American Idol champ's godfather--has filed a $500,000 countersuit against the Soulful singer, accusing Studdard of failing to pony up management fees and additional expenses.

The suit, filed Friday in Jefferson County Circuit Court in Alabama on behalf of Ronald Edwards, rejects all the allegations at the heart of Studdard's Mar. 5 complaint, in which he claimed Edwards mismanaged $246,000 while acting as Studdard's business adviser after he won the Fox talent contest in May 2003.

Edwards' attorney, Glennon Threatt, says that when Studdard signed his iron-clad contract with Idol producers, the portly popster asked Edwards to seek out "business that was under the radar."

"Mr. Studdard wanted to continue to earn money outside of the Idol contract. My client got Ruben $250,000 to $300,000 worth of business," Threatt told E! Online. "In addition to those commissions [due to Edwards], he promised to pay my guy $3,000 $5,000 a month in professional service fees."

Per his lawsuit, Studdard accuses Edwards of writing at least 23 unauthorized checks totaling $90,000 between July 2003 and February 2004 and claims Edwards' marketing firm, SEZ Inc., racked up huge charges on Studdard's credit card along with additional expenses worth another $156,000 after Edwards was fired.

Threatt disputes those assertions, insisting that Edwards agreed to advise the budding R&B star for free before his Idol-incurred fame because of his close relationship with Studdard's family.

The attorney also claims that when Edwards started repping Ruben, Studdard's driver's license had been revoked, he was four months behind on rent, he couldn't get a cell phone and he didn't even have a working checking account.

"My client got him a checking account and paid his rent," said Threatt. "Even if the court decides there were no contract, my guy still contributed valuable services and they shouldn't get those for free."

The business fallout has taken a personal toll on Studdard's relationship with his godfather. The two have reportedly not spoken since last June.

Studdard and his representatives were not immediately available for comment Monday. The singer has been in the studio working on follow-up material to his gospel album, I Need an Angel. According to MTV, he's also looking to try his hand at acting and is meeting with Hollywood producers about potential film roles.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/17955792

Clay was not locked into the American Idol contract so he did not have to ask family members to seek out side deals on the down low to earn cash.

It also appears that Reuben has some shady people around him that are not looking out for his best interest.

cat daddy said:
Clay was not locked into the American Idol contract so he did not have to ask family members to seek out side deals on the down low to earn cash.

It also appears that Reuben has some shady people around him that are not looking out for his best interest.

Yeah like his brother.

I heard his brother was signing contracts and checks on behalf of Ruben.
Family can be your Rock, but they call also drag you down the hardest.

Ruben needs to cut some folx out of his life QUICK!!!!!

He needs to take notes from Oprah - sign your own checks and in this case contracts. These are things one MUST make time for.

:nod:

Yeah, I hear Oprah signs every check over $100.00 in her name.

Ruben is making young mistakes. You cant have cousin Jamie that took 2 years of Accounting at Columbia Community College be your bookkeeper.

He better get some proffessional help and stop employing goofy family members.

BandFan said:
:nod:
Ruben is making young mistakes. You cant have cousin Jamie that took 2 years of Accounting at Columbia Community College be your bookkeeper.
He better get some proffessional help and stop employing goofy family members.
Say it AGAIN, BF. :tup:

Fortitude said:
He needs to take notes from Oprah - sign your own checks and in this case contracts. These are things one MUST make time for.

That's my GUL!

Uh, don't do business with my family is my comment for Rube!

Life lesson here. With Reuben's voice, he will continue to do well but Godfather is forever screwed. I don't know why he thought that ALL the money that Reuben made should go to him? That's crazy. I'm just saying this because I'm sure that Reuben hasn't made that many millions yet.

I was watching "One Hit Wonders" on VH1 last week. Rapper Rob Base and his sidekick were talking about how one of their main problems for not making it "big" or going further in their career was due to poor business management.
Their advice to young artists was to: "Read everything, get a good lawyer and then get another lawyer to watch the first lawyer." :lol: But that's real though. You have got to be smart in that business (and any other) and get people under you who are going to sincerely look out for your best interest. I guess some people tend to think that "family" won't screw you over, because they're blood. But not so.

Where is it saying family screwed him over??? Ya'll ever stop to think Reuben might be the problem here? Especially since this ain't the first time some BS like this has happened?

Nahhh of course not.....Big Rube's an angel right???

P. S. Maybe it doesn't happen to Clay Aiken cause maybe he is a different type of person..... :idea:

Bengal E said:
Where is it saying family screwed him over??? Ya'll ever stop to think Reuben might be the problem here? Especially since this ain't the first time some BS like this has happened?

Nahhh of course not.....Big Rube's an angel right???

P. S. Maybe it doesn't happen to Clay Aiken cause maybe he is a different type of person..... :idea:

I think that's what everyone is trying to say dawg. Ruben needs to associate with folx that have his best INTEREST. It was Ruben decision to have his Godfather run money and his brother to sign stuff on his behalf.

He is learning a valuble lesson. Who the L said Ruben was an Angel?

Back