Roland Martin, Fox Business' Charles V. Payne Battle Over Education Of Black Children

1) When he is saying finding out that students learn in different ways. That's nothing new to public education. We call it differentiated instruction where you use different techniques to reach each child in the classroom.

2) School choice is the biggest crock of s---. There some that do it the right way, but a lot of charter schools are just present to make money off of the neediest population of children.

They feed off of impoverished areas promising high academic excellence, when a lot of these charter schools have policies in place that allow them to cherry-pick their students. A charter school in my school district doesn't offer free or reduced lunch, doesn't offer transportation, and forces the parents to buy the full school uniform from them. Now this is a school that's supposed to be a better option for the poor black children in the area, yet you make them pay full price for lunch or bring their own lunch, find their own transportation to the school, and then forces them to pay for high-priced uniforms that they could have got for free or at a discounted price at area stores or thift stores. Not to mention they kick out their discipline problems and low-academic students once the roll date hits.

There would be no need for school choice if folks just focused on improving the neighborhood school so that it can be viewed as a viable option for education.

2) School choice is the biggest crock of s---. There some that do it the right way, but a lot of charter schools are just present to make money off of the neediest population of children.

They feed off of impoverished areas promising high academic excellence, when a lot of these charter schools have policies in place that allow them to cherry-pick their students. A charter school in my school district doesn't offer free or reduced lunch, doesn't offer transportation, and forces the parents to buy the full school uniform from them. Now this is a school that's supposed to be a better option for the poor black children in the area, yet you make them pay full price for lunch or bring their own lunch, find their own transportation to the school, and then forces them to pay for high-priced uniforms that they could have got for free or at a discounted price at area stores or thift stores. Not to mention they kick out their discipline problems and low-academic students once the roll date hits.

There would be no need for school choice if folks just focused on improving the neighborhood school so that it can be viewed as a viable option for education.
I agree with all of the above. The only thing I would add is if public school parents were as involved as charter school parents (and I know it is mandatory in charter schools) then many of the public school issues would Houdini. Explain to me how it is that a charter school parent can make Saturday meetings and other mandatory meetings and public school parents (for the most part) cannot? And how is it charter schools can make those demands on parents and public schools cannot?

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above. The only thing I would add is if public school parents were as involved as charter school parents (and I know it is mandatory in charter schools) then the many of the public school issues would Houdini. Explain to me how it is that a charter school parent can make Saturday meetings and other mandatory meetings and public school parents (for the most part) cannot? And how is it charter schools can make those demands on parents and public schools cannot?
That's something I never understood. It shouldn't be bad for a school to expect and require their parents to be active in their child's learning. Legislators tell us we can't make those requirements, but are quick to tout the successful charter schools that are able to make those demands.

Back