Robert Vowels four point mission:Rate it

Robber said:
We need to get the Council of Presidents out of the decision-making process. Whether that be by Vowels getting the balls to tell them to let him run the conference or by they themselves acknowledging that they don't know isht about sports and let the man they chose to be commish make the decisions regarding the conference athletics. President Mason will tell you in a minute that he knows very little about football.

Robber,

I personally don't have any confidence in some of our SWAC AD to make decisions. For example, I would prefer Chancellor Jackson to have input on what happens. But, I would give Kerr the autonomy to cast his vote with committe (other AD'S) before the final vote. Another example would be I question Jackson State A.D. decision making ability (Bell hire is one point of reference). If Mason is weak with athletics that adds insult to injury. I could talk about more but thought I would focus on the heavy weights as examples. Neither would I like to see any single person like the commissioner with too much power without redress.

JROCK,

The Council could always check the commish, but they don't need to making all the damn decisions. If they're doing that, then why have a commish. Like any boss, you give your subordinates your objective and tell them to achieve it in the most efficient manner. Again, if the Council makes the decisions, then we are wasting money on Vowels.

Commissioner Vowels is a waste of the white mans air...period.

And all you that think this idiot needs more time should be ashamed of yourself. More time to do what? He hasnt done a damn thing so far but sit back and blamce the previous administration for the recent debacles.

Robber said:
JROCK,

The Council could always check the commish, but they don't need to making all the damn decisions. If they're doing that, then why have a commish. Like any boss, you give your subordinates your objective and tell them to achieve it in the most efficient manner. Again, if the Council makes the decisions, then we are wasting money on Vowels.

JROCK said:
I think checks and balances should be put in place to make the commissioner less of a figure head.

Get Ready said:
Commissioner Vowels is a waste of the white mans air...period.

And all you that think this idiot needs more time should be ashamed of yourself. More time to do what? He hasnt done a damn thing so far but sit back and blamce the previous administration for the recent debacles.

I would like to hear him address this forum in a Q&A format to find out his perceived encumbrances (may be realistic) and exactly what does he have the autonomy to accomplish without micro management from the C.O.P. I am not sure that there is not a structural defect with the SWAC office.

What pisses me off about the SWAC the most is ole politics. For this reason is why I just can't support BS. UAPB/SU not being forced to play is BS. No way would that happen in one of the elite conferences in the country, but yet we want to the same treatment as one of the elite conferences.

Not having the SCG rotated between the different SWAC states.

I don't know if it is the Commish or ole politics that is holding the SWAC back, but it is surely something.

JROCK said:
Another example would be I question Jackson State A.D. decision making ability (Bell hire is one point of reference). .
You can't question Culberson's decision making ability on the basis of one hire.

The Council of Presidents will have to trust their hiring! I realize that they are a bit gun shy about giving the commish total leeway after the Rudy Washington debacle. However, they must give the commish the freedom to bring proposals and ideas to them and where feasible, legal, and in the best interest of the conference allow him to implement the change.

I just hope that he has a uniform schedule that is fair to all schools. I hope that we can work out a revenue sharing plan (especially in football) to allow all schools to benefit and grow. As a conference we could be a force in the Sports market. We have a huge alumni base and fringe following. A strong athletic conference (which is what the commissioner is concerned with...academics falls individually to the schools) must be marketed and showcased to help continue to attract an academic oriented and athetic-oriented fan base.

Thank Tig-Jag (you need to start spelling your name right)

MikeBigg said:
I hope that we can work out a revenue sharing plan (especially in football) to allow all schools to benefit and grow.
Define revenue sharing. Aside from the championship game in football, what can you possibly expect schools to share???

Robber said:
Define revenue sharing. Aside from the championship game in football, what can you possibly expect schools to share???

The championship game (which you announced) would be the first place to start. Ask each school to include market the game as part of their season ticket package. Let each school receive a percentage of the game day proceeds in direct relation to the number of SCG ticket percentage sold at the beginning of the year. Another possible area of revenue sharing is from
any television proceeds...the Commish needs to be able to negotiate on behalf of the entire conference for a television "Game of the Week". It might be a regional package initially, but with an effective marketing plan it could be done and done successfully!

The SWAC spring meetings take place May 24-28 in Biloxi. From an alumni point of view, we as alumni directors have not met with the commissioner since our meeting in B'ham three years ago or just after Rudy took office. There were some terse, tight comments made at the meeting which may have contributed to us being put on ice since. However, I'm going because Vowels requested the meeting with us. If you all have some issues with what is going on in the conference, call your alumni director and let him or her know your feelings!

I'm very, very, very, very, very sure that <b>our homegrown AD</b> is aware of what it takes to progress. I just hope that the "old guard" doesn't rear it's ugly head and thwart progress.

stripes said:
The SWAC spring meetings take place May 24-28 in Biloxi. From an alumni point of view, we as alumni directors have not met with the commissioner since our meeting in B'ham three years ago or just after Rudy took office. There were some terse, tight comments made at the meeting which may have contributed to us being put on ice since. However, I'm going because Vowels requested the meeting with us. If you all have some issues with what is going on in the conference, call your alumni director and let him or her know your feelings!

This is a meeting that National Alumni Presidents should attend. I attended the meeting in Birmingham because almuni directors are not on the same page with athletics or alumni associations. If you recall at that meetings Rudy asked for suggestions and information to improve things in the SWAC and they were all protective of their domain. Being new to the SWAC I could not believe the individualism that took place at that meeting. In addition, Rudy could not help to leave the meeting with negative feelings and disappointments.

MightyDog said:
This is a meeting that National Alumni Presidents should attend. I attended the meeting in Birmingham because almuni directors are not on the same page with athletics or alumni associations. If you recall at that meetings Rudy asked for suggestions and information to improve things in the SWAC and they were all protective of their domain. Being new to the SWAC I could not believe the individualism that took place at that meeting. In addition, Rudy could not help to leave the meeting with negative feelings and disappointments.

Mighty Dog, that is becasue that is what they are used to. We are so used to doing what we want, how we want, until we don't want to change. Rudy might have done some bad things but Rudy did have an agenda and he pushed it. Vowels is a p*s*y.

Back