Robert Mathis notes: Gives Colts

Cameo

Soft-Spoken Mathis Gives Colts

INDIANAPOLIS ? He leads the Colts in sacks this season, but you won?t likely hear him say too much about that.

And bragging?

That?s about the last thing Robert Mathis would think to do.

Mathis, the Colts? second-year defensive end, leads the team in sacks after five games this season. He has four, twice as many as any player on a Colts defensive like that includes Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Asked this week if he might good-naturedly tease Freeney about his lead, Mathis? eyes widened. Then he shook his head.

?There?s a time and a place for everything,? Mathis said as the AFC South-leading Colts (4-1) went through several practices at the Union Federal during the team?s bye week. ?The moment I pick at someone is the moment something bad goes wrong for me.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=2373

Re: Robert Mathis Ranked in top three for sacks

Man Mathis was a beast yesterday against the Texans. He had 3 sacks and caused a fumble each time. One was returned for a touchdown. He now has 8 on the year (in a backup role). Rep Alabama A&M and the SWAC well Robert. :tup: :tup:

Robert Mathis is really having a great season this year!

dude is becoming a master with the "swat-the-ball" tactic causing fumbles everywhere! Coach Towns(AAMU) has always emphasized this on defense...I know Coach Dungy is very grateful of the effort Mathis puts on the field...

Mathis is one helluva player. He's turned out to be a real steal for the Colts.

Another Article On Mathis

Colts' tandem getting downright sack happy
Freeney, Mathis have combined for 16 heading into Thanksgiving game at Detroit.

By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com
November 23, 2004

When talk turns to which pass rush tandem is the NFL's most prolific, the conversation typically does not include the oft-maligned Indianapolis Colts. That's just fine with Dwight Freeney.

"Yeah, I'm sure no one's talking about us," said the Colts' Pro Bowl defensive end. "That's how we like it. (But) when it comes to the end of the day, we're getting it done."

The Colts (7-3) will share the Thanksgiving Day stage with the Detroit Lions (4-6) Thursday in Ford Field. The Motor City is bracing for an appearance by the Peyton Manning-led offensive machine, but it would be a mistake to overlook Freeney and Robert Mathis.

The bookend pass rushers have collected 16 sacks between them, the most by a tandem in the league. Mathis ranks second in the NFL with a career-high nine sacks, one-half sack behind pace-setter John Abraham of the New York Jets. Mathis is threatening to eclipse Freeney's single-season club record of 13 established in 2002.

Read full story at:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/196843-4664-036.html

Re: Another Article On Mathis

Props out to Robert Mathis! he will more than likely break Freeney's sack record this season...

TRU3000 said:
Props out to Robert Mathis! he will more than likely break Freeney's sack record this season...

If he had been playing on more than obvious passing downs, he probably would be close to the record right now. He is really putting fear in the minds of linemen and quarterbacks right now. In another year, with more weight and strength added, he might just become the best rusher in the game.

Props to Mathis...I always look for No. 98 when the Colts play...

BTW...I remember the SU homecoming game when he was lighting Terrance Levy/Troy Williams up like Christmas..i was like ...dayum..can y'all trip him or something...

Robert Mathis (Sack Attack)

Robert Mathis is making is presence known
He is presently the sack leader in the NFL with a total of 10

Back