Robert Kent (NFL Draft Sleeper)

Ksmith,

This is a hate topic for you because of the Ted White and Jay Walker flops. The SWAC not had great success with QB's but Steve McNair and Doug Williams are the only names that need to be mentioned when you put NFL, QB, and BCF in the same sentence.

When did Kent play WR?? Are you talking about High school??

I have not seen Kent's 40 time that low ever but I don't know what article you are talking about.

Kent has been invited to 2 (maybe three bowls) this year.

This why typing with thinking is dangerous.

Originally posted by ksmith
Uninformed about what Tigerpride? I give JSU credit for being able to get 1st round draft choices. Even though both of those players who went in the first round have not panned out to well.

We will see how Kent fares, but I'm not optomistic.

The MEAC has more experience with watching QB's compete for NFL jobs. It ain't no joke!!!

Who was the last SWAC QB to get in camp and truly compete for a job?

What bowl games has Kent been invited too?

Recent MEAC QB's who have competed for jobs:

Ted White and Jay Walker.....Howard

Quinn Gray, Pat Bonner, and JuJuan Seider....FAMU

We patted them all on the back for giving it a good shot.

Jay Walker stayed around for 5 years. Ted only made the active roster for 5 games after trying for 4 years.

The last time Howard played JSU in Jackson Kent was a wide receiver. I think Kent started out as QB, but had to go to WR for some reason. Maybe when "Cat" was hurt. I dunno???

What bowl games has Kent been invited too?

Recent MEAC QB's who have competed for jobs:

We patted them all on the back for giving it a good shot.

Jay Walker stayed around for 5 years. Ted only made the active roster for 5 games after trying for 4 years.

The last time Howard played JSU in Jackson Kent was a wide receiver. I think Kent started out as QB, but had to go to WR for some reason. Maybe when "Cat" was hurt. I dunno???

Man, are you talking about T.C. Taylor. I have seen all of J-State's games over the past 5 years or so. Kent never played WR here. Kent didn't even play with "Cat". "Cat" played with Mark Washingon and T.C. Taylor. Kent is the reason T.C. Taylor was moved to WR. I don't think you even know who Kent is, or you have him mixed up. T.C. Taylor was the QB switched to WR. Lawd have mercy.

He will also be playing in his third post-season all-star game this weekend.

None of these QB's are on Kent's level. Pat Bonner was the equivalent to Darnell Kennedy...productive but not NFL material.

Kent has already played in the Blue and Grey game and in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Please come on here better informed the next time.

First of all, get you QB knowledge up to par, then come back.
Cat played with Mark Washington as QB

http://www.nfldraftworld.com/robertkentprofile.htm

Prospect: Robert Kent

School: Jackson State

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-4 1/4

Weight: 219

40: 4.67

Draft Projection: Round 5/Round 6

Bio: Indianola, Mississippi is his hometown? he wears number 1 on game tape? played basketball in high school alongside football? he was a punter then and he didn?t start playing quarterback until his senior season? stepped into the starting role at Quarterback the 3rd game of his freshman season at JSU? had a 39.5 yard average punting as a freshman? finalist for the Conerly Trophy (Mississippi?s best college football player) each of the last two season?s alongside Eli Manning and Rod Davis? Preseason All-American by many publications going into his senior season? should be a top candidate for the Walter Payton trophy (given to D1-AA?s top player)? received a 5.4 grade (0.00- 8.00 scale) by National Scouting Services

Stats: 165 of 331 for 2510 yards, 27 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions as a freshman? 245 of 453 for 3615 yards, 31 touchdowns, and 21 interceptions as a sophomore? 232 of 395 for 3386 yards, 31 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions as a junior? 126 of 244 for 1521 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions through 8 games as a senior

Character/Medical Issues: Kent hasn?t missed a game in his four years at Jackson State.

Arm Strength: Shows great velocity on his passes and can throw the ball ?way? deep. A lot of arm strength.

Accuracy: Kent?s arm is at times erratic. Although, his overall accuracy is improving.

Field Vision: Kent shows great field vision. He uses all his wide receivers on the field and he is able to read defenses.

Touch: Kent shows pretty good touch on his deep passes.

Mobility: Kent loves to run the ball. He is very athletic and has speed somewhere in the 4.6-4.7 range. Good rushing ability.

Release: Kent has a very, very quick delivery and he shows no wasted motion.

Mechanics: He has decent mechanics. He sets his feet nicely and has the ability to control his body.

Drop Back: In the pass-heavy spread offense at Jackson State, he isn?t asked to drop back often. Although, he shows good drop back skills in shotgun and should be able to adjust from under the center.

Judgment: Shows pretty good judgment. He knows when to throw, when to get rid of the ball, and when to run.

Pocket Presence: Shows a decent pocket presence. He stands a little too tall, but he makes for it with his running ability.

Overall Analysis: Robert Kent is the top small school prospect at the quarterback position. Although, just because he does play at a small school, he shouldn?t be overlooked. He has a great blend of accuracy, arm strength, and mobility. These great physical tools also combine well with his mental tools. He is very smart and he shows outstanding judgment inside the pocket. He reminds of a smaller version of Steve McNair, because of his mobility, big arm, and overall toughness. As I said, he has yet to miss a game in his 4-year college career. He has a quick drop back and he has the ability to get depth. He has decent accuracy and he throws the ball very well on the run. He is also very successful running the ball. He has great speed and great open field running skills. He has decent size for a quarterback but may lack a little needed bulk. He needs to play lower. Another concern people have of him is his experience in NFL-style offenses. Right through junior year, the team was using a lot of shotgun where he had options of passing or running almost every play. However the Jackson State staff has made a huge adjustment realizing Kent?s overall talent and they have changed the offense somewhat and he is becoming a little more used to the pro sets. Kent has a chance of being invited to the Senior Bowl, where he?ll see a lot more competition on the defensive side of the ball. I hope to see him there. In conclusion, I definitely see there being a team who will take a chance on him early in Day 2, if they use him right he may become a very, very good quarterback.

Pro Prospect Rating: 79.50

I-AA QB gets his chance to shine

By Jeff Darlington | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted January 30, 2004

His teammates say he's one of the leaders on the South's squad. They say he's one of the most talented, too.

So why then doesn't QB Robert Kent stand out as one of The Villages Gridiron Classic's top names from Division I-A football?

That's simple. He didn't play I-A football.

Kent, the Jackson State quarterback who passed for 2,283 yards and 15 touchdowns last season, now has the chance to play with the names with whom he's so used to being compared.

As a standout on the Division I-AA level, he's also out to prove he can handle the challenge.

"Regardless of where you go to school, if you've got talent you can play with the best," said Kent, a likely candidate to be picked up late in the NFL draft.

It seems he's already earned the respect of his teammates. Several players said Kent has become one of the most outspoken athletes on the squad.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...n30,1,2166308.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

I think ksmith forgot where he was...LOL

This is the SWACPAGE.....Where the BIG BOYS Play!!!!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

One would think that Kent would go in the mid rounds based on the ranking listed below. Kent is a much better QB than LSU's Mauck who will probably go in the early rounds because of the National Championship.

Pos Pos
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
QB 1 Ben Roethlisberger JR 6-5/240/- Miami (Oh) Findlay, OH
QB 2 Eli Manning SR 6-4/215/- Mississippi New Orleans, LA
QB 3 Philip Rivers SR 6-5/236/- North Carolina State Athens, AL
QB 4 J.P. Losman SR 6-3/220/4.65 Tulane Los Angeles, CA
QB 5 Cody Pickett SR 6-4/215/- Washington Caldwell, ID
QB 6 Luke McCown SR 6-4/210/- Louisiana Tech Jacksonville, TX
QB 7 John Navarre SR 6-6/228/- Michigan Cudahy, WI
QB 8 Robert Kent SR 6-4/220/4.75 Jackson State Indianola, MS
QB 9 Josh Harris SR 6-3/238/- Bowling Green Westerville, OH
QB 10 Jared Lorenzen SR 6-4/260/-

Originally posted by TRU2GSU
One would think that Kent would go in the mid rounds based on the ranking listed below. Kent is a much better QB than LSU's Mauck who will probably go in the early rounds because of the National Championship.

Pos Pos
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
QB 1 Ben Roethlisberger JR 6-5/240/- Miami (Oh) Findlay, OH
QB 2 Eli Manning SR 6-4/215/- Mississippi New Orleans, LA
QB 3 Philip Rivers SR 6-5/236/- North Carolina State Athens, AL
QB 4 J.P. Losman SR 6-3/220/4.65 Tulane Los Angeles, CA
QB 5 Cody Pickett SR 6-4/215/- Washington Caldwell, ID
QB 6 Luke McCown SR 6-4/210/- Louisiana Tech Jacksonville, TX
QB 7 John Navarre SR 6-6/228/- Michigan Cudahy, WI
QB 8 Robert Kent SR 6-4/220/4.75 Jackson State Indianola, MS
QB 9 Josh Harris SR 6-3/238/- Bowling Green Westerville, OH
QB 10 Jared Lorenzen SR 6-4/260/-

Winning that national championship won't help Mauck's draft status. Once you get to the combine, it's a whole new ballgame. Just look at the Heisman winning QBs. That doesn't usually mean anything on draft day. Jason White was being projected lower than Kent before he decided to stay in school. NFL teams see them differently than the average fan watching TV. Ask Charlie Ward!

Prodigy I hear what you are saying, but I just can't figure why Mauck would declare himself eligable for draft when he is not good. Just wondering if Mauck has an agent who is trying to sell him to a team. I have read on TSPN where some would like Kent to go to the Titans and learn under McNair and Fisher. That is a great idea.

Originally posted by TRU2GSU
Prodigy I hear what you are saying, but I just can't figure why Mauck would declare himself eligable for draft when he is not good. Just wondering if Mauck has an agent who is trying to sell him to a team. I have read on TSPN where some would like Kent to go to the Titans and learn under McNair and Fisher. That is a great idea.

Don't be shocked if that happened with Kent going to the Titans. I have heard those rumblings as well.

Mauck basically is just stepping aside for JaMarcus Russell. Mauck already wants to be a Dentist and has been accepted to Dental school. But why not throw yourself in the NFL draft since you know you aint coming back to play in college. If he gets drafted that's a plus for him. Plus he may just make somebody's squad. Look at the Backups around the league. Aint like Mauck thinks he will be a franchise QB. But he can't be no worse than some of these bench riding Qbs.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
I think ksmith forgot where he was...LOL

This is the SWACPAGE.....Where the BIG BOYS Play!!!!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

True that!

Actually, Ted White is still playing in Canada. He was the backup for the Montreal Alouettes (runner ups in the Grey Cup). Prior to that Ted was assigned to NFL Europe by the Raiders and had a very good showing splitting time.

He comes by to visit when he's in town and the political stories he tells (unrelated to race) is incredible. Despite leading his team in passing yardage and jumping from 3rd team to starter during their short training camp...he was never allowed to be the full time starter.

There's still some interest from the NFL...but he's weighing his options. It's possible he'll end up in Houston with Steve Wilson.

I think that Kent will do well with the proper coaching and if he's in the right situation.To say he will never see the field in the NFL is absurd with the way qb's are getting hurt now.I bet no one thought Kurt Warner would ever see the field and all the man did was win a superbowl his first season as a starter.Ted White is an NFL caliber qb if he can find the right situation.I think Ksmith has Robert Kent confused with TC Taylor who started as qb in 2000 but was switched after Kent took over.I wish him well and will be looking for his name to be called on the second day of the draft.

Back