Richard Cosby resigns as Stillman AD

orange tiger

Crosby resigns as athletic director for Stillman College

By David Wasson
Executive Sports Editor

TUSCALOOSA | Richard Cosby, who returned for his third stint as Stillman College athletic director in August 2003, has resigned. Stillman College director of public relations Cresandra Smothers said Monday that Cosby resigned late last week, and that the school was soliciting candidates for his replacement.

?He resigned last week, likely it was Thursday, and did so for personal reasons,? Smothers said. ?The position has been sent to other outlets to be publicized. Most likely, a search committee will be appointed, but there is not a committee yet."

Calls to Cosby?s office Monday were not returned, and requests to speak to him were forwarded to the school?s public relations department.

Stillman College president Ernest McNealey did not return messages left for him at his office.

Stillman had a job posting for an athletic director, a staff position with the school, posted on its Web site Monday afternoon.

Cosby also held the athletic director?s position at Stillman from 1973-1991 and from July 2000-January 2003.

Cosby returned to Stillman in the summer of 2003 after a seven-month stint as athletics director at NCAA Division I-AA Alabama State University in Montgomery.

After accepting the ASU job, Cosby had to face a recent investigation into what he said was an ?almost totally out of control? football program that used ineligible players, changed athletes? grades and entertained recruits with strippers.

Cosby brings more than 30 years of experience in athletics and administration at various institutions of higher education, including Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Mo., and Clark Atlanta University.

During his 2000-2003 stay at Stillman, Cosby used his considerable knowledge of NCAA regulations to help the NCAA Division III Tigers make the move to the current provisional Division II status, as well as developing the Inaugural Druid City Classic.

To meet the requirements for Division II status, Stillman needs to field scholarship teams in at least 10 sports, a requirement the school is already meeting. Stillman competes in football, baseball, softball and volleyball, and fields men?s and women?s teams in basketball, track and field, cross country and tennis.

The school has to provide more than 100 athletic scholarships to fully fund each sport, although it can satisfy NCAA requirements by funding two-thirds of the full scholarship load for each sport. In August, Cosby said the school was well on its way to meeting that standard.

?We?re not at the maximum in any of those,? Cosby said at the time. ?We haven?t gotten there yet. We?re fairly close, I?d say.?
In May, Stillman hired former University of Alabama All-American Leon Douglas to coach men?s basketball.

Douglas currently has five scholarships, half the number allowed in Division II, spread among 15 players.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041018/NEWS/41018012/1007

When I read the article this morning I wondered if these were the same personal reasons that he gave when he left ASU. I never really liked 'ol puddin' pop in the first place. He came off as a schyster to me and someone who really didn't have a grasp of running a D-IAA program. If he did get the nod to go to another SWAC program, the only thing I would have to say is BEWARE of this guy because he will not represent a program in the most professional and business-like way.

Also, if he goes to JSU, we will beat them for the next ten years. We already have five under our belts. :smash:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

How many times is this dude going to resign from this job? He has been at Stillman 3 times already. No matter what level you play on, U DON'T WANT THIS GUY ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR PROGRAM! HE BRINGS NEW MEANING TO UNPROFESSIONALISM! :smash:

JagBR said:
Is he related to Bill?
GOD I hope not! If he is, this cat is definitely on the collapsed side of the family tree. One of the main things I didn't like about Cosby is that he always smiled and snickered at important questions thrown at him that dealt with serious issues; especially if it concerned L.C. Cole. If JSU tries to give this guy a sniff of a chance at AD, I really feel sorry for them because they can prepare for some hard-arse times to look forward to.

JSU has made some stupid personell moves in thier athletic department but I don't think they're this stupid. There is probally only one school in the SWAC that would give him a job and that is ASU. The reason for this is that he can provide incriminating evidense on several university officials. As long as the current administration is in place he will always have an ace up his sleeve in regaurds to ASU.

BNGguy said:
When I read the article this morning I wondered if these were the same personal reasons that he gave when he left ASU. I never really liked 'ol puddin' pop in the first place. He came off as a schyster to me and someone who really didn't have a grasp of running a D-IAA program. If he did get the nod to go to another SWAC program, the only thing I would have to say is BEWARE of this guy because he will not represent a program in the most professional and business-like way.
:nod: I know first hand, my son play baseball there last season and Cosby is so unprofessional.I`m so happy my son left,and now is a jaguar. :lol:

OnlySU said:
:nod: I know first hand, my son play baseball there last season and Cosby is so unprofessional.I`m so happy my son left,and now is a jaguar. :lol:

Well I won't hold it against you that your son swapped out his colors but you hit it right on the head on Cosby. He's funnier than a late 70's jello instant pudding commercial. He doesn't come off as an intelligent person at all. I cannot even fathom the idea of him finishing college and obtaining a degree. He doesn't seem to take things seriously and he has no professional work ethic about himself. Ghetto apparatus is what he brings to the table. He's a real cancer for an athletic program.

BNGguy said:
Well I won't hold it against you that your son swapped out his colors but you hit it right on the head on Cosby. He's funnier than a late 70's jello instant pudding commercial. He doesn't come off as an intelligent person at all. I cannot even fathom the idea of him finishing college and obtaining a degree. He doesn't seem to take things seriously and he has no professional work ethic about himself. Ghetto apparatus is what he brings to the table. He's a real cancer for an athletic program.
You are soooooooooooooo right :nod:

Back