Rhames as 'Kojak'

SLT

Rhames savors lollipop-loving 'Kojak' role

How could we forget that lovable cop and his lollipop?

Thirty-two years ago television introduced us to Theo Kojak, a cop who knew everyone and everything. As played by Telly Savalas, he solved cases, sucked those suckers and projected power.

Now he's back in a cable series with a new actor (Ving Rhames) and the old confidence. "He's the prince of the city," Rhames says.

Fans of the original series can compare the two since season one of the 1970s TV show hit stores Tuesday in a three-box DVD set.

Meanwhile, despite the obvious difference, Rhames and the late Savalas have much in common ? both are native New Yorkers, are big, bald and commanding. Savalas may have been Greek and Rhames black, but that difference soon seems minor.

Read story here

On TV

The new Kojak opens with a movie from 8-10 p.m. today on the USA Network, repeating at 9 p.m. Sunday. It then slips into its regular one-hour timeslot at 9 p.m. Sundays.

I saw it, and I thought it was alright, but it has the potential to be a really great show. The only thing stopping it, the log jam of cop drama's on tv, especially originating in New York.

NICE

D-NICE said:
I saw it, and I thought it was alright, but it has the potential to be a really great show. The only thing stopping it, the log jam of cop drama's on tv, especially originating in New York.

NICE
Never thought about that. You have a point. Was the original Telly on the show? Did he make a Cameo?
Why did they go with Ving anyways?

docmump said:
Was the original Telly on the show? Did he make a Cameo?

Telly Savalas died years ago. I liked it and think it may turn out to be a pretty good show.

Back