Rev. James Cleveland

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I was jamming "no ways tired" (one of my favorite cuts of all time btw and couldn't help but think about the rumors. Was he really a phedophile and did he die from Aids?:shame::shame:

I was jamming "no ways tired" (one of my favorite cuts of all time btw and couldn't help but think about the rumors. Was he really a phedophile and did he die from Aids?:shame::shame:
I have not heard accusations of pedophilia. I do know that he had a foster son named Chris who sued the estate claiming sexual misconduct that resulted in AIDS. The case was settled out-of-court.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have not heard accusations of pedophilia. I do know that he had a foster son named Chris who sued the estate claiming sexual misconduct that resulted in AIDS. The case was settled out-of-court.

Chris was the pedophilia case I was talking about. He supposedly was 13 at the time. I didn't know if he was just a vulture taking advantage of the family or if those rumors about gmwa were true. His latter work with fighting against AIDS and the sudden death does make me raise eyebrows on that part. However, it won't make cut off my James Cleveland mix on the IPOD. He is still the GOAT...

wow.. what is it with homosexuality and Gospel singers..:shame::shame:

Man, I believe Richard Smallwood is gay also. I used to be a member of Metropolitan Baptist in D.C. Richard is a member there and sings there when he's in town. He lives over in Bowie and I see him sometimes at Safeway buying groceries. The way he talks and acts leads me to believe that he is that way. Some of the guys he hung out with at church are that way also.

Last edited by a moderator:
JAG89,
I am not talking about just in the industry. How many gay male choir directors or piano players have you met??

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I've heard rumors from a family member (who is openly gay organist) that is heavy into the gospel scene (don't know if this true or not) that when he travelled from city to city to perform seminars and conduct workshops some of his friends that lived in the city would have young men set aside and ready for him for his sexual favors (sorry for the run-on..lol). I was shocked out of my mind when I heard this. :shame:

Last edited:
So if he was actually an "awful old man" and/or a pedophilia, will you continue to help his "legacy" live? support his legacy?

Also the other singers/artists...like R. Kelly (for the post above)...do you still support them?

I'm not trying to meet any, but from observations, there seems to be quite a few.

My dad was a choir director and we traveled alot... My dad used to say that he was the last of a dying breed. Straight male choir directors...

Chris was the pedophilia case I was talking about. He supposedly was 13 at the time. I didn't know if he was just a vulture taking advantage of the family or if those rumors about gmwa were true. His latter work with fighting against AIDS and the sudden death does make me raise eyebrows on that part. However, it won't make cut off my James Cleveland mix on the IPOD. He is still the GOAT...
Before you go there...you also need to know that Cleveland was known as the GOAT thief at stealing songs. It is said that most of the CHOIR songs that he got credit for were not actually his. He had a habit of hanging around choirs and picking off their original songs. Because of his connections, he could beat most of them to the studio and pressings.

It has been said that James Cleveland, because of his propensity for acquiring songs, is singly responsible for the influx of copyrights for gospel music after 1960. Prior to that, the vast majority of gospel songs in the 20th century were in the public domain.

That really hurts to know!!!!!:(:(:(:bawling::bawling::bawling: seriously!

Back