Results: America's Most Dangerous Cities

truthteller

The Critic
This is this years rankings for the most dangerous cities in the US. A total of 327 cities were surveyed for 2001 with populations of at least 75,000. What do you all think of this?

1. Detroit, MI
2. Atlanta, GA
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Gary, IN
6. Camden, NJ
7. Tampa, FL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Compton, CA
10. Memphis, TN
11. New Orleans, LA
12. Washington, DC
13. Kansas City, MO
14. Richmond, VA
15. Dayton, OH
16. Flint, MI
17. Miami, FL
18. Youngtown, OH
19. Dallas, TX
20. Newark, NJ
21. Trenton, NJ
22. Chattanooga, TN
23. Orlando, FL
24. Philadelphia, PA
25. Reading, PA
26. Birmingham, AL
27. Cleveland, OH
28. Oakland, CA
29. Savannah, GA
30. Minneapolis, MN
31. Hammond, IN
32. Nashville, TN
33. Bridgeport, CT
34. Tacoma, WA
35. Milwaukee, WI
36. Hartford, CT
37. Springfield, MA
38. Providence, RI
39. Winston-Salem, NC
40. Shreveport, LA
41. New Haven, CT
42. Columbus, OH
43. Miami Beach, FL
44. Canton, OH
45. Kalamazoo, MI
46. St. Petersburg, FL
47. Little Rock, AR
48. Buffalo, NY
49. Topeka, KS
50. Durham, NC

Baton Rouge, LA refused to submitt it's information to the FBI in time for tallying the results this year. It ranked as 32nd most dangerous out of a total of 322 cities surveyed in 2000. In 1999, it ranked at #26 out of 315.

Jackson, MS did not even get looked at this year. I don't know the reason. But it was ranked as the 11th most dangerous city out of a total of 322 in 2000. In 1999, it ranked at #13 out of 315.

Both Detroit, MI and Atlanta, GA have been in the same exact spots since 1999.

Originally posted by truthteller

Jackson, MS did not even get looked at this year. I don't know the reason. But it was ranked as the 11th most dangerous city out of a total of 322 in 2000. In 1999, it ranked at #13 out of 315.

And people ask me why I own 6 assault rifles.....

The reason why Jackson did'nt submit their information was because they had none.....

Mayor Harvey Johnson cited the reason why he could'nt report crime stats during his re-election was due to get this, "Computer Problems with the Database"....

And folks re-elected this clown.....

BTW, when the Mayor's staff found out that they could'nt pad the stats since it was an election year then they mysteriously had database problems.....

What is so funny, the city of Jackson reported several incidents where someone was robbed at gunpoint as purse snatchings instead of armed robbery to try and lower the crime stats....It was still too high, so they opted to ditch the data altogether.

Don't blame me I voted for NEELY!!!
So here is some advice for you vistiors and residents of the capital city of Mississippi......
STAY STRAPPED DOWN IN JACKTOWN !!!

I am not surprised at some of the cities. The closest one that I am to is Compton and there are sections of Los Angeles, that are far worse than Compton. Some cities, I would not at all be interested in going to but if I ever do I know to watch my back. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

That's sad and crooked news about Jackson, MS. It's a shame to be a city not even a population of 200,000 and rank so high on that list.

I live in New Orleans, and even I have had my car broken into on a university's property. The N.O. crackheads just needed some quick cash, so they took it upon themselves to break the driver's side window ....only to steal a cell phone adapter and CD Player adapter. Other people have been held at gunpoint and knifepoint to surrender their cars on college campus grounds. So, if it's like that at the university's, then you can only imagine how it is throughout the rest of the city. But New Orleans has improved slightly over the years. I know it ranked a 4th most dangerous back in 96 or 97, and was one dubbed as murder capital of this country.

Originally posted by truthteller
That's sad and crooked news about Jackson, MS. It's a shame to be a city not even a population of 200,000 and rank so high on that list.

I live in New Orleans, and even I have had my car broken into on a university's property. The N.O. crackheads just needed some quick cash, so they took it upon themselves to break the driver's side window ....only to steal a cell phone adapter and CD Player adapter.

I feel you on that truth !! At least they broke your window to steal something of value...a crackhead broke into my car and stole a first aid kit, 3 road flares, and a denium jacket that I could'nt wear anymore and was gonna drop off to Goodwill. The sad thing about it is that I saw the dude running when he did it...
I own a Glock-21 (.45), and had the preverbial red dot on the back of his head as he retreated, so the cops would have a big mess to clean up...but, guess what...had I shot him then I would have gone to jail. You can only shoot someone if your life is threatned and not for protection of property. So this guy basically risked his life for less than 30 dollars.

When the cops came by to get the report they told me something disturbing, they said there is a new breed of criminal now that sleeps at somebody's house or a dope house during the day, and they stay up all night walking the streets looking for crimes of opportunity...He also said, that by me reporting this crime like I do other incidents in the neighborhood, I have cataloged enough incidents that If I bust a cap in somebody's arse then I am completely justified. I can only imagine the ISHT ya'll go through in NOLA. But New Orleans got a lil better when they got some of those corrupt cops out and got a new Police chief....

BTW, our suspect arse mayor has gone 9 months without selecting a police chief since the last one retired.....now that is Garbage. :mad: :mad: :mad:

uh,, where the hell is Montgomery????

,,,, 4-6 macho idiots just got put to sleep permanently stemming from an altercation at some baller's club here (vaguely,,, just heard bits and pieces in passing.).

gee,,, i wonder what lead to these "brilliant" black-on-black crimes??? ummmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,, let's see,,,, OH, I KNOW,,,,, it HAD to be drugs/money or "cat" Bart; DUH? :rolleyes: :(

Re: uh,, where the hell is Montgomery????

Originally posted by Bartram
,,,, 4-6 macho idiots just got put to sleep permanently stemming from an altercation at some baller's club here (vaguely,,, just heard bits and pieces in passing.).

gee,,, i wonder what lead to these "brilliant" black-on-black crimes??? ummmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,, let's see,,,, OH, I KNOW,,,,, it HAD to be drugs/money or "cat" Bart; DUH? :rolleyes: :(

Batram...the sad thing about all this is that it stems from these young bruthas having low self-worth. If you value life, family, your livelihood and religon then you are less likely to put yourself in a position to lose it all. Black on Black crime has replaced the Klan, or any other racist bastards as our main enemy. It's like some of the bruthas in our community are a "Self-Cleaning Oven" in regards to our downfall. That's why I tell bruthas out there be a father to your dayummm kids and make sure they don't take the wrong path.:(

Makaho, I can't argue with your post, and,,,

you pre-empted one of my next posts roughly entitled, "The Klan/skinheads/WAR can retire. Blacks now do their dirty work". This thread was going to delve into how now days the Klan of yester year don't have to put on the get-ups and ride around terrorising and killing people. All they got to do these days is sit back and watch as black idiots kill each other off and/or fall into the incarceration trap. All the Klansmen/skinheads/WAR have to do is play war games in the woods and run racist smack when given a photo op.

This has to be the greatest time in Klan/etc history as blacks self-destruct in some areas and fulfill the prophicies of the segregation proponents of yesteryear. On top of that, their lifestyles now consist of minimal risk of being arrested for killing Negroes, yet their objectives and goals are being fullfilled BY Blacks upon Blacks!

1. Detroit, MI
2. Atlanta, GA
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Gary, IN
6. Camden, NJ
7. Tampa, FL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Compton, CA
10. Memphis, TN
11. New Orleans, LA
12. Washington, DC
13. Kansas City, MO
14. Richmond, VA
15. Dayton, OH
16. Flint, MI
17. Miami, FL
18. Youngtown, OH
19. Dallas, TX
20. Newark, NJ
21. Trenton, NJ
22. Chattanooga, TN
23. Orlando, FL
24. Philadelphia, PA
25. Reading, PA
26. Birmingham, AL
27. Cleveland, OH
28. Oakland, CA
29. Savannah, GA
30. Minneapolis, MN
31. Hammond, IN
32. Nashville, TN
33. Bridgeport, CT
34. Tacoma, WA
35. Milwaukee, WI
36. Hartford, CT
37. Springfield, MA
38. Providence, RI
39. Winston-Salem, NC
40. Shreveport, LA
41. New Haven, CT
42. Columbus, OH
43. Miami Beach, FL
44. Canton, OH
45. Kalamazoo, MI
46. St. Petersburg, FL
47. Little Rock, AR
48. Buffalo, NY
49. Topeka, KS
50. Durham, NC
:idea:
How in dah "L" is Detroit and Atlanta going to beat out Compton and why the hell is New York City not #1 on the list?:confused:

P.S. I just got to ATL and I ain't going nowurh no time soon! So, I'm going to be living dangerously!:)

How Detroit and ATL beat Compton

I am from the Los Angeles area and I live in the Atlanta area now. Trust me, Detroit and Atlanta have WAY more crime than Compton ever will. People tend to forget that Compton is just one city out of a very large metropolitan area. The only reason Compton got so much publicity is thanks to N.W.A., Eazy-E, Compton's Most Wanted, and some of the other groups that were either from Compton or claimed Compton. Most folks in L.A. knew that Watts, Inglewood, and South Central L.A. were either as rough or rougher than Compton.

As far as Atlanta goes, most folks here are transplants. When the majority of people moved to the area, they actually move to a suburb(Decatur, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Marietta, etc.) than the actual city of Atlanta itself. A lot of people may work in the Atlanta city limits, but most folks(particularly homeowners)do not or would not live there. Therefore, it is mostly natives. Crime and drugs were in the ATL way before it became the "Black Mecca". Nine times out of ten someone that is new to the area would not move into one of the rougher parts of Atlanta.

Every city pretty much has its bad areas. Unfortunately, some cities have more than others. I am actually surprised to see some cities on the list beating out others. I guess you have to be in a city to really know what's going on there.

Montgomery, AL was ranked at #69 this year. Mobile, AL was ranked at #127.

Don't be surprised at Atlanta, GA. It's been pretty bad there for years now. For this year's results, Atlanta had 31.7 murders per 100,000 people (ranked #10), 65.8 rapes per 100,000 (ranked #59), 1023.5 robberies per 100,000 (ranked #1), 1622 aggravated assualts per 100,000 (ranked #1), 2192 burgarlaries per 100,000 (ranked #4), and 1740.8 vehicle thefts per 100,000 (ranked #8). Looks quite bad to me. What you all said about the Klan chillin and watching is very true. Why do something to us, when we do it to ourselves.

Compton, CA had more murders. It had 47.4 muders per 100,000 (ranked #2).

Gary, IN is now the murder capital of the country with 57.4 murders per 100,000 (ranked #1).

Actually, New York, NY isn't as bad as we've learned it to be (ranked #133 out of 327 overall). It may be the center of attraction for everyone, but is really home to many professional people. Things still happen there, but most of the corruption occurs in it's suburban areas. See, the bad people can't hang with the cost of living in New York City, so they head to neighboring cities situated to the West and South (e.g. Paterson, NJ, Jersey City, NJ, and Newark, NJ), eventually trickling a couple miles down to Trenton, NJ, Camden, NJ, Reading, PA, and Philadelphia, PA. Ya know, that is just one whole big area.

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman

:idea:
How in dah "L" is Detroit and Atlanta going to beat out Compton and why the hell is New York City not #1 on the list?:confused:
Cuz, you probably watch too much tv. Both NY and Compton has made vass improvements in crime fighting.

I am with the others in saying do not be surprised by Atlanta. Indeed there are areas that have had problems. I used to live there and knew where to go and where not to go. In 1989 Atlanta was ranked number in crime stats. Now, one can interpret the stats anyway that they want. But despite the complaints of the of the local leaders and media personalities, Atlanta has problems with crime and poverty that too many in the city has ignored.

Though a lot of the transplants (Black, White and other) have moved into Gwinnett, Dekalb, Cobb and Clayton Counties, I would bet that the rates of crime has increased a lot in those counties. Let me also state that those areas already had its crimes problems. I have been a juror in Gwinnett County and can attest to that fact. (BTW the case was dropped, so we did not have to render a verdict.) Contrary to popular belief, the criminal were not always Black. (I said that for other specific reasons that I will state later.) Still, there are things happening in parts of the outine counties that did not happen everyday.

I have to agree with others on the Klan and other hate groups. They have to be partying in seeing us kill ourselves. Though they are still carry out their mess across the country, they do not have to work as hard as their granddads, great-granddads, great-great-granddads, ex-confederate ancestors, etc. did.

You're right EB, crime has gone up in DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton. The part of Clayton I live in is pretty quiet, but over towards College Park and Riverdale are those so-called "Clayco" thugs. Gwinnett and Cobb both now have a problem with Hispanic gangs(no offense to Hispanics, but that is what has happened)and DeKalb is get more jacked-up by the day. Decatur and Scottdale are both in DeKalb County. Plus there are a bunch of spoiled kids that listened to too much Pastor Troy and want to be "hard" now. I taught in DeKalb County so I have seen it up close and personal.

Bilbrew, you made an excellent point about DeKalb County (Decatur). Alot of the crime is slowly spreading to Atlanta's suburban areas. I have a friend that teaches out there, and she's scared straight! I have a friend in Riverdale, but I didn't know that it was getting bad there. Hmmmm....that is interesting.

Now, Detroit, MI is just the straight ghetto. When I was up there a couple summers ago, the thugs took over the streets near the downtown area. We were jammed in traffic. Detroit is off da chain. I have family there, and it has always been a ghetto city to me.

Maybe I'm naive...

but I've never felt unsafe in ATL. I've spent a lot of time there and I've always had a great time with no fear. I plan on making ATL my home when I retire from the military.

ATL does have crime, but so does every other city. I actually have never felt "unsafe" in Atlanta, but the areas in which most of the crime occurs are places that neither myself nor my peeps roll through. Actually, I think you have a higher chance of getting your car broken into in ATL than you would ever have of catching a bullet. ATL is not a "murder capital" type city like Detroit or New Orleans(no offense to my SWAC peeps from Detroit and N.O.). I think auto theft and robberies helped to push ATL to #2.

Here's some interesting data to chew on.

Welp, lets look at some numbers here. This is overall crime rates that are, I believe, crimes per 100,000 population.

Violent crime.
Atlanta 2,729.5
Detroit 2,253.9
U.S. average 446.1

Property crime.
Atlanta 10,759.0
Detroit 8,162.4
U.S. average 4,162.2

The Categories Some of You Mention
Murder.
Atlanta 34.8
Detroit 42.6

Auto theft.
Atlanta 1,781.7
Detroit 2,745.6

Robbery.
Atlanta 990.1
Detroit 802.3

Assault.
Atlanta 1,626.6
Detroit 1,328.0

Burglary.
Atlanta 2,083.9
Detroit 1,874.6

Larceny.
Atlanta 6,893.4
Detroit 3,542.2

Rape.
Atlanta 78
Detroit 81

Where did you get this information from truthteller? Just curious.

I find it odd that of all the cities listed, Chicago is not listed ... or did I just overlook it on the list?

Personally, I don't place much weight on these rankings of "dangerous" cities and this list is suspect at best, since crime stats are not reported the same way.

Cities not on the list of Top 50
New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles
Houston

According to that list
Tacoma, Washington is "more dangerous" than New York City.
:(

Topeka, Kansas is "more dangerous" than Chicago.
:(

mm hmmm

See, some of us are gonna sit up here and debate the facts, because crime hasn't hit home yet. But when it does, you'll reflect back to this, and it will all make sense. There is nothing suspect about any of this. This is purely factual information all laid out for you.

Houston, TX did not get off easy. It was ranked at #61. Los Angeles, CA was at #65.

You've got to remember that each category is ranked crime per 100,000---not total number. This was the only way to make it fair.

Chicago, IL and other IL cities did not report it's crime data and hasn't done so in years due to the fact that it is the only state that has a category entitled "sexual assult," whereas the other are called rape. Its sexual assault category does not only include female rape, but also male rape, sodomy, and etc. The other states reported female rape only. For these reasons, Chicago, Naperville, Aurora, Springfield, Rockford, and Peoria were not included in the ranking.

For those of you familiar with what a Metro Area is, I'll provide you with the most dangerous list for those. A Metro Area includes the principle city, and it's surrounding cities and towns all in one.

1. Pine Bluff (AR) Metro
2. Memphis (TN/AR/MS) Metro
3. Miami (FL) Metro
4. New Orleans (LA) Metro
5. Baltimore (MD) Metro
6. Albuquerque (NM) Metro
7. Savannah (GA) Metro
8. Tallahassee (FL) Metro
9. Tucson (AZ) Metro
10. Flint (MI) Metro
11. Shreveport/Bossier City (LA) Metro
12. Detroit (MI) Metro
13. Gainesville (FL) Metro
14. Montgomery (AL) Metro
15. Jacksonville (FL) Metro
16. Nashville (TN) Metro
17. Los Angeles (CA) Metro
18. Jackson (TN) Metro
19. Lubbock (TX) Metro
20. Monroe (LA) Metro
21. Alexandria (LA) Metro
22. West Palm Beach (FL) Metro
23. Tuscaloosa (AL) Metro
24. Tampa/St. Petersburg (FL) Metro
25. Dallas (TX) Metro
26. Las Vegas (NV/AZ) Metro
27. Tacoma (WA) Metro
28. Waco (TX) Metro
29. Greenville (NC) Metro
30. Fresno (CA) Metro
31. Orlando (FL) Metro
32. Auburn/Opelika (AL) Metro
33. Phoenix/Mesa (AZ) Metro
34. Anniston (AL) Metro
35. Florence (SC) Metro
36. Lake Charles (LA) Metro
37. Houston (TX) Metro
38. Fayetteville (NC) Metro
39. Chattanooga (TN/GA) Metro
40. Stockton/Lodi (CA) Metro
41. Birmingham (AL) Metro
42. Lakeland/Winterhaven (FL) Metro
43. Wilmington (NC) Metro
44. Mobile (AL) Metro
45. New York (NY) Metro
46. Little Rock/North Little Rock (AR) Metro
47. Columbia (SC) Metro
48. Jersey City (NJ) Metro
49. Kalamazoo/Battle Creek (MI) Metro
50. Amarillo (TX) Metro

Of course Jackson (MS) Metro (ranked #5 the previous year) and Baton Rouge (LA) Metro (ranked #13 the previous year) would be in there somewhere if their info was submitted.

Something needs to be worked out up in the Pine Bluff Metro area. It is entirely too small to be ranked the worst most dangerouse metro area in the country for the 4th consecutive year.

This information comes from Morgan Quitno Press, based on info submitted by the FBI.

Don't be led astray by the #'s

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman

How in dah "L" is Detroit and Atlanta going to beat out Compton and why the hell is New York City not #1 on the list?

ob-runner:
Cuz, you probably watch too much tv. Both NY and Compton has made vass improvements in crime fighting.

Ahhh...NEGATIVE!
The numbers don't hold any weight with me. It dangerous to live period. I don't care where you are and what city. That's the mentality you hear come across the screen all the time. "I can't believe it happened here, in my town, near my home, in our neck of the woods." What, is there a city or person that's immune from crime?:confused:

Just asking.:idea: Think about it.:

These so called numbers or reports are based on the number of people who actually reported a crime. Which doesn't make them necessarily "true." Crimes are much higher in other areas, but the numbers aren't reported for a lot of reasons. One of the biggest reason is "FEAR." The statistics are solely based on what they have turned in, but everybody knows, not every mother is reported that abuses their child. Not every abused wife or husband reports it the police. Not every robbery is reported to the police. IN other words, not every crime is reported, so the numbers related to the actual cities can't be accurate.

What you said is true. I don't think anyone implied otherwise. But what you've gotta realize is that this is the best you're gonna get. You gotta have something to go by. You'll never get 100% accuracy in this type of data due to the reasons you mentioned. However, the information that you've been reading is not false information. You can only go by what is reported---not assumptions. And based on that proposition, these are the facts. Who knows, maybe there would be some slight changes in the ranks if EVERY crime was reported for every city. What are the odds of that happening? Probably "0"! But even if it did happen, who's to say that the only thing that would change is the number of crimes reported (meaning higher for everyone), and the ranks remain the same? We don't know this. I don't know where you live, but maybe you can't relate much to it because you may not live in one of these areas. But like I said earlier, you won't start to realize any of this until crime hits home. Take this information for what it's worth. Facts do not lie.

Dayum.......we won!!! :smh:

Not that this is an admirable accomplishment. Infact, it's quite shameful. Let me give ya'll a little insight about my city:

-Rarely can you walk on our streets anywhere without a crackhead, chickenhead, bum, etc. coming up to you and asking for something. Then they get bout it when you tell them no......That's why in Detroit we have our patented "Mean Mugs".....you know, the looks we have when we first go to school down South. You guys mistake it for "having a bad attitude".....but it's just an inbred thing for us. If you look soft....you get gaffled. Look angry and hard you might stand a chance........

-You have to watch what you say, because you never know where you are, or who you might be talking to. This is the real.......eye contact with other pedestrians is a no-no....A vast amount of our 187's occur from random misunderstandings....sometimes simply how you looked at someone, or accidentally bumping into another person.....

-Car jackings are the norm here.......This is the Motor City....MOTOWN.........we have the most cars here. We also have the best connecting freeway systems.......and the most junkyards which lead to what people.......chop shops!!! Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs, Rivieras....are hot. Easy to steal, easy to chop. To live here you need a good alrm system...and the best club that money can buy.

-Our women.......s-c-a-n-d-a-l-o-u-s!!!! Trust me, out of towner's have told me this.....Detroit girls make this what we fondly refer to as the "set-up" capital on the planet. They're quick to get on you with their tight bodies and pretty faces....just so they can get you robbed and/or possibly maimed at the end of the night. Also, again, alot of our arguments, disputes, and murders stem from......you guessed it "The girls". Tonya-Lay decides to trick off on Delicious with Junie......Delicious gets mad....brings his whole "mile long block" and it ends up being a massacre.....

Now these are just a few reasons why we probably won this poll........Being a former "street runner" (;) ) has given me the oppurtunity to see a few things in my younger days.

But hey, I'm from here........you know the saying.......
It's not bad to those who reside there........

Truthfully.....It's really not that bad ya'll. Not a good place for the "common tourists"......but there's some big kickin' goin on up here. Truth, I don't appreciate you talking about my city man ( ;) lol ) but alot of what he says does have substance. Come on peeps.........any dummy that's taken any sort of Economics class knows that with industry comes crime. And we're one of the largest industrial cities on the planet. When the factories lay off (and they do this quite often).....The crime rate goes up. Why??? Because their are no jobs........people are mad.

I see Flint made the list.....we call it Detroit Jr. because it's the same up there. But I have to say....you'll get robbed, shot, or killed quicker up there, because it's a whole lot smaller......

We're one of the biggest cities in the nation :idea:......basically if you have any street smarts about yourself, you'll know where and where not to be. Now that I'm grown (heh-heh ;) )......I try to keep myself out of all of the situations I may have fallen into before. Like hanging with people who do what I do.....people who are professionals..........people who go to or went to school.
The reason why it's bad here is because we have more people than the majority of the cities that were named....alot of whom are broke, starving and miserable.

Back