Recession already hitting Florida hard

Blacknbengal

Where a recession is already hitting hard

Here in Fort Myers, Fla., people don't ask whether we are headed for a recession. They know a recession is here. For those who live here, the questions narrow down to two:

How much worse will it get? How long will it last?

For residents, virtually everything hangs in the balance. And I mean everything.

A doctor friend once told me of an eerie feeling that came along with medical practice. Tending a dying patient, he would look out the hospital room window for a moment. Outside, life went on without a pause. The automobile traffic never stopped. People were still in a hurry.

I feel the same way as I drive down Route 41, the U.S. highway that connects Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs and Naples. The roads are still busy. The cars are still shiny. Massive new shopping centers greet the snowbirds, the early retirees setting up house and the usual vacationers escaping the cold of Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts and Maine.

At the sales and information office for the Colony Golf and Bay Club in Bonita Springs, I meet Robert Burdett. I ask the former photojournalist if he'll bring me up to date on what has happened since I visited in 2004. He tells me all the condos at La Scala, a very upscale tower I had visited and admired then, were bought.

Rest of Story

Back