Ray

Jag-Tig said:
Naw, I have to respectfully disagree. My point was based on simplicity and human nature. You contridicted yourself...it wasn't about the number of kids nor was it about 'applauding his sperm' or about money. It was about the fact that there had to be something more than just money. The money came later.

His first two wives (the movie is about his second wife) dealt with his crap way before the money was pouring in. Trust me, I know a whole lotta women who stayed with men because of their abilities in bed. Ya'll know that ain't nothing new. All I'm saying is that there are some women who feel like ain't no man giving it as good as their man...so they are willing to share...money or no money.

That's all I was saying. I wasn't glorifying it or making him out to be THE man. Just saying that he must have been very persausive to be a BLIND man, even before his career took off.

Ok, continue with the reviews.
um Jag-Tig, you actually took the time to explain this? :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
swacjsu, the movie with Danny Glover in it is "Saw". It's a physcho thriller, and they're actually developing a sequel to it as we speak. I haven't seen it, but I hope Danny doesn't get killed, so he could get some of that reciprical doe that floats around.

I saw the movie (Ray) this past weekend, and I thought it as great. It's one thing to know an artist has demons, but Ray had his share of them. Jamie did a helluva job as Ray, but I applaud Regina King's role as Margie as well, along with the young lady that played his wife, as well as Clifton Powell's portrayal as long time handler, and assistant Jeff.

As great as Jamie was, his supporting cast really stepped up, and did the dayum thing. Especially the wife, and Clifton Powell. The impression I got was that Jeff had a thing for Bea as well. Dude, knew the life of being on the road with a star, and yet he still took a serious liking to Bea.

One thing that was troubling to me, was that there were 3 times more whites in the theater than blacks. Not uncommon that whites were there, because whites have embraced jazz, and blues more than blacks, but as much pub, and acclaim this movie has garnered, I would've expected a bigger turnout from us than what I saw. Was this the case in you guys' area as well.

Maybe I expected more, because I saw it while being home in New Orleans this weekend, and with the majority of the movie being shot, and filmed in New Orleans, and the number of extra's that were used from NO, I thought they'd be out in droves if you know New Orleanians.

NICE

D-NICE said:
swacjsu, the movie with Danny Glover in it is "Saw". It's a physcho thriller, and they're actually developing a sequel to it as we speak. I haven't seen it, but I hope Danny doesn't get killed, so he could get some of that reciprical doe that floats around.

I saw the movie (Ray) this past weekend, and I thought it as great. It's one thing to know an artist has demons, but Ray had his share of them. Jamie did a helluva job as Ray, but I applaud Regina King's role as Margie as well, along with the young lady that played his wife, as well as Clifton Powell's portrayal as long time handler, and assistant Jeff.

As great as Jamie was, his supporting cast really stepped up, and did the dayum thing. Especially the wife, and Clifton Powell. The impression I got was that Jeff had a thing for Bea as well. Dude, knew the life of being on the road with a star, and yet he still took a serious liking to Bea.

One thing that was troubling to me, was that there were 3 times more whites in the theater than blacks. Not uncommon that whites were there, because whites have embraced jazz, and blues more than blacks, but as much pub, and acclaim this movie has garnered, I would've expected a bigger turnout from us than what I saw. Was this the case in you guys' area as well.

Maybe I expected more, because I saw it while being home in New Orleans this weekend, and with the majority of the movie being shot, and filmed in New Orleans, and the number of extra's that were used from NO, I thought they'd be out in droves if you know New Orleanians.

NICE

There were many whites in the theatre w/us, as well, but I wouldn't say they outnumbered us. Blacks have really been supporting the movie out here.

D-Nice,

When I went to see Ray, we had about a 60-40 white/black audience. I wasn't surprised and agree with your comment about how whites embrace jazz/blues way more than we do.

And I totally agree with your comments the supporting cast.

I haven't seen the weekend totals...is Grudge still number one?

Nah Tig, "The Grudge" is no longer number 1, but "Ray" is still #2, but it's not even a close #2. "The Incredibles" is the new #1 movie in the country, and with a string of cartoon/animated movies getting ready to hit the box office in the next 2 weeks, it will struggle just to stay in the top 5, if "The Incredibles" opening is an indication. TI opened at 70.7 million, with "Ray" at 13.8 million.

Tom Hanks, and Steven Spielberg's animated feature "Polar Express" opens this week, with "Sponge Bob Squarepants" opening next week. Sadly enough "Ray" has done as well as it's going to do, but the numbers are still strong for an R rated biopic.

Throw those 3 movies in line with, "Alexander", and the new Nicholas Cage heist movie opening reletively soon, along with the new "Bride Of Chucky" movie this week, the competition is going to be stiff.

Thanks 93, and Tig for your comments, because I thought I was in the minority on noticing how many more whites were in the theater than us. Well in your case 93, enough to make you notice.

I know there are white people on the board, so I don't want it to be percieved as me being racist, because I'm not, it's just a movie with this kind of significance I would've expected better from us.

Then again not really, because if the movie doesn't involve a lot of violence, or is a recycled love story (usually starring Morris Chestnut) under a different name, we usually don't turn out in record/solid numbers, and word of mouth is not as heavy.

NICE

Sorry I'm late. I've just seen it tonight and Suge,....it wasn't long enough for me. Being a wanna be musician I learned that we have things in common like turning tragedies into triumphs through music. I enjoyed how he came about songs like "I've Got A Woman" (That sax solo was played by a female. I didn't see that in the movie),"Hit The Road Jack', "The Night Time Is The Right Time", "Mess Around" and all that Country Western happening. I had no idea he surpassed Frank Sinatra from a business standpoint (owning his own master ). It was all educational to me. Yes,...I knew about the drugs and his demons but, people like me don't have to go that route. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that he was the creator of Soul Music and young black people haven't got a clue about how his music has influenced the music they think is new today. We lost a great artist in Uncle Ray. :cry: Lord knows I'm just crazy about the way he plays that piano and those horns was on point.

Good movie!!!!! :tup: :tup:

Great Movie. Not long at all for me. One of the best movies I've seen this year. Jamie should get an Academy award nomination.

Great Movie! We saw it Saturday.

I almost had to whoop this Ofays arse up in that theater for trying to get us kicked out 15 minutes before the movie was over. He better be glad Kema was there to save his arse and the old bitty that went and got the "Silence is Golden" Broad!

Mike said:

I almost had to whoop this Ofays arse up in that theater for trying to get us kicked out 15 minutes before the movie was over. He better be glad Kema was there to save his arse and the old bitty that went and got the "Silence is Golden" Broad!
:lol:

What happened Mike...was Makayla crying or something?

LOL

Say it again Nice. You would think that in a city like NO, colored folk would be all over this movie. Sadly, black youth today don't value the greats of the Jazz, Blues and R&B/Soul industry. Basically the entertainment industry overall.

I love the music in the movie and Foxx plays Ray like he is Ray Charles Robinson.

SU's Finest '93 said:
:lol:

What happened Mike...was Makayla crying or something?

LOL

Gull,

She was humming...and climbing all over me...we were dern near out of juice, snacks, cookies, cheese ravioli..etc... so she go bored.

I asked to leave her with a neighbor but we opted to take her...

She began humming...NOT excessively loud...but humming.

So out of the blue...Mr. Stupidazz turned around and asked in a snappy tone is everything alright? It stunned us first because we werent' sure he was speaking to us..as there was another kid behind us who coughed the entire time. We didn't complain because she was just a kid and we sat at the top specifically to be away from other people.

Well, the guy asked again and Mike CALMLY, said "Its just a baby, she'll be alright..."

Then Mr. Stupidazz said, "What do you people think you're the only ones who paid for this movie?"
NERVE STRUCK! :splat: :splat: :splat: Mike said, "Its just a baby, now turn yo arse around and STFU!"
I'm on the side of Mike saying..."be quiet...shhhhh...let it go..."

The guy said something else and he was LOUD...so Mike repeated himself. Then this old broad popped up and when to get Movie Security.They came back and stood in the corner watching us. Makayla whimpered a little. The Movie Security said, "Ma'am, I have to ask you to leave the movie to quiet her down"

I looked her squarely in the eyes and firmly told her, "I am not leaving."

She said, "DO you understand it is my job to Keep Silence Golden?"

I said, "Yes, I do."

She said, "Then you understand that I am asking you to leave."

I said, "Yes, I do."

She looked at me. I told her, "IF I LEAVE THIS MOVIE BEFORE THE CREDITS ROLL, YOU WILL NEED THE POLICE TO TAKE ME OUT. I AINT GOIN' NO WHERE!" :splat: :splat: :splat:

She turned and walked away. I leaned back and watched the rest of Ray.

Then Mr. Stupidazz pops up saying "Excuse me Ma'am"..."Excuse me!" to the Silence is Golden Chic. They marched downstairs....and next thing I knew he sat at the bottom of the movie in the handicapped seats! I laughed all the way to my car! If they had made me move that day...Everybody in that movie theather would have been angry...Trust...I would have been ROUDY ROUDY!

When we left, everyone who sat closer to us than Mr. Stupidazz said things like "we were seating right next to you and we didn't even hear her"..."that baby wasn't making that much noise...all that was not called for..."

Mr. Stupidazz's family stayed in their seats the until it was empty.

Oh, and yeah we enjoyed the movie. Jamie was FABULOUS. The other actors shined very brightly too!

That's why I've vowed not to take CJ to a movie unless it's a kiddie movie until he's 3+. The one time I took him, he wanted to walk all over everything & started to cry when I tried to restrain him. I took him out because I respected the people in the theater. I was mad at myself because my sister & her husband had already told me that he would act up. I guess I had to learn the hard way.............but I learned.

You guys should have taken the baby out. A noisy baby in the theatre is so annoying. We never take our boys to the movies unless it is age appropriate and we know it will keep their attention.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mike said:

Mike, Kema had me cracking up when she said you told that man to STFU. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh yeah, I saw the movie last night. I thought it was funny that Ray used a female's wrist to determine if he wanted to pursue her.

kellis said:
Mike, Kema had me cracking up when she said you told that man to STFU. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That is funny! :lol:

But uhhhhrrahhhhh, that's why I don't like going to movies when it's crowded. I like going during a matinee and when there are 1-2 rows of space between me and other people. Yeah, I'm picky like that.

As much as it cost to be at the movies these days, I don't want to hear folks talking loudly behind me and/or babies crying or getting agitated. My ears get sensitive to that, and it's annoying.

I might wait another week or two before I go see "Ray."

cat daddy said:
You guys should have taken the baby out. A noisy baby in the theatre is so annoying. We never take our boys to the movies unless it is age appropriate and we know it will keep their attention.

Cat,

The movie was about 15 minutes from being over and the man decided to say something to me. after she had calmed down a little. Had he not got my temper almost on "Whoop Arse", she would have remained calm. It wasn't until I had to go off on his punk arse that she started back wimpering.

I would've thought I was in the wrong had it not been for all the people (White and Black) that told us that they didn't even notice the baby making any noise. They were sitting right next to us at that. So, I decline to apologize to someone that sat so far away from us. He made more noise trying to talk to us from his seat than the baby did all night.

See, the first time I told him that it was a baby and she would be ok with a low and respectable tone of voice. But, when he turned around within 1 minute again and got louder, I snapped. If Kema hadn't been there, dude would've had a problem talking with my foot stuck in his throat. She saved his arse from getting a str8 skull draggin'.

Mike said:
Cat,

The movie was about 15 minutes from being over and the man decided to say something to me. after she had calmed down a little. Had he not got my temper almost on "Whoop Arse", she would have remained calm.

See, the first time I told him that it was a baby and she would be ok with a low and respectable tone of voice. But, when he turned around within 1 minute again and got louder, I snapped. If Kema hadn't been there, dude would've had a problem talking with my foot stuck in his throat. She saved his arse from getting a str8 skull draggin'.

:lmao:

BTW,

This was at the 4 o'clock matinee. It was packed and we were trying to go at that time because we thought it wouldn't be as many people there.

Like I had said before, I never intended to take her to the movie theater. I knew what could happen. But ...we later decided to bring her.

I respected the people around me. In all sincerity, she was NOT that loud. There was a baby on the bottom row that was screaming crying...she was only humming...and we did quiet her down.

I think I got beligerent after the dude yelled at us ...it was all over then. I did not GAF who was mad. Like I had told that woman in my whispering voice..."If I left that movie before the credits roll, the police would have to do it..."

They left me the hell alone too.

In the future, I will not take her with me no matter what.

Back