Rashard Anderson denied

JSU/99

Anderson faces another idle season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Exiled cornerback Rashard Anderson, suspended for one year by the league last May following a repeat violation of the substance-abuse policy, has been denied reinstatement and now faces the possibility of a second consecutive idle season.

The former Carolina Panthers' first-round draft pick and his representatives were apprised by NFL officials earlier this week that Anderson again violated the substance-abuse rules in recent months, even while he continued treatment, and that his suspension ostensibly has been extended.

Sources said that Anderson is not eligible now to petition the league for reinstatement until late this season. There are no guarantees, especially in light of recent events, that the NFL would even consider permitting Anderson to play in 2003.

The latest sanctions certainly jeopardize Anderson's tenure with the Panthers, who might release him before training camp begins on July 25, and his professional football future in general. A first-round pick in the 2000 draft, Anderson has not played in a game since the finale of the 2001 season.

Even given his rare size, and still untapped potential, some teams might have a problem taking on a player following a two-year hiatus and carrying some off-field baggage. This will be the second year in a row that Anderson hasn't even had a training camp.

League and team officials, bound by confidentiality guidelines, have offered nothing about Anderson's status. Even off the record, the silence has been deafening. But it does seem more than coincidental that on Monday, when league officials informed Anderson his request for reinstatement had been rejected, the Panthers signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Emmanuel McDaniel, who was with the team in 2002.

"I still think he could be back this year, but not in the timeframe we had hoped for," said Anderson's agent, Ben Wilson, who seemed confident only two months ago his client's return was imminent. "It's going to be a while now, it seems, and that is frustrating. But he is going to have to get things in order and it appears Rashard has more time to do so."

Wilson conceded to ESPN.com last month that Anderson, the 23rd prospect chosen overall in the 2000 draft, had been "not absolutely perfect, but not bad, either," during the treatment process. "But he is significantly better than he was at this point a year ago," Wilson said at the time.

It is not known when the recidivism occurred with Anderson, but it is believed that he tested positive for alcohol in March and had another positive test in May for an unknown substance. His original suspension was the result of three positive tests for marijuana in a six-month period.

If there is any positive to the situation, Wilson reiterated, it is that the year away from the game has allowed Anderson plenty of time to rehabilitate from surgery to repair a neck problem that some feared might end his career altogether. Wilson said that Anderson is now rehabilitated from the neck surgery and, physically at least, able to return to the playing field.

The former Jackson State star played in 27 games, with nine starts, in 2000-2001. He had 59 tackles, one interception and nine passes defensed.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Dayum...don't know what prompted them to extend the suspension and I don't want to speculate (I'm sure we all have our suspicions). I do pray for him and others who have their demons to overcome. I will say this for him, myself and all of us that Jesus Christ will work wonders in our lives if we just believe and seek solutions through him.

Not gonna turn this into the prayer board, but I hope that so many of us who battle our own demons would realize that Jesus can be as big in our lives as our belief in him allows him to be!

Thats bogus!!!!!!!

I was wondering about his current status with the NFL. Either he is getting a raw deal or he was not holding up his end of the deal during his suspension. Either way it is unfortunate. Hopefully his ban will be lifted before training camp. If not, he might as well wait until season. He will be behind as far as preparation with his teamates and not being in football condition will leave him more at risk to injury.

Well, ya'll pray while I smack him.

If Anderson violated league policies again then he's a bigger dumbarse than I first assumed. What a waste. Despite his high draft status in '00 (which I questioned even then), somehow I always had a feeling he'd screw things up at some point. Sometimes ya just know. :(

Don't mind me. I'm still pissed at him for his last performance in a tiger uniform.......
Micheal Hayes scores again. :redhot:

Didn't the second paragraph say he violated the league substance abuse policy in recent months. I feel sorry for the dude. Especially when he had a multi-million dollar contract and tremendous potential which is being thrown away. Rashard needs to turn to the Lord.

My greatest concern for Anderson, and other athletes like him, who are given the opportunity that thousands of young boys dream of, is, what will he do now? I hope he has something to fall back on.

One of the worst tragedies is when someone who has been given the chance of a lifetime, blows it all away, and can't do anything else.

The first thing he needs to do is get some professional help....QUICK!

I was a freshman at JSU when he got drafted and he just couldn't leave the yard. I saw him around all the time, even up until my senior year this past year. This news comes as no surprise to me because it seems as though he couldn't leave college behind.

I Concur

I concur with tiger06...Rashard was always on the yard. I work on campus and I saw him as much as I see all of my other students. He would be hanging in front of the cafeteria, blasting music from his many cars he showcased. I don't see how he was in rehab. And during the season, he was on the sidelines with the team...you can't be rehabing if you hanging with your FORMER college team. Hope he gets help.

:confused: Just a Female's Perspective

I believe that article said he tested positive for alcohol on one occasion, and some other substance on another. I don't feel sorry for him, if that is the case. Sure he needs help, and I hope he gets what he needs. But we also need to realize that this is a grown man making his own choices. His return to the NFL was contingent upon stipulations that he willfully chose not to honor, and that is a shame.

Here's hoping he gets a clue before it is to late, but that young brother's clock is ticking, and his time is about to run out.

Originally posted by Vinita
I believe that article said he tested positive for alcohol on one occasion, and some other substance on another. I don't feel sorry for him, if that is the case. Sure he needs help, and I hope he gets what he needs. But we also need to realize that this is a grown man making his own choices. His return to the NFL was contingent upon stipulations that he willfully chose not to honor, and that is a shame.

Here's hoping he gets a clue before it is to late, but that young brother's clock is ticking, and his time is about to run out.

I have to agree with Vinita. Apparently, he wanted to kinda stick to the rehab and that's the same as kinda being pregnant. You either are or you're not. He's got problems that he needs to deal with and the league isn't going to wait on him to decide that he needs to grow up. What a freaking waste when you consider the kids out there that have the dedication and would love to have had his opportunity.

I just realized that Anderson lives in my complex. I hope he gets his act together.(He changes the rims on his vehicles like they're underwear.) I work w/his uncle & they were talking yesterday about how Black athletes have to be extra clean because they are always under scrutiny. It seems to me Rashard got HIMSELF into this pickle. I don't think he was singled out or set-up.

This weekend they did a spot on a Flag Football game he had for his foundation. This sweet child looked into the camera and said, "If anybody out there needs a good cornerback, I'm available." He was pulling at straws. :(

It was just reported on on espn radio that he will be suspended for the entire season because he tested positive in May. The reporter began the story with, "Another athelete that just doesn't get it." We need all the SWAC player we can in the pros. Thats why I am so disturbed by this situation. Now and days players that were raised in SWAC country want to play in the SEC and we've become option three and four. It was about to be on when they tried to accuse Jimmy Smith of substance abuse.

My personall opinion on the matter.

These guys have been blessed with the talent and most of all oppotunity.

When Rashad, Bam Morris, Nate Newton, just to name a few, muck up their chance to be set for life, have their families set for life; When they **** that up because they can't stop smoking or they want to run dope, for what ever reason only GOD knows, guess what:

**** em' that's what they want, then let them have it the way they want it. Who cares if they go to jail for forty years and never make another penny. Oh well.

I am a drug court probation officer and see this kind of crap day in and day out.

Any average person would welcome the day to be in any of these guys shoes. So, personally I hope all of them never make another penny.

Originally posted by kkpsi10

When Rashad, Bam Morris, Nate Newton, just to name a few, muck up their chance to be set for life, have their families set for life; When they **** that up because they can't stop smoking or they want to run dope, for what ever reason only GOD knows, guess what:

**** em' that's what they want, then let them have it the way they want it. Who cares if they go to jail for forty years and never make another penny. Oh well.

I am a drug court probation officer and see this kind of crap day in and day out.

Any average person would welcome the day to be in any of these guys shoes. So, personally I hope all of them never make another penny.

You brought it on home, bruh!

:tup:

Originally posted by kkpsi10

there it iz!!!! but I do pray that the Lord will help him with his problem and he can become a productive citizen...

I have seen the negative impact of getting kicked outta the NFL.....we have our own example in Hunstville! Johnson High-Auburn football player Donnie Humphrey who played for the Green Bay Packers.....never could leave that blow alone:(....now he workin at Labor Ready tryin to find a gig everyday...

Maybe after Rashard Anderson works on a regular job for awhile, he'll realize just how blessed he was.
Is there a chance for him to be reinstated after staying out of the NFL for at least one year?

I understand where yall are coming from on this one, but I personally choose to pray for the young man so that he might overcome his demons and get his life in order. It can happen...I've seen it done on many occasions. He won't be able to do it alone, he will need to turn to Christ (not just for drug addiction but in order to be made Righteous through Christ Jesus).

I know this is probably shocking a lot of yall, but Ol' Mike Bigg ain't always the isht talker from TSPN. I understand the importance of having faith in a savior who not only brought me salvation but who also intercedes on my behalf when I am less than the man God would have me to be. Yes, I have compassion for the young man because I know that the path he has taken is not one that God chose for him. However, God gives us Freewill...I just pray for this brother (dayum the football player) to get his life in order so that he can be a better servant of God!

BTW:===> I'm still over there talking smack!

But I understand where yall are coming from. So much potential to do good for himself, his family, and his community and he selfishly throws it away. Makes you want to tie his azz to those new rims and whip his azz with some battery cables. BUT, we ask forgiveness for our thoughts and then pray for him!:D

Back