Legend
I got this in the mail

On Tuesday, May 14, 2008, I was told by Liz Harrison, Marketing Director
of Blue Bayou Water Park and Dixie Landing Amusement Park, that they
have no plans to continue their long-term practice
with KBZE 105.9FM, of trading 100 or more admission tickets to the
parks, in exchange for double that value in radio advertising. Liz
Harrison said that their summer concert series has country and pop
artists, so their radio concern will be for these formats.

"We have no interest in an African-American audience," she said.

I replied to her, "Do you realize that is blatant racial
discrimination?"

She replied, "You call it what you will, I call it free enterprise."

I am asking that all African Americans who listen to either of my radio
stations, call and voice their
opinion to Ms . Harrison. The number at Blue Bayou is (225)753-3333. Her
e-mail address is lizh@bluebayou.com.

As a side note, we have confirmed that Blue Bayou also does not do
business with any Black radio in Baton Rouge, or the African
American-owned Louisiana Weekly, the state's oldest weekly newspaper,
and one of this country's oldest African American-owned news
publications.

Should any of you have further questions on this, please do not hesitate
to call me at (985)312-2154, or e-mail me at howard@kbze.com. It's time
we bring issues like this to the forefront. We all love our children,
but we all work hard for our money as well.

Howard J. Castay, Jr.
President & General Manger
KBZE 105.9FM and KFRA 1390AM

Others replied and said they got the SAME email

yes, it's going all around the net. I received this one over the w/e...can't say I'm surprised, though. :smh:

They had a similar incident while filming a commercial where they made all the AA's get out of the pools and wait in line for the rides so the white folks can be filmed in the commercial. There was a lawsuit that followed that.

Like I said before, Baton Rouge has a serious dichotomy problem and folks that live in extreme south and east parts don't really care for African Americans. Majority of all the new developments are in those areas. Cabello Sporting Good open a store in Ascension Parish and Bass Pro open a store in Livingston Parish, which are the two parishes just south and east of Baton Rouge. The only big development I see in the north part of East Baton Rouge Parish is the Airport and the business park across from it on Harding Blvd. I think a lot of American cities are becoming more and more polarized.

Man I know you guys love your home state but the blatent racism in some areas down there is sick. I mean how can someone in a major city say something like this and go on. I've heard the BR was kind of Racist in parts but maybe the locals can shed some light on this for me. How is it really?

She should be fired now.

Man I know you guys love your home state but the blatent racism in some areas down there is sick. I mean how can someone in a major city say something like this and go on. I've heard the BR was kind of Racist in parts but maybe the locals can shed some light on this for me. How is it really?

She should be fired now.

Why should she be fired? It's privately/family business to my knowledge. They present activities/ads that cater to what they want at THEIR BUSINESS.

Wrong, but I just choose not to go. They don't want me there so I don't go.

How about just not going to Blue Bayou anymore. I wouldn't spend a single penny at a place like that!!!

Why should she be fired? It's privately/family business to my knowledge. They present activities/ads that cater to what they want at THEIR BUSINESS.

Wrong, but I just choose not to go. They don't want me there so I don't go.

Yeah but what happens is we all like to cool off when it gets hot and they show commercials all over BR so people want to go. If you want to cater to a certain cliental make it private like a country club. they want your money they just want you to shut up and stay out of the way... I just hope I don't see another LA native make comments about Mississippi when we constantly here these types of stories coming out of your state.

They had a similar incident while filming a commercial where they made all the AA's get out of the pools and wait in line for the rides so the white folks can be filmed in the commercial. There was a lawsuit that followed that.

The court ruled in the brother's favor and he collect a nice six figure judgment. :nod: :D :jump: The commerical was being filmed for the grand opening. They had just opened when it happened. They actually made the man and his son get off the rollercoaster and ushered the white folk right on. :angry: He confronted the manager and told him what happened and the manager told him well it will just be until we take the photos and film the commercial, we just want THESE PEOPLE on the rides for the filming. :upset: That man reported this to one of the local stations and went straightway to a lawyer and filed suit against them. :bowdown: They really didn't want us there after that! :emlaugh:

I have never been and neither has my son. I do not let him go for birthday parties or at the invitation of friends. Most of my friends stop/or never went to Blue Bayou. I made my decision the day the Black guy complained about the incident to the media.

Also, I didn't like that the word DIXIE was in the name...Dixie Landing. It was BS to me the moment I saw the sign when they were building it. I never wanted to go because of the name.

:tdown:

Yeah but what happens is we all like to cool off when it gets hot and they show commercials all over BR so people want to go. If you want to cater to a certain cliental make it private like a country club. they want your money they just want you to shut up and stay out of the way... I just hope I don't see another LA native make comments about Mississippi when we constantly here these types of stories coming out of your state.

You know it is not that much different in Jackson, Mississippi. Madison County and places north of Madison County are getting all the new development and there are some folks there that think that African Americans shouldn't be a part of the new development. Madison County has the highest per capita income in the State of Mississippi. It's more obvious in Baton Rouge because Baton Rouge is currently developing faster than Jackson.

When i worked in Baton Rouge radio sales we knew Blue Bayou didn't buy black stations but who cares you can't force some one to buy from your business. Personally I don't go and wouldn't go to there. From the way the email is worded they had the account and then lost it.

Back