Questions about the J-State football program (no smack intended)!

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
Dear Jackson State fans and members of TSPN:

As a fan of Black College Football, it saddens me to see the once-mighty Tigers fall upon the worst losing streak in the storied history of Natchez Seminary (Jackson State) football.

I have a few questions to ask in light of the current state of the JSU football program.

1. The losing started after the 21-17 victory over Mississippi Valley State at Rice-Totten Sept. 27, 2003. Now that the Valley game has rolled back around almost a calendar year later, do y'all honestly believe there are signs of improvement going on in Bell's regime? If so, what are those signs? If not, what needs to be done to change things?

2. Is morale high amongst the fans when it comes to Bell and the team? Is morale high amongst the players themselves? Has the team ever quit in a game during the streak? Is there a lack of talent on the team now, or were the teams J-state fielded until now just preceived to be highly talented?

3. Is there a timetable in place in regard to replacing Bell or is his job secure? What is his buyout and is it feasible to cut ties with him at this point? How much longer will the J-State fans and alumni take the team being in the doldrums?

4.Is the current state of J-State football REALLY Robert Hughes' fault? Unlike when Jackie Sherrill finally left Miss. St., Bell statistically had a good nucleus of talent to work with when he inherited the job from Hughes. What did Hughes did that was so bad (he did have winning seasons at J-State, right?) that called for him to get fired? Do some of y'all wish Hughes was still the coach?

Now, you can bash me all you want and make your anti-Southern smack references. However, many of us really do want to know what in the hell happened.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Journalist said:
Dear Jackson State fans and members of TSPN:

As a fan of Black College Football, it saddens me to see the once-mighty Tigers fall upon the worst losing streak in the storied history of Natchez Seminary (Jackson State) football.

I have a few questions to ask in light of the current state of the JSU football program.

THIS REALLY AIN'T YOUR BUSINESS BUT.....

1. The losing started after the 21-17 victory over Mississippi Valley State at Rice-Totten Sept. 27, 2003. Now that the Valley game has rolled back around almost a calendar year later, do y'all honestly believe there are signs of improvement going on in Bell's regime? If so, what are those signs? If not, what needs to be done to change things?

WE NOW HAVE IMPROVED TALENT ACROSS THE BOARD AND A GREATER FOCUS ON FUNDAMENTALS IN ALL PHASES OF THE GAME. I THINK THAT THERE IS SOME IMPROVEMENT BUT FACE IT, UNLESS WE IMPROVE TO WIN GAMES, IMPROVEMENT DOES NOT MATTER.

2. Is morale high amongst the fans when it comes to Bell and the team? Is morale high amongst the players themselves? Has the team ever quit in a game during the streak? Is there a lack of talent on the team now, or were the teams J-state fielded until now just preceived to be highly talented?

MORALE IS MIXED. MOST OF THE PEOPLE CLOSE TO THE PROGRAM SUPPORT BELL BECAUSE THEY KNOW HOW FAR THE PROGRAM HAD FALLEN. THOSE WHO WERE FOOLED BY GETTING A 7-4 RECORD BY BEATING 6-7 TEAMS WITH LOSING RECORDS, DON'T SUPPORT BELL. I BELIEVE THAT IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE ATHLETES SUPPORT BELL. YOU WOULD HAVE TO KNOW BELL TO KNOW THAT HE KNOWS ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW TO RUN A TEAM....IT JUST DOES NOT SHOW ON SATURDAYS.

3. Is there a timetable in place in regard to replacing Bell or is his job secure? What is his buyout and is it feasible to cut ties with him at this point? How much longer will the J-State fans and alumni take the team being in the doldrums?

THE UNDERSTANDING THAT WE HAVE IS THAT BELL WAS GIVEN A TWO YEAR CONTRACT WITH A THIRD YEAR OPTION. HE HAS TO EARN THE THIRD YEAR. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE ADMINISTRATION WANTS HIM TO DO TO TO EARN IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEAK WITH CULBERSON AND MASON.

4.Is the current state of J-State football REALLY Robert Hughes' fault? Unlike when Jackie Sherrill finally left Miss. St., Bell statistically had a good nucleus of talent to work with when he inherited the job from Hughes. What did Hughes did that was so bad (he did have winning seasons at J-State, right?) that called for him to get fired? Do some of y'all wish Hughes was still the coach?

I WON'T SAY THAT EVERYTHING IS HUGHES FAULT (AND TAKE THIS HOW YOU WANT BECAUSE I AM VERY ANTI-HUGHES) BUT IT IS HARD TO ARGUE THAT HUGHES LEFT THE TEAM THE WAY HE FOUND IT. HE TOTALLY NEGLECTED THE PROGRAM AND HE DID A POOR JOB OF RECRUITING. OUR RECRUITING CLASSES DROPPED OFF TREMENDOUSLY AFTER 1998 (Kent's class). BELL WAS LEFT WITH A DECENT GROUP....MAINLY A FIRST STRING BUT NO DEPTH. ONCE YOU GOT PAST THE FIRST STRING, ALL YOU HAD LEFT WERE HUGHES RECRUITS AND A TEAM WEAK IN FUNDAMENTALS. NO ONE EVER HELPED TO SHOW KENT HOW TO READ A DEFENSE ONCE JOHN SHANNON LEFT. TO TOP IT OFF, WE LOST A TON OF STARTERS THROUGHOUT THE SEASON FROM GOUDY, COX, KENT, MARKS, WOODARD, SCOTT, ETC......WE HAD NO RUNNING BACKS BECASUE HUGHES RECRUITED NONE. ...OR AT LEAST NO GOOD ONES. WE REALIZED THAT HUGHES WOULD NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP AT JSU AND EVEN THE PEOPLE ON THESE BOARDS WERE TALKING ABOUT HOW OUR PROGRAM WAS DECAYING UNDER HIS WATCH. YES, HE WON 7 GAMES BUT HE MAINLY BEAT LOSING TEAMS LIKE 2-8 TNSTATE TEAMS. LAST YEAR WE PLAYED ABOUT 7-8 TEAMS WITH RECORDS AT .500 AND ABOVE. THAT TYPE OF SCHEDULE WOULD HAVE KILLED HUGHES. THIS YEAR, WE HAVE PLAYED 3 TEAMS WITH WINNING RECORDS. HUGHES NEVER BEAT A TSU WITH A WINNING RECORD. NEVER EVEN CAME CLOSE. THEY BLEW US OUT EVERY TIME. SO I FOR ONE AM GLAD THAT HUGHES IS GONE. MAYBE BELL IS NOT THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB BUT THE FIRST STEP IN OUR PROCESS TO GET BACK ON TOP WAS TO GET RID OF HUGHES.

Now, you can bash me all you want and make your anti-Southern smack references. However, many of us really do want to know what in the hell happened.

Tigerpride said:
THIS REALLY AIN'T YOUR BUSINESS BUT.....

Tigerpride, thanks for giving the response. BTW, Why it's really not my business? As a fan of BCF, I 'm entitled to know WTF is going on at my fellow institutions - winning or losing.

As Jafus would say
....intriguing!!!

But with all this said...money will determine everything. Next year the home schedule favors us, but if we have a losing season in '04 and morale is down you won't have to worry about the Bell or Hughes state of affairs.

Dang TP, you just put it out there, didn't you?

But I be doggone if you didn't do a hellluva job!!! :tup:

Tigerpride said:
YOU WOULD HAVE TO KNOW BELL TO KNOW THAT HE KNOWS ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW TO RUN A TEAM....IT JUST DOES NOT SHOW ON SATURDAYS.
so since it "does not show on Saturday", when does it show?

mighty hornet said:
so since it "does not show on Saturday", when does it show?
Actually it has shown on Saturdays. We just need to get over the hump. We outplayed a pretty good team last Saturday, only to lose it in the end. When you're facing good teams , the coaches main job is to put his players in a position to win the game. That's what Bell and the coaching staff has done the past 2 weeks. Now that the schedule is getting easier, we have to actually start winning these games. If we don't, then Bell won't last.

mh,

I think what TP means is that it hasn't translated into wins, yet. So, Saturdays is the only time it can show.

Believe it or not, I do see the improvements in the JSU team execution and game plans. The coaching decisions are questionable at times, but sometimes it is hard to distinguish between a bad coaching decision or poor execution.... If executed correctly and the objective is met, the play calling is superb. If flubbed...the coach is an idiot. *Now suffice it to say, if my 13 y-o daughter :alicia: can guess what the hell you're about to run and knows you're not executing, then....*

All I know is that I saw a better (than this time last year) JSU team compete against an average TSU team in the SHC on BET. Just because we are all used to a great passing game from most SWAC teams, doesn't mean we can't get used to the running games. Penn St., Oklahoma and Nebraska teams of old ruled with the run. Change is aight as long as we are competing and WINNING!!! Woe be unto those who can't win.... NOBODY likes losing...bottom line! SU included....

Jaguar Diehard said:
Believe it or not, I do see the improvements in the JSU team execution and game plans. The coaching decisions are questionable at times, but sometimes it is hard to distinguish between a bad coaching decision or poor execution.... If executed correctly and the objective is met, the play calling is superb. If flubbed...the coach is an idiot.

Yep.

*Now suffice it to say, if my 13 y-o daughter :alicia: can guess what the hell you're about to run and knows you're not executing, then....*

Touche.

it's all about WINS.. if you don't win, you go. it looks as though Bell needs to go. Jackson State losing 10 in a row. Big Daddy is probably spinning in his grave.

Back