PWC vs HBCU football...

Jaguar Diehard

This is more of an "I forgot..." than anything. Well, here it goes...

I visit my parents about three years ago the weekend SU has a game scheduled to play Northwestern St. and of course I'm holding tickets. Asked my ol' man if he wanted to go. He was tickled pink because he hadn't been to a college football game in years! We travelled the 1.5 hours to BR and had some pleasant conversation about family. Mind you, he's a minister!

Nonetheless, because he has never been to an SU game in Mumford in years, I go across "the Hump" so he can get a clue as to the magnitude of tail-gaters. He's speechless, of course.

The POINT: After sitting through the 1st quarter, he states something like "... you can't run street ball on them white boys!" :rolleyes:

Now I was kinda half-shocked and totally pissed that he ALSO had this mentallity! This is my ol man and he has an absolute knowledge of the game, but he had an attitude that you send a brother on a fly and throw him the ball at the HBCU's. Now of course I had to set him straight. We talked the strategy and watched some more. Eventually, I pulled him from "the dark side" over into the light of "this ain't your daddy's football". He was even more surprised that SU won. :D

What I am actually asking is this...

How many of you are still fighting the "Dey is betta than us" type of mentality? I run across it every time we play PWC's. I run across it when I am questioning prospective recruits and their friends. I run across it when talking to their parents. What is the deal? I don't run into that much ignorance working here in the 'Sip with Bubba and the boys. They know of Southern University and Jackson State and Alcorn State and FAMU and Grambling. They know of their records, who they've beaten, who plays for them. It's mind-boggling when I go into the break room and someone is reading about Mississippi State and then flips over to read about Alcorn State "because an ol' boy who played with my son is doing pretty good"!!!

Ed-u-ma-cate me!!!

What is it about our people??? :redhot:

I have to "kinda" agree with your father. I have seen to many HBCU's loose to PWC's because of poor coaching and game prep. I am not saying that they are better than we are. But, in "most" cases they are better prepared mentally.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
sad, but some truth!

If you want to be the best in a trade or sport, you got to learn it from the person who invented it!

Back