PV's half time show took 13 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by SKIP
no i understand that you want to be in the heat of the battle, shat, so did i, that's why i have war stories to tell.and that's the reason any oldhead that you talk too has war stories, but our war stories happened over the years not all in one year. so be true to the storm and yourself and show the loyalty that we imply and wait, you'll get your chance and it will be so sweet that you will feel like you just had sex i promise you that. if any body on here can relate to what i just said give this youngster a holla and a vote of confidence because he is going to be a future leader. P.S. IF YOU EVER DOWN TALK PROF. IN AN OPEN FORUM AGAIN WE WILL HAVE TO TALK. WE KEEP THAT TYPE OF CONVERSATION CLOSE AND INHOUSE. NEVER HANG YOUR DIRTY UNDERWEAR ON THE NEIGHBORS FENCE.

I see what your saying but my thing is that whenever we meet SU in LA. again is PROF going to make it a habit and leave early.That makes us look real soft....and as far as down talking PROF. i was just voicing my opinion on the situation i wasn't down talking him.take it how you want to.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

Dead End arguement. Both sections have their own thing going. The only thing that I remember being common is Midnight. Other than that....I don't really see any other similarities.

Just to clarify,
The ONLY similarity between this year's dance routine and 99's is the first 16 counts.

Originally posted by TX_FINEST
I see what your saying but my thing is that whenever we meet SU in LA. again is PROF going to make it a habit and leave early.That makes us look real soft....and as far as down talking PROF. i was just voicing my opinion on the situation i wasn't down talking him.take it how you want to.....
i love you dog.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

Originally posted by SUtrp96
I know that dude...but we were all in yall isht in 96...lol

That "Call em UP" was a beast huh?...yeah I know...;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: <----That is what I did at the game at Robinson Stadium in 1996 against S.U. :redhot: :redhot:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

Originally posted by DaBOX 96' Snare
:eek: :eek: :eek: <----That is what I did at the game at Robinson Stadium in 1996 against S.U. :redhot: :redhot:

I bet, you right you were heated we were bringing natural smopkeacross that field!!!! And it was nothing you could do to stop it...lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

I bet, you right you were heated we were bringing natural smopkeacross that field!!!! And it was nothing you could do to stop it...lol

Yeah, you right.....There was nothing I could do about it because number 1, I was a crab and number 2, I don't blow a horn..........But there was sure something I could do with my fellow Houston Hardhead Snareline and the rest of the BOX to make 400 degreez a reality for S.U.'s percussion..........I really don't care about ya'll trying to blow so hard that your spleen enters your throat........All I care about is the "Wood and Axe":mad: :eek: :eek:

Skip,
"Midnight" is an SU original. The music to the cadence is kept in the archives of the KK Psi shrine. All of the cadences, 1st, 2nd, and the seldom played 3rd sequence, has been with Southern Band before Doc got there. PV has a very good drum section. But so is the "Funk Factory." We don't make up cadences on a weekly basis, because the ones that we play, do us just fine, year in and year out. I know you take pride in your section, but SU never bites. And I do mean, NEVER. No smacking, I come with the facts. Any old heads, before me, Can I get an AMEN!!! Have a good season, Skip. You guys did well in Shreveport.

Hello,

I was really disappointed Saturday. Everything started out hyped and the feeling that a battle was going to happen.

Then, Halftime. Neither band came with the 80's high energy they had last year. But, to give a general comment, they both had good shows. I was just expecting more.

PV: Tooooo Darn Long!!! That ballad wasn't needed. It was old anyway. In addition, that dance routine was really long. It had some house in it, but the length lost the crowd and you didn't get the house you could have. Plus, the going waaaaayyyy overtime was very disrespectful to the craft of HBCU Marching Band Performance. There are some really good kids in PV's band, I know a few of them personally. But, the leader needs to grow up. He knows better than to prepare a show more than 10 minutes. In addition, PV took around 3 minutes to get out of SU's way after their show, so SU couldn?t take the field though PV was off the field and finished with their show. Everyone knows the SWAC has put the stupid rules in place forcing the next band to wait until the previous band has completely cleared away. Why would you walk down the sideline rather than clear the sideline to walk around the track, so the next band can proceed with around 6 minutes on the clock verses around 4 minutes?

I enjoyed the ladies again and the Box. It seemed as though the Box was cut short this year, but they did a good job still. The dance routine had its points. I liked the entire band singing parts of songs (bands have gotten away from that, probably cause they want open their mouth loud enough to be heard anymore). But, again, impressiveness was lost by causing the crowd to grow weary.

SU: Nice drills including the salute. Doc knows how to touch a crowd's hearts through the drills and of course the Score was a hit with the halftime lead. The Dolls were nice. Looking great again. Shake Your Tailfeather Dance Routine was good.

I'm sooo glad whoever decided to give SU 8 1/2 minutes to perform did that. I haven't time him lately, but we use to make sure all of our shows were under 8 1/2 minutes no matter what. Even when Doc was heavy into 2 lengthy drills in '84, we paced everything to fit in the 8 1/2. FAMU and TxSU were notorious for going long, especially FAMU (they took forever to get on the field with their famous Death March and danced all night after that). So, you better make sure, you aren't counting on 10 minutes with them at home or your team would get a penalty. I always thought that was stupid. I really think it needs to be changed to penalizing the band(s) that are not under 10 minutes coming on, performing and leaving the field. It is stupid to have

PV: Leaving before the game is over. Man, your alumni ain't on you'll for that. You're representing the school and supporting your team and you don't stay for the Alma Mater? I know you were saying you probably wouldn't stay for a 5th Quarter, which I can't understand knowing my passion for bands and competition, but at least respect for your school would say stay until you play the Alma Mater for your school and alums. Then to hear it was for the band's safety... WHAT!!! I expect that kind of stuff for scared stereo-typed minded white folks, but HBCU leaders? SMH Someone needs to GROW UP... All I can say is WE ALL NEED TO PRAY FOR A CERTAIN LEADER. That doesn't make any sense. He is robbing the hard working kids of some great memories. Those are some good kids and I'm glad to see they are loyal and supportive of their band. That is the way they should be. But, the school's students, alums and administration should not allow their lack of support of this mentality to go unstated.

KKPsi: I was very proud to hear of the presentation ZN (SU) presented to our brothers at PV. That is the spirit of Psi; the spirit of BO; the spirit to which I came to know through ZN. That is the spirit of supporting the efforts of building better bands. Way to go Frat (SU and PV).

I'll see both bands again soon. I look forward to it.

AEA!!!

PEACE!!!

Great post.

Just to clarify again. Our show is NOT over 10 minutes long. Our show is right around the 9 minute mark. But we had to wait between 2 1/2 - 3 minutes just for the field to clear so we could take it. As I stated earlier, it seems as if the referees start the halftime clock while half of the team is still trotting to the locker room.

As far as the sideline thing goes, there is no track in Independence Stadium. We cleared that one area just so there would be no cantact with the SU band and no misundertandings. So we exited down the sideline as quickly as we could to get out of their way so they could perform.

ZN, as far as the energy goes, I would say the same thing, but you also have to remember that it was only week 2. Bands have not hit full stride yet. You have to take that into account.

Originally posted by s phi s
Great post.

Just to clarify again. Our show is NOT over 10 minutes long. Our show is right around the 9 minute mark. But we had to wait between 2 1/2 - 3 minutes just for the field to clear so we could take it. As I stated earlier, it seems as if the referees start the halftime clock while half of the team is still trotting to the locker room.

As far as the sideline thing goes, there is no track in Independence Stadium. We cleared that one area just so there would be no cantact with the SU band and no misundertandings. So we exited down the sideline as quickly as we could to get out of their way so they could perform.

ZN, as far as the energy goes, I would say the same thing, but you also have to remember that it was only week 2. Bands have not hit full stride yet. You have to take that into account.
flipp, it does not matter how you break down the arguement about the time, certain people will try to disprove what you say, maybe someone is looking for a reason for why p.v. may have been more than s.u. expected when they were expecting something far less than they got...in other words no excuses if you underestimated the storm and overestimated the jukebox.........:-( don't be upset it wasn't the first time that p.v. got all up in that azz............ps. tell the dolls that they were excellent, dancing and looking.....lets start a thread about the best looking majoretts and the worst looking majoretts

Originally posted by SKIP
flipp, it does not matter how you break down the arguement about the time, certain people will try to disprove what you say, maybe someone is looking for a reason for why p.v. may have been more than s.u. expected when they were expecting something far less than they got...in other words no excuses if you underestimated the storm and overestimated the jukebox.........:-( don't be upset it wasn't the first time that p.v. got all up in that azz............ps. tell the dolls that they were excellent, dancing and looking.....lets start a thread about the best looking majoretts and the worst looking majoretts

Boy go head

Originally posted by jukebox89
but SU never bites. And I do mean, NEVER.

WHo was the first band to play
TOTAL PRAISE and what band played in Shreveport on Saturday ! and you SU never what?:confused:

Originally posted by Quietstorm
WHo was the first band to play
TOTAL PRAISE and what band played in Shreveport on Saturday ! and you SU never what?:confused:

Um Um he is talking about Drum section....Our band don't bite...Several bands plays Total Praise....... Even Gram....

Originally posted by jukebox89
Skip,
"Midnight" is an SU original. The music to the cadence is kept in the archives of the KK Psi shrine. All of the cadences, 1st, 2nd, and the seldom played 3rd sequence, has been with Southern Band before Doc got there. PV has a very good drum section. But so is the "Funk Factory." We don't make up cadences on a weekly basis, because the ones that we play, do us just fine, year in and year out. I know you take pride in your section, but SU never bites. And I do mean, NEVER. No smacking, I come with the facts. Any old heads, before me, Can I get an AMEN!!! Have a good season, Skip. You guys did well in Shreveport.
thanks for the compliment, and i agree that we both play midnight and that cadence was bitten from you cats before i even got to p.v. but thanks for that cadence. the funk factory is still strong and i hope ya'll cut some heads when ya'll hit the next section in line......we need to come together and wreck havoc on the other conferences. when we battle swac sections it's because we have to, let's get outside the swac and let them no where the real sections come from....i know you boys will represent to the fullest good luck and represent well.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
ALL THESE NEOS IN THE STORM NEEDS NOT TO POST ON THIS HERE PAGE IF THEY CAN'T RESPECT OUR LEADER. THEY WASN'T HERE WHEN THE LAST PERSON GOT ON HERE BAD MOUTHING
TBS GOT HER ARSE KICKED OUT THE BAND, AND YALL WANT TO BAD MOUTH PROF. BOY PLEASE GET SOME REAL SWAC HOURS. HE** SOME OF YALL WASN'T REAL CRABS ANY WAY.

ON ANOTHER NOTE I HEARD THE STORM REPRESENTED THAT ARSE IN SHREVEPORT WAY TO GO BAND. ESPICIALLY MELLOPHONES.

TO THE EAST MY BROTHER TO THE EAST
CO/97 MAGNIFICANT MELLO-------PHONES

Originally posted by s phi s
Great post.

Can't roll with you on the week two deal, at least not from my experience and expectation of a marching band, especially top notch bands.

When I was at SU from '84 to '87, we had TxSU usually the second week of the year. In those days, the Ocean was the real deal. Between them and JSU, those where the two weeks we really had any concern that we could be at our best and they might match it. So, both bands came with all guns loaded (so to speak). Those were some high energy classic battles. I didn't see it, but I'm told the year SU went to Los Angeles (I think '90) to play Howard for the early game 1 that both bands brought natural smoke.

I think both bands felt as though they had something to prove last year and it generated the OLD SCHOOL HIGH ENERGY PERFORMANCE. Perhaps, that wasn't the case this year.

In spite of it, they were good shows. I just know both have more to offer.

PV sounded nice as usual. It appeared however the Tuba's realized they were going against another very strong Tuba section and started over blowing to the point of cracking some notes. That is understandable when the adrenialen kicks in in the heat of battle. You probably don't run across a section like that. I can recall how the blood got going for me, JR and crew back in the day when we faced TxSU and TnSU trumpets. Whew!!! Those were some serious battles.

To both bands, continue to do your part in building a better band at your school. No matter how good you are, you can ALWAYS be better provided the proper scarafices are made.

PEACE!!!

Originally posted by mellopower97
ALL THESE NEOS IN THE STORM NEEDS NOT TO POST ON THIS HERE PAGE IF THEY CAN'T RESPECT OUR LEADER. THEY WASN'T HERE WHEN THE LAST PERSON GOT ON HERE BAD MOUTHING
TBS GOT HER ARSE KICKED OUT THE BAND, AND YALL WANT TO BAD MOUTH PROF. BOY PLEASE GET SOME REAL SWAC HOURS. HE** SOME OF YALL WASN'T REAL CRABS ANY WAY.

ON ANOTHER NOTE I HEARD THE STORM REPRESENTED THAT ARSE IN SHREVEPORT WAY TO GO BAND. ESPICIALLY MELLOPHONES.

we can only attribute disrespect to the way that they were made. if they were not tought and guided in the right way to handle certain situations then we can not expect them to know...........nawl that's bullshizit these b-stards need to already know respect. i will blame it their upbringing. sometimes it starts at home

Um Um he is talking about Drum section....Our band don't bite...Several bands plays Total Praise....... Even Gram....

He did not specifically state the drum section! Also, please answer my question who was the first to play and sing it like FAMU. SU did not only play it, but also I heard the voal part of it as well. If that's not biting, than what is it ?

Originally posted by mellopower97

WHO ARE YOU REFERRING TO MELLO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back