PV's Baseball Coach Retires

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
LONGTIME PRAIRIE VIEW BASEBALL COACH ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

PRAIRIE VIEW, TX. - John Tankersley, head baseball coach at Prairie View A&M University, has announced his plans to retire from his position effective August 31, 2002.

The name of John Tankersley has been synonymous with Prairie View for over 33 years. He's been the chief architect of Panther baseball for 30 years, serving his first stint from 1969-72. During a two-year hiatus from Prairie View, Tankersley served as athletics director at his alma mater, Wiley College, before returning in 1974.

"I've had a lot of great times and some good fun during my tenure," said Tankersley. There comes a point and time to step down and let someone else take over. It's been very rewarding to see former players that have graduated and become model citizens in their respective communities and businesses."

Tankersley has had several of his pupils drafted and signed by Major League Baseball teams. His most noted pupils were pitcher Charles Hudson (Philadelphia Phillies), outfielder Steve Henderson (New York Mets), second baseman Ronald Stinnett (Philadelphia Phillies), shortstop Oddie Davis (Texas Rangers) and outfielder Joe Mitchell (Milwaukee Brewers). His most recent student that garnered an opportunity to play in the big leagues was catcher Mike Smith (Philadelphia Phillies).

As head coach at Prairie View, Tankersley led his teams to an NAIA district title and five NAIA zone titles. His success on the diamond earned him two Adirondack Big Stick awards, three Bill Ennis Athlete of the Year awards and several NAIA and Southwestern Athletic Conference coach of the year honors.

He was a consultant for the 1996 NCAA College World Series. For his accomplishments in the world of sports, he has been inducted into the Texas Black Sports and Prairie View A&M University Sports Halls of Fame.

According to Prairie View athletics director Charles McClelland, a national search to fill the position will begin immediately. Tankersley will handle day-to-day baseball duties until a new head coach is named and will remain at the university as assistant professor in the Department of Health and Human Performance.

His retirement has long been overdue, however I am glad that he stepped down instead of forced down.

His retirement has long been overdue, however I am glad that he stepped down instead of forced down.:idea:

Back