PVAMU Adds Housing to College of Nursing

Storm96

PVAMU College of Nursing set to add student housing in Texas Medical Center

HOUSTON (February 21, 2020) – The idea of having quality and affordable housing for Prairie View A&M University College of Nursing students is no longer just a dream. On Thursday, Feb. 20, the Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) revealed the mockups of the $550 million expansion plan for five-plus acres at 1020 Holcombe Boulevard in the Texas Medical Center (TMC).

During a news conference, TAMUS Chancellor John Sharp applauded College of Nursing Dean Betty Adams, Ph.D., for the college’s ongoing lobbying to secure housing for PVAMU nursing students.

“When I went to the Prairie View Gala, she was one of the first persons to find out about it,” Sharp recalled. “I went up to her—this was last year—and I said, ‘I think we got the bid to do the student housing.’ And she said, ‘What are you talking about?’ ‘We’re going to put up student housing. It’s going to be $400 to $500 a month cheaper than they are paying right now, and it’s going to be right across the street.’ I thought she was going to cry!

Adams, along with three current PVAMU undergraduate students, were in attendance to witness the System tell the world about the new housing, which should be ready for move-in by the fall of 2022.
“We have over 500 students in nursing,” Adams said, “and the nursing alumni have had the vision and have been lobbying to have affordable housing for PVAMU nursing students, that is also safe.”
The Chancellor said Phase 1 of construction—which is the housing tower and a parking garage that will have 1.2 million square-feet of space—makes TAMUS a pioneer in the TMC.
“It’s 60,000 students in the Medical Center and no student housing. It’s like no one has been thinking about the students,” Sharp said. “I am very proud to say that our students—Prairie View students and A&M students—are going to be treated better than anybody in this place!”

:clap:

Great news!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Texas A&M, Medistar break ground on $500M Texas Medical Center campus​

1601658524323.png

The main components of the campus are:

• Discovery Tower: Texas A&M acquired the 18-story office building at 1020 Holcombe Blvd. in 2017 for $145 million. That building was purchased to house the two-degree EnMed program, which provides students the chance to earn a master’s degree in engineering from Texas A&M University and a medical degree from the Texas A&M College of Medicine. Following renovations, Discovery Tower is slated to open later this year.
  • Life Tower: The 19-story, 714-bed student housing tower is scheduled to be complete in June 2022. Texas A&M medical students and Prairie View A&M University nursing students will be given priority in Life Tower, but other students could fill any remaining units.
  • Horizon Tower: Built atop a 13-story parking structure at 6929 Main St., the medical building will offer 485,000 square feet across 17 stories for life sciences, clinical, biomedical, technology and office uses. Horizon Tower is scheduled to deliver in January 2024, and JLL is handling leasing.

Back