PV signs 3... including All American

Quietstorm

memba2change4thabetta
NEW PRAIRIE VIEW A&M MEN'S
BASKETBALL COACH SIGNS THREE

PRAIRIE VIEW, TX. - Jerome Francis, announced as the head men's basketball coach at Prairie View A&M University on April 15th, has signed three players to NCAA National Letters of Intent. The list of new Panthers includes two high school players, Gary Hamilton and Dashon Harper, and one junior college player, Kevin Cooper.

Hamilton, a 6-9 power forward from Dorsey High School in Los Angeles, Calif., was nominated for the McDonald's All-American High School Basketball Team. He was named to the Los Angeles Times Central City All-Region Team, averaging 17 points, 15 rebounds and 4 blocks per game. Prairie View beat out Oregon State, Long Beach State and USC in signing Hamilton.

A 5-11 guard from Ready High School in Columbus, Ohio, Harper was selected District III player of the year in Ohio and named District III first team two years running. In his senior season, he averaged 23.1 points, 3 assists and 3.5 steals per game while shooting 50 per cent beyond the 3-point arch. Harper selected Prairie View over Miami-Ohio, Coppin State and Duquesne.

Cooper, a 6-3 JUCO guard from Lee College, chose Prairie View over Georgia State, Texas-Pan American and Centenary. He received region 14 honorable mention honors and averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals per game.

"We're extremely excited about these initial three signees of our first recruiting class. Each one of them offers something special that Panther basketball needs in order to be successful for the upcoming season," said Francis. "I'm looking forward to working with them, to help them grow as young men in the classroom and on the basketball court.

"These three young men will help us improve our shooting, rebounding and ball-handling," added Francis. "With them, we have size, skill and some athletic ability."

http://www.pvamu.edu/sports/sportsnews/MensBasketballNews.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Nice to see a good start for Coach Francis. This will only make Texas SWAC basketball better.

Dahill, promise me. No... swear to me. Better yet, give me your address so I can mail you your quote to sign off on come SWAC tournament time.

PM me your address.

I'm can not wait to get my season tickets.

As shown by the stats of these recruit, the focus will be on possesions, getting them via steals or rebounds and preventing the loss of them by ball handling skills.

Ask the Mavericks the importance of rebounding and defense. With the power forward, we also get inside scoring which the Mavericks are also lacking.

More championships are won with defense, rebounding and inside scoring than any other skills.

:D

Originally posted by mighty hornet
damn, tbf needs to be here for this!

Yeah MH!! He would really be standing on the furniture beating his chest and talking much isht. :) :)

I really hope that this means that our teams will get back to where to they used to be or at least near it. It was sad for our champion not to even win a play in game last year when in the past we have had champions to pull off major upsets or come very close to beating top seeds. I think we have only had one decent champion in the last 6 or seven years and that was Alcorn's team in 1999. The JSU, AlaState, PV and even this year's Alcorn teams were not tournament material.

I don't care which of you have good teams as long as we bring SWAC bball back up to decency.

Originally posted by C-LeB28
Dahill,

still waiting on that PM.

CJ
Tennessee State University
3500 John A Merritt Blvd
P.O. Box 3626C
Nasvhille, Tennessee 37209-1561

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Tigerpride
You must be still in college. Regardless, it's higher than Gram has ever been. That's all.

You still have your posting pass. I see you and Anderson have been hanging out.

Quiet Storm..... Get past the second round. First lets get back to the big dance and I will take having a respectable showing in the first round. I was there in person to see the 60 point $$$ kicking Paul Pierce and Kansas gave us.

OUT!!!

pardon the interruption......

DAHILL,
What do you know about George West from J.O. Johnson in Hsv??? He was at Northeast Oklahoma.
I see where he has signed with ASU.

pardon the interruption......

DAHILL,
What do you know about George West from J.O. Johnson in Hsv??? He was at Northeast Oklahoma.
I see where he has signed with ASU.

He's from my hood and my high school, so you know he has to be LEGIT... I just saw him yesterday and meant to ask him where he was at school. He use to win slam dunk contest at AAMU's Midnight Madness every year he was in high school. He is about 6'8 or 6'9, but VERY thin. He may not even weigh more than 200 pounds. He doesnt have a real good jump shot, but he will post up and do a good job. At JOJ he was known for dunking. He is LONG with very long arms.

ASU's predicted lineup for b-ball: pg malcolm campbell, sg keith gamble, sf lamar clark, pf ??, c Alvin Pettway. Remember the names cause that's who's gonna be champs this year

Hey welcome to the board sting!

DAHILL,
The info I have on West is that he's 6'6", 215
He averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds at Ne Okla

Spivery has put together a good recruiting class. A couple of big guards too.

Hey welcome to the board sting!

DAHILL,
The info I have on West is that he's 6'6", 215
He averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds at Ne Okla

Spivery has put together a good recruiting class. A couple of big guards too.

He is taller than 6'6 and damn sure aint 215. Well maybe I am saying he is taller because he is LONG. His arms are very long. I have seen him dunk from the free throw line. But honestly, the only thing I remember him being good for in HIGH SCHOOL was dunking. He may be a more complete player now, but in high school he wasnt first, second or third team all city. He was just known for the slam dunk.

Obie Trotter signs with Alabama A&M

Robertsdale multi-sport athlete to play basketball for the Bulldogs

05/19/02

By ROBERT LADNIER
Sports Reporter

ROBERTSDALE -- Robertsdale standout Obie Trotter signed Friday to play basketball at Alabama A&M University in Huntsville.

"The most impressive thing is his overall concept of the game," Robertsdale coach Cedric Yelding said. "When you have kids like Obie, it's real easy to coach. He knows the overall philosophy of the game. All you have to do is put him out there. He did all I asked him to do, and more."

The Bulldogs (19-10) finished second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference last season, and Yelding thinks Trotter can contribute to the program early on.

"He will be a great asset to A&M," Yelding said. "They lost a couple of guards, so he should be able to go right in and start. I have confidence he will work and go right in and play."

His former coach holds him in high regards.

"He comes from a good family, has real good morals and he's into church," Yelding said. "You can't ask for a better kid.

Trotter, who also played quarterback and free safety in football, chose roundball over the pigskin after receiving an offer to play on the gridiron at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Penn.

"Basketball has been my dream," Trotter said. "I've played all my life, and it's what I planned on playing."

Hoping to get an offer from an SEC school, Trotter said he accepted the next-best offer.

"That was my dream, but that didn't work out," Trotter said. "The people there are really nice, and they are very caring. They have a great campus."

Trotter wants to major in business management and sports broadcasting.

It wasn't hard selling the A&M program to Trotter.

"He visited there and was most impressed with their up-tempo style of play," Yelding said. "The guards are responsible for the bulk of their offense. With his athleticism he can run and shoot the 3's; that's the type player he is."

Getting the green light to shoot pleased Trotter.

"I liked the fact they have a run-and-gun offense," Trotter said. "They are guard-oriented, and they let the guards shoot a lot. The coach told me whenever I come, be ready and be in shape. He was going to let me loose this season."

With Robertsdale teammate Adam Longshore out with a broken hand this past season, Trotter believed it limited what he and his teammates were able to do.

"That really hurt us," Trotter said. "I had to play down low and play other spots. If we'd had him, I could have played more 1 and 2 (guard positions), instead of playing down low."

Yelding looks forward to seeing how Trotter fits into the collegiate game.

"It's going to be very interesting to see him play at the college level," Yelding said. "This past season he came right off the football field and wasn't in tiptop basketball shape. It will be interesting to see him bigger and stronger."

Trotter was high on AAMU's recruiting list. On signing day it was reported in the Huntsviille Times that he was going to Oscaloosa(sp) Community College because it was his dream to play in the SEC nad he felt like he could get there through the JUCO route.. This was a major pick up for AAMU. Trotter averaged 27 points and picked AAMU over Alabama State and OCC. Every year AAMU loses two guards somehow Pettaway knows how to pick up two excellent guards. It went from Craig Lottie and Deatrus Goodman, to Desmond and Steve, now Mike Davis and Obbie Trotter will be the future of AAMU.

Thanks might hornet

WHAT KIND OF NAME IS OBIE FOR A BBALL PLAYER! I SEE A&M IS STILL HAVIN TROUBLE RECRUITING BIG MEN! TO ME A&M HAS THE TALENT WIT THE GUARDS BUT THE FORWARDS AND CENTERS ARE TOO STANK! I KNOW ASU IS GONNA WHOOP THAT ARSE THIS YEAR, WE GOT THE GUARDS AND FORWARDS AND THE BEAST WILL BE UNLEASHED, WHO IS ALVIN PETTWAY!

I honestly think that STING is Alvin Pettway. He has posted a picture of AP on post and on another one he is talking about Alvin Pettway is a dragon waiting to be unleashed. As much as the BAMA ST fans dog Pettway, I would think that nobody in Montgomery liked him. I thought I was the only AP fan left.

I cant argue with what you said though, AAMU hasnt had a legit big man since big Coasta Malone was at AAMU in 95. I guess we will have to continue to win with guard play.

Back