Probe into Florida A&M drum major's death uncovers possible fraud at school

PV-PRIDE

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...vers-fraud-FAMU?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. — Florida authorities investigating the death of a Florida A&M University drum major say they have uncovered possible employee fraud and misconduct.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement sent letters Tuesday to the head of the FAMU board and the head of the state university system, telling them investigators had uncovered potential violations of law as part of the probe into what is believed to be the hazing death of a Marching 100 band member.

An FDLE spokesman would not discuss details of the investigation, but confirmed it will now be handled separately from Robert Champion's death. He died Nov. 19.

The letter from FDLE said the possible fraud and misconduct involves employees at the school as well as "persons associated" with the university.

Damm FAMU: Investigate one thing, uncover another completely different "crime."

Investigators: Drum major's death probe uncovers fraud at FAMU

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. — Florida authorities investigating the death of a Florida A&M University drum major say they have uncovered possible employee fraud and misconduct at the school.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement sent letters Tuesday to the head of the FAMU board and the head of the state university system, telling them investigators had uncovered potential violations of law as part of the probe into what is believed to be the hazing death of a Marching 100 band member. Robert Champion died Nov. 19 after a marching band performance at a football game.
A Florida law enforcement spokesman would not discuss details of the investigation, but confirmed it will now be handled separately from Champion's death.

Last edited:

You know how it is.......Once someone starts looking they are going to find something, whether it was what they are looking for or not.

And right now.....everything is fair game since the State is investigating.....

I hope our HBCU band directors and Presidents realize this is becoming open season on all of us. If yall wanna see our HBCU's make it in these tough times, we all would welcome ending crabbing activities. FAMU is not going to be the last one this happens too. Fall 2012 is going to be hell for all schools. They have been wanting to cut our budgets and get rid of us, now they have open season. They are going to sit back and wait now. Yall know Ga, MS, and Bama is gonna bring the heat. Watch what I tell you now.

Atlanta-area school system suspends marching bands; probe started after death of FAMU student

This is spreading and hopefully all this negative will bring positive days for HBCU's.

Anything that can change the negative mindset of band programs at HBCUs is a help. A lot of band programs at HBCUs thinks that they are more important then other programs at their University, which is a microcosm of the Black community that places Arts and Drama over Math and Sciences.

I hope our HBCU band directors and Presidents realize this is becoming open season on all of us. If yall wanna see our HBCU's make it in these tough times, we all would welcome ending crabbing activities. FAMU is not going to be the last one this happens too. Fall 2012 is going to be hell for all schools. They have been wanting to cut our budgets and get rid of us, now they have open season. They are going to sit back and wait now. Yall know Ga, MS, and Bama is gonna bring the heat. Watch what I tell you now.

Amen Cee, Amen!

Jindal is giving us he'll in Louisiana also.

Anything that can change the negative mindset of band programs at HBCUs is a help. A lot of band programs at HBCUs thinks that they are more important then other programs at their University, which is a microcosm of the Black community that places Arts and Drama over Math and Sciences.

America places Arts and Drama over Math and Science. Not just the black community. It aint enough white boys and girls majoring in the Math and Sciences either. That the reason for the STEM programs. I am involved with a STEM program that the Naval Academy puts on every Summer. It is constantly talked about the United States aint producing enough folks in those fields. There is nothing wrong with Band and Music programs. There have been studies that show kids that are into the music perform very well in the Math and Sciences. We hardly had any music majors in the Juke when I was there. It was a ton of us Science and Engineering Majors marching. Probably more than any other organization on campus. LOL

The problem is deeper than them thinking they are more important than anyone on campus. Hell, for most band programs they were more dominant during my era than now. LOL. So that aint it. The mindset is happening way before they get to our campuses. I bet that is what they have found out about SW Dekalb schools. That some of this at a smaller level is happening at the HS level. What has to happen is that serious consequences and repercussions for those who engage in it. That is the only way it will stop. The PWCs are having issues too with hazing. More so than folks realize. I posted before, that the Univ of Wisconsin is on strike 2 for hazing. One more time and they gone get disbanded for a minute.

Good Post Cee! You best believe this discussion is happening.

Man you beat me to it....the story was disturbing because both were graduates of the same high school. This could go extremely deep....

I think it will. Also, I would not be shocked if Bryant Gumbel re opens that story on HBO's Inside Sports they did about hazing in the HBCU bands that focused on the kid from SU but mentioned other schools now that this has hit the news. It aint going to get any better media wise. SMH.

Our tradition of HBCU bands is gone. There are money hungry parents and kids getting ready to try and line their pockets come fall 2012. If they are exercised or even threatened or any type of tactics they can holla sue for, they are going to try it. Drum majors and band directors are gonna have their hands full.
I think it will. Also, I would not be shocked if Bryant Gumbel re opens that story on HBO's Inside Sports they did about hazing in the HBCU bands that focused on the kid from SU but mentioned other schools now that this has hit the news. It aint going to get any better media wise. SMH.

i mentioned back during Thanksgiving that Bryant Gumble and the people at "Real Sports" are probably gonna do a follow up to their hazing story. If not a whole segment then I'm sure he'll bring it up in his closing remarks. I wonder how worse will if get for FAMU.

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...vers-fraud-FAMU?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. — Florida authorities investigating the death of a Florida A&M University drum major say they have uncovered possible employee fraud and misconduct.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement sent letters Tuesday to the head of the FAMU board and the head of the state university system, telling them investigators had uncovered potential violations of law as part of the probe into what is believed to be the hazing death of a Marching 100 band member.

An FDLE spokesman would not discuss details of the investigation, but confirmed it will now be handled separately from Robert Champion's death. He died Nov. 19.

The letter from FDLE said the possible fraud and misconduct involves employees at the school as well as "persons associated" with the university.

So, in other words there are at least (3) investigations going on-(1) the female hazing incident, (2) Champion's death and (3) some fraud involving staff as well. They keep this schytt up, the C.I.A will be there next.

Amen.

I don't mean to be insensitive to the victim, but I'm growing weary of hearing about this story everyday.

Anybody still think the SLEDGE HAMMER is not going to be dropped on FAMU and the 100 like no school / marching band has been hit before.

Any mofo at a HBCU caught doing this, knowing we are all on the radar, would have to be the dumbest mofos on Earth. But just watch, as sure as Friday comes after Thursday, some dumbazzes are going to be in the news about this same shat again.

Back