Price of Price: 7 years, $9.1M (Univ of AL)

cetmo

CIO
This is a hellava contract. Do you think we (HBCUs) will ever award a coach even a QUARTER of what this contract is worth?

cetmo

-----------------------------------------------------

Price of Price: 7 years, $9.1M

01/17/03

STEVE IRVINE
News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA New head football coach Mike Price and University of Alabama officials have nearly put the finishing touches on a proposed seven-year contract worth a guaranteed $9.1 million.

His proposed contract includes annual base pay of $150,000 and an annual "talent fee" of $1.15 million. The talent fee includes money from speaking engagements, camps, TV and radio appearances and some endorsements.

If Price coaches at Alabama for the length of the contract, he would also receive a lump sum of $1.5 million.

Both annual amounts are guaranteed for the length of the contract, unless Price takes another job. The contract does not include a buyout clause, but would become void if Price takes another coaching position.

His $9.1 million is guaranteed if he is fired.

Price is also eligible to receive incentive bonuses as follows: $25,000 for being named SEC coach of the year; $25,000 for national coach of the year; $37,500 for an SEC Championship Game appearance; $37,500 for a bowl appearance; $57,500 for winning the SEC Championship Game; $75,000 for appearing in a BCS bowl; and $100,000 for appearing in the national championship game.

Alabama is ineligible for postseason competition in Price's first season because of NCAA sanctions.

Both parties are close to agreement in principle on the contract terms.

The contract needs to be approved by University of Alabama System Chancellor Malcolm Portera, UA President Barry Mason, the Board of Trustees and the board's compensation committee. Certain changes in a contract can be requested by any of those parties, which would require negotiations to continue.

"It is hard to say if there is a set time frame," UA counsel Sandy Gordon said. "Sometimes they go quickly, sometimes they don't."

Former Alabama coach Dennis Franchione's original contract took more than two months to complete. Franchione, who left Alabama to take a job at Texas A&M in December, originally signed a seven-year deal worth $1.1 million per year. He was offered a 10-year deal worth a guaranteed $15 million last summer but never signed the new contract.

Price stands to make considerably more than he did in his final contract at Washington State. Price made more than $900,000 in his final season at Washington State, but a large portion of that was from incentives reached during the Pac-10 championship season. His pay before incentives was closer to $500,000.

Copyright 2003 al.com. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by SoloMan
We can get over a 100 head coaches for that kind of money.
cetmo and Solo

The two bamas HBCUs will come close to that in a couple of years.

We do things big in bama.

I dont think that article even talked about endorsements. UofA is a going to be a gravy train if Price can coach at all in that pressure cooker.

He got it made....

"His $9.1 million is guaranteed if he is fired. "

Even if he can't hack it and gets fired, he still got it made. If I was him, I would piss everyone off, disagree with everyone, and curse everyone out! Then he'd get fired. BAM, $9.1 Million!! (just kiddin')

To be honest with you, we pay our head coaches less than what a position coach make at these big time 1-A schools. I'm almost willing to bet you, we don't pay our coordinators more than the local high school coaches. This is why we don't have great coaching in the SWAC.

BAMA supporters have very deep pockets, and they do not mind spending the money. They don't mind putting their money where their mouths are. But in the same breath, they will expect results and they will not tolorate anything less. Trust me, when Bama fans get through with him, he will feel as if he is waaaay underpaid.

normalite9tre, you used the phrase "pressure cooker" in your post. That, my friend, is an understatement.

I'm from Tuscaloosa and the pressure is no joke. The head coaching job was vacant for about 12 or so days and there were news stories and live shots ever day. The UofA presidents job has been vacant almost a year and alot Bama folks dont even care. I had a Bama fan tell me the coaches job is just plain more important. They cover the presidential search every week, but you know what, we need a defensive coord. worse.

Back