President Bush.....wow!!!!

Dr. Sweet NUPE

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Thursday sharply rebuked incoming Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott for comments that some have called racist, saying any suggestion that segregation was acceptable is "offensive and it is wrong."

Bush's comments, delivered to a mixed-race audience in Philadelphia, came one day after Lott, a Mississippi Republican, said he would not give up his leadership post, despite the furor over his remarks.

"Recent comments by Sen. Lott do not reflect the spirit of our country," Bush said to loud applause. "He has apologized and rightly so. Every day that our nation was segregated was a day our nation was unfaithful to our founding ideals."

A spokesman for Lott said the senator agreed with the president that his comments were wrong and reiterated his regret at having said them. Lott later called the president and the two had what aides described as a positive conversation.

The president did not call for Lott to step down, but other conservatives say Lott must offer a fuller explanation of his comments, despite his apology.

"On their face, the recent comments of Sen. Trent Lott are offensive, repugnant and inimical to what the Republican Party stands for," said William Bennett, a noted conservative author and education secretary during the Reagan administration.

Bennett suggested that Lott's explanations about what he meant when he praised segregationist candidate Strom Thurmond's 1948 presidential campaign have been inadequate.

"If Senator Lott can provide a satisfactory explanation for his statement, this entire episode should be forgotten," Bennett said in a statement released Thursday. "If he cannot, he needs to step down as the Senate majority leader."

The president's strong statement suggests that Lott has failed to quell the controversy over his comments, which some conservatives complain have opened the GOP to charges of racial bigotry. On Thursday, the Congressional Black Caucus -- comprised of black Democratic lawmakers -- released a statement calling for a "formal censure of Sen. Lott's racist remarks."

Two Democratic senators -- John Kerry of Massachusetts and Russ Feingold of Wisconsin -- have called on Lott to resign his leadership post, but there has been no such call from any GOP senator. Several, in fact, have risen to Lott's defense, saying his apology should put the matter to rest.

But Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said Lott should have a "full-blown press conference" to address the controversy.

Don't be fooled

Bush sees the writing on the walls and is recognizing the level of PR nightmare this is becoming for the GOP. He remained quiet for quite some time and still has not suggested that Lott step down from his leadership post. This is deeper than that one comment. It brings several issues from Lott's past back into the light.

Curious George gets no thumbs up from me.

He gets a thumbs up for at least recognizing it and making a stand. No other Republican has been this vocal. Heck not even Nixon, who signed the Civil Rights Bill.

- I would like to see powell, rice and thomas either defend lott, or censor him. jc watts has already said trent didn't mean it.

Originally posted by blue72
- I would like to see powell, rice and thomas either defend lott, or censor him. jc watts has already said trent didn't mean it.

I usually don't post on this board, but love to dialogue with my colleagues about these issues in person. How does JC Watts know what Trent Lott meant? Did he ask him? If Lott wasn't referring to Strom Thurmond's segregationist platform in 1948 for the bid for the White House, what is it to not mean? My question to Senator Lott is, what "mess" is he referring to?

Nixon

He gets a thumbs up for at least recognizing it and making a stand. No other Republican has been this vocal. Heck not even Nixon, who signed the Civil Rights Bill.

Is Nixon still alive? I thought he was dead. :confused:

Nixon is dead, and sources on the news say that Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell have been approached my Lott, and told him, basically, "can't help ya. SORRY!"

Re: Nixon

I hope that you did not think that I thought NIXON was still walking around? I was using that as an analogy. Nixon saw the CIvil Rights Bill as a way to get re-elected.

Now, TUPAC is definitely still walking around.

Originally posted by Bartram

Is Nixon still alive? I thought he was dead. :confused:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE

Lyndon Baines Johnson signed the major civil rights legislation. He signed the Civil Rights act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He gave the executive order for affirmative action in the federal government in 1965, and I believe that he signed the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

I could have sworn Nixon signed something, if I'm wrong thanks for correcting me.

Originally posted by EB

Lyndon Baines Johnson signed the major civil rights legislation. He signed the Civil Rights act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He gave the executive order for affirmative action in the federal government in 1965, and I believe that he signed the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

I could have sworn Nixon signed something, if I'm wrong thanks for correcting me.

Yeah, the watergate hotel breakin of 1972.

Richard Nixon got U.S. Troops out of Vietnam ( in addition to the infamous watergate).

The under reported story on this issue is that Trent Lott attempted to get Rice and Powell come out and support him and they turned him down.

Back