Preserving Music

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Although I have a technical background, i haven't kept up with the latest in home recording/stereo/mp3 technology. I was going through boxes and am finding all my tapes and records from over the last 2 decades. Is there a way to record from tapes to mp3s and such? The thing is, i know, to get all my analog stuff (tapes and records) into digital form. Anybody know of a way to do that? I'm talking huge volumes,, not just a few tapes,, like 40+crates of vinyl and probably 15-20 shoe boxes full of cassette tapes.

jelli said:
Nero I think has something.

Got Nero at work, a CD-ROM burning software. Don't know of any analog to digital apps of theirs but will check.

See the thing is you got to pipe your stereo output into your PC. That would be 3/4ths of the battle right there because even on my old Windows 98/2000 box I was piping in the output of my stereo, but at that time that box was so slow and didn't have the m-processor to handle music multi-media like now nor did I have any software apps and even if I did at that time you didn't have the memory to handle the process unless you spent lots of money on a PC and external hard drives. now all that should not be a problem with the advances in technology.

Search the net. I think Goldwave has something to convert music. I dont you are going to get a crisp sound but it should be ok.

have you ever thought of buying a cd burner? not for computer, but the professional ones you might see in a recording studio. thats what i did when i came home. well i had the equiptmen for a while but never thought about using it that way. i have a tape deck going through a 10 band graphic eq, hooked up to my cd burner. the down side is u must sit there and moniter when the song starts and stops, or ur going to have 2wo songs on one track. but if u do invest in a burner, i also suggest gettin a cheap eq to bring back the sparkle and get rid of some tape hiss.... but if ur in the new orleans area give me a holler.

When the CD burners first came out (before the computer ones) from Fisher, I bought one. I still have it. I may have to hit up some of my DJ friends and see what I can burn!!!!

Back