Prairie View A&M selects PBK Sports to design Football Stadium & Athletic Field House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Prairie View A&M selects PBK Sports to design Football Stadium & Athletic Field H

It's probably in this thread somewhere or somewhere on the board but where is PV going to play home football games in 2015?

down the street

Here......

07160-000-wisd_athletic.jpg

Re: Prairie View A&M selects PBK Sports to design Football Stadium & Athletic Field H

Skanska constructs football stadium in Prairie View, USA -

See more at: http://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-SEK-360-M.html#sthash.DZMUFPxQ.U3Jhpra9.dpuf

:tup:

I hope PBK and Skanska can work a good relationship on Prairie View's stadium project. I'm sure Prairie View or the Texas A&M System will have an independent third party firm to do construction management on this project. Construction Management firms are hired with a minimal fix fee to make sure the relationship between the designers and the construction contractor runs smooth on big projects.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I hope PBK and Skanska can work a good relationship on Prairie View's stadium project. I'm sure Prairie View or the Texas A&M System will have an independent third party firm to do construction management on this project. Construction Management firms are hired with a minimal fix fee to make sure the relationship between the designers and the construction contractor runs smooth on big projects.

PV and Texas A&M I'm sure has a good staff of Project Managers, they just need to stay engaged and active in the process.. PBK does a great job of Project and Construction Management. Lets be Real, The issues come in when Owners get involved and want to add things without increasing the Overall budget of the project.. Thats When you go to Name brand X Seats to brand no Warranty Seats.. If PV doesn't go Change Order Crazy, they will be OK...

Question, is this Construction Management at Risk or was it open bid?

PV and Texas A&M I'm sure has a good staff of Project Managers, they just need to stay engaged and active in the process.. PBK does a great job of Project and Construction Management. Lets be Real, The issues come in when Owners get involved and want to add things without increasing the Overall budget of the project.. Thats When you go to Name brand X Seats to brand no Warranty Seats.. If PV doesn't go Change Order Crazy, they will be OK...

Question, is this Construction Management at Risk or was it open bid?

Typically construction contractors are the ones looking for change orders to increase their bid amount. It's up to the Designer and the Construction Management firm that determine if change orders are necessary. Prairie View will probably request a change order if they have additional monies left in the project and can get a few things included during construction. I've designed and managed enough projects to know how these things work. I've even done design projects for the Town of Grambling.

Typically construction contractors are the ones looking for change orders to increase their bid amount. It's up to the Designer and the Construction Management firm that determine if change orders are necessary. Prairie View will probably request a change order if they have additional monies left in the project and can get a few things included during construction. I've designed and managed enough projects to know how these things work. I've even done design projects for the Town of Grambling.

True, but my point was that as long as PV don't start making changes without additional Dollars the project will be ok. Must good GCs don't want COs because the 10% ain't never really worth it. But you know if Pv start no looking for no cost Changes in the finishes this will turn to a shitty mess.

When is PV new stadium supposed to be finished?

only major change orders that would happen is cosmetic stuff as you hope to throw in the major stuff in the base bid.....if there is money left, you add stuff such as upgraded lockers, landscaping, etc.....those things are usually bidded out as alternates

only major change orders that would happen is cosmetic stuff as you hope to throw in the major stuff in the base bid.....if there is money left, you add stuff such as upgraded lockers, landscaping, etc.....those things are usually bidded out as alternates

In hopes that those bid alternate items can come in under budget. And PVU can prioritize a list of things as an alternate. Typically, 3 to 5 items are listed as bid alternates. It also can be written that the contractor with the lowest base bid plus the bid alternates that is under budget shall win the contract, otherwise if none of the bids meet budget with the bid alternates, the contractor with the lowest base bid win the contract. It's bid language that favors the owner when trying to complete one project under one construction contract.

Last edited:

Can't wait to tailgate out there. :tup:

In hopes that those bid alternate items can come in under budget. And PVU can prioritize a list of things as an alternate. Typically, 3 to 5 items are listed as bid alternates. It also can be written that the contractor with the lowest base bid plus the bid alternates that is under budget shall win the contract, otherwise if none of the bids meet budget with the bid alternates, the contractor with the lowest base bid win the contract. It's bid language that favors the owner when trying to complete one project under one construction contract.

I hope the alternates come through myself....usually that's the things which make the difference....that's why you don't throw renderings out there full of bells and whistles as that's a fully equipped model....alot of schools do that for oos and ahs and come up short leaving people wondering what happened

I hope the alternates come through myself....usually that's the things which make the difference....that's why you don't throw renderings out there full of bells and whistles as that's a fully equipped model....alot of schools do that for oos and ahs and come up short leaving people wondering what happened

Typically, if bid alternates are added in the bid formula as another means of winning the contract, construction contractors will lower their prices in order to win the bid, but if the bid alternates are done as change orders after the bid is awarded, one can expect at least a 15% to 20% markup on each change order item, which is why contractors love change orders.

trust me...if there are any changes...it will be within budget...trust me on that...the system won't let it happen

Typically, if bid alternates are added in the bid formula as another means of winning the contract, construction contractors will lower their prices in order to win the bid, but if the bid alternates are done as change orders after the bid is awarded, one can expect at least a 15% to 20% markup on each change order item, which is why contractors love change orders.

Actually the Alternates have to be accepted when the Contract is signed. The Alternates is accepted if the Bids come in Under the Architects Budget. All this is Public Record. In actually you will get the alternates Cheaper in a Change Order then if it is accepted in a Bid. In Change Orders, if people are doing their Job, you have to itemize the cost, and you are only allowed 10% markup max ( sometimes only 4% for GC) so Change Orders are cheaper and more of a headache...

Bleachers and Lockers will be in the Base Bid on what they want to Use.. It aint a lot of companies that provide lockers so they gets standard based on what PV has already asked the Architect for. Architects like PBK not going to do Projects below a certain standard so it should be cool.

I am with a top 5 GC in the Country as a Project Manager in Trust me, we don't like or want Change Orders.

trust me...if there are any changes...it will be within budget...trust me on that...the system won't let it happen

Changes are Bad because they cause Delays... It takes 4 Months to Produce and Install some Lockers/Mill Work, If you change Last minute guess what you just delayed the Flooring, and other finishes

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

most of the time, they'll budget to put in infrastructure just in case you want to add something that's not originally there as it's cheaper to prewire, build brackets, etc than start from scratch

I laugh when someone wants to add space and they hit with that extra $50K charge due to high cost per square foot

See my sig below.....

Is it gonna be called The New Blackshear Stadium or Panther Stadium? I think I saw Panther Stadium in some of the documents.

until it's officially scheduled I'll say something...down the street can mean Houston or somewhere else....you know a promoter can take a game away and make a classic at the drop of a dime :emlaugh:

Get the job done Prairie View. I hope everything can be done under one construction contract. It should be a lot cheaper and less headaches.

UH had construction nightmares with their new stadium which became partial reason why the AD left for Missouri.

Good luck Panthers!

UH had construction nightmares with their new stadium which became partial reason why the AD left for Missouri.

Good luck Panthers!

Architectural firms are designing and allowing construction firms to build these stadiums too fast without the proper oversight, such as the $60 million Allen ISD Stadium. The design phase is when the designer spends majority of his/her time putting together a set of plans based upon all of the discoveries that is known about the site selected for construction. The construction phrase is when a construction firm follows every step that the designer put in their plans. For some strange reason, individuals are finding ways to cut corners and save money by circumventing the process. Ironically, the money they might have saved in cutting corners might cost them more in the long run.

Last edited:

Good luck Panthers!
The issues were about going over budget and later the food contracts. No actual construction issues. Oh, and a someone committed suicide at the site during construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back