Prairie View A&M New Athletic Complex (Con't 3)

PRAIRIE VIEW – Harold Bonner, who attended Prairie View A&M from 1958-62, couldn't believe his eyes when he glanced up at the Panthers' pristine, $61 million stadium.

"We never thought we'd see a day like today," Bonner said of older PVAMU alumni, many of whom were in the crowd during the stadium's grand opening on Saturday. "It's almost like an impossible dream coming true."

It's true all right, and PVAMU will play host to rival Texas Southern at 5 p.m. on Sept. 4, in a contest televised nationally on ESPNU to usher in a new era. The Panthers have come a long way in a short time, in constructing the state-of-the-art stadium on the same site of the old football home, a bare-bones structure now only a memory.

"Where this university has come from is truly amazing," Panthers coach Willie Simmons said. "We want to thank everyone who has blazed a trail before today – who have made it all possible."

The 15,000-seat stadium holds 10 skyboxes/suites and 500 premium seats, along with a field house featuring a large weight room, a dining area, locker rooms and training rooms, among other amenities. The long-term plan calls for an increase to 30,000 seats on down the line – and partially based on the Panthers' on-field success moving forward.

PVAMU finished 9-2 in 2015 in Simmons' first season, and it's projected to compete for a Southwestern Athletic Conference title this season. From 1989-98 the Panthers lost 80 consecutive games, an NCAA record. Last year the Panthers (8-1 in league play) finished a game behind SWAC winner Grambling State. Now, fans will get to enjoy PVAMU football in a whole different light – one under a new set of lights in their palace on the prairie about an hour to the northwest of Houston, and just off Highway 290.

"This gives us the best facility of any FCS school in the country," Simmons said, adding with a chuckle, "and it gives me the best view of any coach in the country."

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/New-football-stadium-ushers-in-next-era-at-9188609.php

The Stadium is Really Nice!!! I had a chance to see it on yesterday. It looks like a typical Texas High School stadium which is NOT a bad thing at all. It reminds me of the Berry Center Stadium here in Northwest Houston.

Major Props! Can't wait until my Jags in in that mugg....

Same company that did the Berry Center errr Cyfair FCU Stadium did ours.

A unique twist on it as we do give honor to all the Swac schools.

29252823546_0c3f91edc5_q.jpg
29252824976_2a33ec6a86_q.jpg

29252821946_d5271d129a_q.jpg
28998482680_24e46cba0b_q.jpg

29252820516_89416c2b0b_q.jpg
28998481330_6d33232250_q.jpg

28998480210_17d944e698_q.jpg
29252818796_597d2e70ab_q.jpg

29252825996_617b3f3909_q.jpg
28998478930_da5b79c048_q.jpg

Man, find some common sense & please close this thread. The more I read the negative comments/jibes, the more my disdain grows.

You all tried to give the collection here a glimpse into our window & obviously that wasn't the right thing to do. The window is open to texans & d-1 fcs schools from coast to coast so that's all that ultimately matters as we continue our ascension.

The smartest move when coming to a PV game, use the FREE shuttles, don't park on campus

Honestly, parking wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe because I came early (noon) and left late (midnight). I was able to park behind the architecture building and just take that road past University View straight to Owens Road then to Waller and onto 290. Despite the heat then rain, I enjoyed the tailgating and the game. The stadium is great.

The smartest move when coming to a PV game, use the FREE shuttles, don't park on campus

But the shuttles stop running at a certain time if the game is over or not from what I was hearing last night. No smack intended but with the delays I heard several people who were concerned about the shuttle service.

The smartest move is to buy a M/C. I was able to go around traffic right onto campus and parked no more than a few hundred yards from the Stadium. But I ended up parking over by the TSU alumni tail gate but still was easy and convenient. Whenever it's a big crowd a M/C is always to best mode of travel. I remember back in the day riding my M/C to the beach parties in Galveston cars would be backed up for miles and we just went right around them. Those were the days. I remember one time a young lady jumped out of a drop top benz and on the back of my boy's bike because she was tired of sitting in traffic. Later we were like who was that your were with? Do you need to catch up with your people. She was like no that was my Boy friend I ain't worried about him, that wasn't his car anyway. I digress, get on them bikes it makes life easier.

Ummmmm... Sleep, statute of limitations brah lets not tell all the biz about that previous life & the shenanifvckery going on the island w/ respect to the m/c deal lol :D lol.

Honestly, parking wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe because I came early (noon) and left late (midnight). I was able to park behind the architecture building and just take that road past University View straight to Owens Road then to Waller and onto 290. Despite the heat then rain, I enjoyed the tailgating and the game. The stadium is great.
I got there maybe 3:15 or so and hit the backup on 290 a little after county line. We hit the shoulder like everybody else and exited James Muse and turned on Owens. Drove up to that entrance by the grad apartments and had a straight shot to the parking lot across from university village. We made it in and sat down just as the first lightning delay was called. We left after the bands finished the 5th and drove right on out. Much smoother than I expected.

Well I parked in someone's yard as soon as I made the main exit off 290. The walk from there to the main area wasn't bad at all. Good atmosphere.

Back