Practice safe Internet on the road

Olde Hornet

Always use VPNs on the road!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2017/07/30/practice-safe-internet-road/519852001/#

've written about this topic several times and use a long list of precautions, so if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. Before you take that August vacation, let's talk about the rules for practicing safe Internet — and where I went wrong.

Kaspersky Lab, a global cyber security company, says one in five travelers have been hit by cyber crime while traveling abroad. In other words, it's open season on the jet set, particularly those who use open, public wireless networks.

"Never trust open Wi-Fi networks that require no passwords," says Michael Canavan, a Kaspersky senior vice president.

I reviewed the places where I'd logged into an open network. At the airport in Orlando. In Dubai. At the InterContinental in Nairobi. Impossible to tell where it happened.

What's wrong with an open network? It may be run by bad guys, according to David Balaban, an expert on ransomware.

"Hackers may set up fake Wi-Fi spots masquerading as a genuine hotel network," he says. "They create duplicate Wi-Fi networks using the hotel's branded online materials. They use stronger signals and so lure users to connect to them instead of the genuine hotel network."

This is from the same Russian company who is being investigated for being involved in hacking the U.S. election.

Back