Potential Homebuyer....

Braveman12

I learned yesterday that I will be relocating to Corinth, Mississippi from Illinois. I've been living in apartments since being in college, but its time to buy a starter home.

Does anyone have any "best-practices" or advice that they could provide as I move back to Mississippi and purchase a home? Where should I begin?? A realtor? The bank? A Financial Advisor?

I move this summer...

***I believe that 100% financed mortgage loans are going away March 31, 2008. After that day, down payment may be required for any loan closed in the United States! So if you're planning on financing 100% of the home price then you'll need to lock in a rate & have docs submitted to your bank before that deadline. FHA will be the closing thing to 0 down payment since they only require 3% down.

Also, decide what's the most you want to spend every month for a house; mortgage payment + insurance + property taxes + maintenance. Once you set a comfortable monthly budget, stick to it, even if the bank says you qualify for a lot more.

Call 3 or 4 Realtors in Corinth, Mississippi; go with the one that seems most eager to help you; & put them to work finding you something that meets your needs. A Realtor in Corinth can really help. I just sold a house yesterday to people relocating from New York (I'm in Houston) and their Realtor helped to make it an EASY process!

AND NO ADJUSTABLE RATE MORTGAGES!!! :upset::upset::upset:

Don't rush.

Take your time finding what you want in the area you want.

Like Blacknbengal said, take a class. I took several classes before I purchased b/c I wanted to make sure I understood EVERYTHING that was put before me.

It took me a little over a year to finally buy my condo.
My realtor is a friend of my mother and she is the ONLY person that started and finished with me. I met with several different lenders, one of them I paid (non-refundable) $150 and in the end I didn't buy with her. I had to feel COMFORTABLE with the person I was "signing my life away" to. Eventually I went with GMAC. I didn't feel rushed, everytime the conversation ended with Linda (from GMAC) she said, "...take your time, think it over. It's a big step". That meant a lot to me b/c the other banks/lenders I met with before would be like, "...this is a great deal. It might not be here much longer b/c the rates are rising.". I wasn't feeling that at all.

Be Patient. The process takes time. Don't be pressured into anything you're not ready for or don't agree with.

Look at alot of houses to see what things you like and don't like.

Look at both new homes and resales. There are pros and cons to both.

Ask questions about terms that are new to you. There's alot of gotchas and acronyms. Usually if you have a good Mortgage Lender they'll explain everything to you in great detail and offer great advice as far as options in line with your goals.

Know why you're buying the house. If it's a starter home that you plan to live in only for a few years, or are you trying to live in it forever and ever.

Get everything in writing. Never taken anything for word of mouth guarantees.

Research the area and see what houses are on the market. Next find a realtor in the area and contact them. Also find a mortgage company that has a good reputation and has low interest rates. Make sure sure you read all documents when applying for a loan for your mortgage. Some underwritters are shaddy. I learned the hard way.

All this info has been great! So far, I'm enrolled in a homebuying class at a local community college. I've also been in contact with 3 or so realtors and I've identified one who is really helpful. I'm preparing for my preapproval, which will happen before I visit the area next month.

I learned yesterday that I will be relocating to Corinth, Mississippi from Illinois. I've been living in apartments since being in college, but its time to buy a starter home.

Does anyone have any "best-practices" or advice that they could provide as I move back to Mississippi and purchase a home? Where should I begin?? A realtor? The bank? A Financial Advisor?

I move this summer...

If you already have a financial adviser, have him look at your current financial situation and let him tell you what you should be trying to do financially before buying a home and how much home you can actually afford. Then make a visit to the the bank or a finance company and find out exactly what type of loan you can get and how much you can be approved for. Then contact a Realtor to start your home search. Doesn't make a lot of sense to go out and look at house that you may not be able to afford. Also just because they say you can get up to $300,000 doesn't mean you want a $300,000 home. :smh:

Also when looking for a starter home you may want to be particular about the area/ neighborhood since this is a starter home and you will probably be looking to sell in 5 - 7 years. You want the area to still be nice when you get ready to sell. A lot of people don't like homeowner associations, but after living in a community without one and have one in my last two subdivisions, I see their purpose and love them.

There is some GREAT advice on here. I will reiterate.

1) Get pre-approved for a loan and shop for a house that is no more than 80% of what you are approved for. In other words, if the bank says your budget will allow you to get financed for $100K, then buy a house that cost no more than $80K.

2) 80% of the buyers sell their first house within 5-7 years. I sold my first house in year 7. With that being said, have an open mind about "Adjustable Rate Mortgages", such as 5/1 ARMS. If you are only going to be there for 7 years, it makes sense to pay a 5% rate for the first 5 years than to pay a 6.5% rate for the first five years.

3) Try to stay away from areas near things that would make it hard to sell your house. Graveyards, railroads, liquor stores, etc. Remember, 80% of the first time buyers want something better after 5-7 years, so you don't want to have a problem trying to sell a house near a railroad while you are building your DREAM HOME!

4) When you buy, make sure YOU WIN. Take the emotion out of the buying process. If you can buy from somebody who lost their job, going through a divorce, or got in over their heads, then more than likely you will get a good price on your house. Make sure the seller is the one that is DESPERATE, not you. (sounds mean, but its the truth and moreso the NORM).

** When I sold my first house, I sold it to a woman who was single with kids and had bad credit. I was already in the last stage of closing on my new house and was will to rent the previous house out for no-profit. However, since my buyer was credit challenge, single, kids, and desperate to get into a house, all I had to do was help with closing cost (a couple thousand dollars) and I was able to get top dollar for my property. Used that money to get into my new house without coming out of my pocket one red cent.

Congrats! Are you buy in Saltillo or Tupelo?
Thanks bro! I actually purchased the house in Guntown, which is a little further North on 45. The area is still rural, but it will be booming pretty soon. But it was right along the lines I needed.

1. Somewhat close to Tupelo (15 mins)
2. Within my budget
3. Relatively close to work (20 minutes)
4. Great School District (Saltillo Schools - Level 5)
5. Easy Access to Toyota Suppliers and the new plant itself (20 mins)
6. Low crime! :tup:

The list just goes on. I prayed over it and decided that this property is definitely an investment... so I hope to make a return if I must leave within the next few years.

Thanks everyone on all the advice you have handed out over the year or so!
We just closed on our first house recently! :tup: We were able to get some awesome deals from the seller! Truly a buyer's market right now! :nod:

We just closed on our first house recently! :tup: We were able to get some awesome deals from the seller! Truly a buyer's market right now! :nod:

Congrats! How does it feel to say OUR home? I'm happy for you and your family!

Cool deal!!!

When's the Housewarming party so we can mess up the carpet?!? :ebrow:

Back