Pledging Grad VS Undergrad

buckwheat

I pledged grad chapter of Omega Psi Phi. I was just talking to this Alpha that pledged undergrad at Boston U. We were just talking about the mentality of the undergrad vs the grad. I personally don't think there is too much of a difference in mentalities of both. What's you take?

I remember when I was undergrad,I, would not acknowledge Grad Brothers. But, now that I am older and wiser. I acknowledge all brothers, from all fraternities. Because, I realized that although we are in different organizations, we still have the same common goal... To better mankind through service.

And because we are in this "White man's" world, we all need to be looking out for each others. We are all in the same frat..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I also have two very, dear friends that will be pledging Kappa through the Graduate chapters and I await them with open arms into the Bond.. One of them may be reading this post right know. :swink: (Handle your business, Boy!) :nod:

But, I honestly think that Graduate brothers more about the business of the fraternity. I have seen undergraduate brothers that cross over and the only time you see them, again, is when there is a party or the brother are setting something out. Ask them to do some work and they are nowhere to be found.(Shirt-wearers) They are in the frat for the lime-light, for the hype. Leaning on the shield.

So, it is a doubled-edged sword.

jukebox89 said:
But, I honestly think that Graduate brothers more about the business of the fraternity. I have seen undergraduate brothers that cross over and the only time you see them, again, is when there is a party or the brother are setting something out. Ask them to do some work and they are nowhere to be found.(Shirt-wearers) They are in the frat for the lime-light, for the hype. Leaning on the shield.

Co-sign. However, most bruh's in my chapter graduate and aren't active w/ the Grad chapter because they are simply burned out on frat work while in the undergrad chapter. We partied and kicked it, but we were very serious about our business, i.e. fraternity projects, fundraising activities and making sure the chapter is in good health. That was a full time job outside of going to class everyday.

As for myself, I was going to grad chapter meetings while I was an undergrad, just to make sure my chapter was in accord with theirs, and to see how they go about carrying out business. And those bruh's are about business! It was like sitting at a Fortune 500 board meeting. But then there's always the more aged brother(s) that snub the undergrad bro.- that can be discouraging.

But all-in-all, I have the utmost repect for those who are initiated into our graduate chapter. They are already accomplished but still have decided to commit to ALPHA. I have seen CEO's, doctors and lawyers come through. :tup:

But it ain't nuthin' like being in a fraternity and being in college at the same time!!! Boy, boy, boy!!!!!!! :nod:

Although I am NOT GREEK, I do have aspirations to go that way soon. This is simply my "opinion" on the outside looking in. I have been around a certain fraternity for the longest (since I was like 7 or so), and I must say the grad members appear to be moreso about the business of the organization, and the undergrads seem to be about lilttle to nothing. Partying is nice, but my take is what about the community. Doing 1 community service project a month, not gentlmen like at all, and have no respect for their elders and that is for the most part. Seasoned members, especially once they make that transition from undergrad to grad, seem to actually serve the frat in regards to it cause and purpose. I am sure that the undergrad process is something that "some" may miss out on, but I do know that their are various "grads" chapters that do what they do as well. You can still "pledge" and be grad from what I know of, and from what my mother and brother says as well. Although they both pledged undergrad, their grad chapters do pledge their members. It not totally like how one would do it undergrad b/c you are dealing with professionals, but let them telling there are things that you can do. Me, I hope that I get the undergrad experience, but if not that is cool as well b/c I will get someone to pledge me fully one way or another. That's my spill on it.

I pledged the Graduate Chapter of Omega Psi Phi and I dont see a difference.

The fact that I came into the Fraternity at a young age (23) I looked very Undergradish, but when I approach a brother and they get to "know" me they say "and your a GRAD BRUH...wow?"
But I just say, Im not a Undergrad or GRAD im a BRUH. period. Its Kat bruhz in the undergrad and grad levels, but I dont judge them on the basis of HOW they came into the Frat. Small minded Omegas (notice I didnt say Bruhz) love to keep up division amoungst the two, but we all took the same oath under God.

I dont get caught up in Labels. I remember when I went back "home" to A&M at homecoming for the first time after I crossed.
Nu Epsilon and Xi Omega showed me love. I said what I had to say to certain individuals in the chapter and it was done. No hard feelings, No drama.

Sonny - Tried and True Son of Omega.

I greet All Brothers in the Fold equally. We are MEN of OMEGA and nothing can change that.

Most brothers that come through the grad chapter feels that way. Oh, there is not difference. But the truth is there is a difference.

Tell me that you get calls at 9:30pm saying "We got some boys come over and see them."
Tell me you get calls saying "We going over to the la la chapter to see their boys. You wanna ride or drive?"
Tell me you get calls saying "We're have an after set at joe-joe's house, come though."
Tell me you get calls saying "The sweets from ZYU is coming over tonight, it's going to be on and popping."

I stll get those calls. Dont get me wrong, some grad brothers MAY get these types of calls from undergrads (maybe sonny, maybe), but most dont. I have gotten them from a host of chapters.

These are a few examples out of many. There are differences in Grad-made brothers and undergrad-made brothers. :lol:

docmump said:
I stll get those calls. Dont get me wrong, some grad brothers MAY get these types of calls from undergrads (maybe sonny, maybe), but most dont. I have gotten them from a host of chapters.

And the _ _ _ :( thing is that I do get those calls. :smh:

Being almost 27, working, taking care of the family, I cant be out at 3:30 in the morning in East St. Louis making no boyz (evil snicker) and try to function at work for 9 hours.

But I see what saying Doc. I think more GRAD bruhz dont see a difference while MOST undergrads DO see one. Its not a way of Grads wanting to be "Accepted", but its the point of not wanting to feel "Rejected" for not going undergrad.

I love all my Bruhz, and other GREEKS too. In another time and place I could have been...........................naw I would have always been an Omega Man

BandFan said:
And the _ _ _ :( thing is that I do get those calls. :smh:

Being almost 27, working, taking care of the family, I cant be out at 3:30 in the morning in East St. Louis making no boyz (evil snicker) and try to function at work for 9 hours.

But I see what saying Doc. I think more GRAD bruhz dont see a difference while MOST undergrads DO see one. Its not a way of Grads wanting to be "Accepted", but its the point of not wanting to feel "Rejected" for not going undergrad.

I love all my Bruhz, and other GREEKS too. In another time and place I could have been...........................naw I would have always been an Omega Man
Sonny,
Being a 35 year old man with a family, I can.... :devil2::devil2::devil2::devil2::devil2::devil2:

LET ME REPLY AGAIN ALL I AM GOING TO SAY IS THAT YOU WILL NOT GET EVERYONE TO COOPERATE AND ACCPET YOU. SO, WHAT YOU DO IS IF THEY GET OUT ON LINE THEN PLACE THEM BACK IN LINE....... I FEEL THAT SOME PEOPLE TAKE THIS GREEK STUFF TO THE EXTREME...... TRUST ME WHEN I SAY I CAN TESTIFY ABOUT THIS.......

gramuntildeath said:
LET ME REPLY AGAIN ALL I AM GOING TO SAY IS THAT YOU WILL NOT GET EVERYONE TO COOPERATE AND ACCPET YOU. SO, WHAT YOU DO IS IF THEY GET OUT ON LINE THEN PLACE THEM BACK IN LINE....... I FEEL THAT SOME PEOPLE TAKE THIS GREEK STUFF TO THE EXTREME...... TRUST ME WHEN I SAY I CAN TESTIFY ABOUT THIS.......

huh?

What Frat/Sorority are you in?

Doc: I wasnt trying to put him on Blast or anything, It just seemed like he has some personal issues about Grad/Undergrad.
The last thing he said was "TRUST ME WHEN I SAY I CAN TESTIFY THIS".

It just sounded like he was BEATUP by some undergrads for not pledging UG.

It took about 4 minutes to peice together that broken english also.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I don't think there is a difference in those sorors who pledge undergrad vs. grad. Yeah, you have those few who think they are better because they did it while in college. Personally, I could care less when you pledged as long as your are active. Too many join as an undergrad or grad just to become letter wearers. They want to be apart of something just to say they are.

When I lived in Houston I was active in the grad chapter. While I was there we took over a line of 44 women. I would say less than half of them remained active more than a year after they pledged. For some, it was a matter of status while for others it was about doing the business of the sorority. You have the same mentality among undergrads. I was on a line of 7. Only 2 of us are active to this day. In fact, when I attend convention/regional conference I regularly only see 1 or 2 other young ladies that pledged in my chapter during the time I was in undergrad.

Personally, I don't give a hoot in Hades where a brother was initiated. As long as he is ACTIVE, pays his dues, participates in the activities and projects of the chapter, and is doing his part to uphold the ideals and aims of nation's oldest fraternity established for Black college men, he's alright with me. If he's not doing these things, he can keep out of my sight!

AAMU Alum said:
Personally, I don't give a hoot in Hades where a sister was initiated. As long as she is ACTIVE, pays her dues, participates in the activities and projects of the chapter, and is doing her part to uphold the ideals and aims of nation's oldest sorority established for Black college women, she's alright with me. If she's not doing these things, she can keep out of my sight!

:nod2:

LS Syndicate said:
Co-sign. However, most bruh's in my chapter graduate and aren't active w/ the Grad chapter because they are simply burned out on frat work while in the undergrad chapter. We partied and kicked it, but we were very serious about our business, i.e. fraternity projects, fundraising activities and making sure the chapter is in good health. That was a full time job outside of going to class everyday.

As for myself, I was going to grad chapter meetings while I was an undergrad, just to make sure my chapter was in accord with theirs, and to see how they go about carrying out business. And those bruh's are about business! It was like sitting at a Fortune 500 board meeting. But then there's always the more aged brother(s) that snub the undergrad bro.- that can be discouraging.

But all-in-all, I have the utmost repect for those who are initiated into our graduate chapter. They are already accomplished but still have decided to commit to ALPHA. I have seen CEO's, doctors and lawyers come through. :tup:

But it ain't nuthin' like being in a fraternity and being in college at the same time!!! Boy, boy, boy!!!!!!! :nod:

Co sign...

Bandfan....well stated.

AAMU Alum said:
Personally, I don't give a hoot in Hades where a brother was initiated. As long as he is ACTIVE, pays his dues, participates in the activities and projects of the chapter, and is doing his part to uphold the ideals and aims of nation's oldest fraternity established for Black college men, he's alright with me. If he's not doing these things, he can keep out of my sight!

Since we are professional organizationals consisting of college trained men and women we need to hold our members to the high standards as stated by AAMU Alum. Once we find that those who don't want to be a part of who we are we need to drop them like a piece of hot coal. Brothers and Sisters do not take advantage of each other.

I pledged Undergrad and it was cool....it shouldn't matter when you pledge, if you're holding up the name of your Fraternity/Sorority to what it was intended to do.....your work in the organization is what matters and making sure your organization don't fall is the most important thing.

Bruhs that say you didn't do this in Grad...or you didn't do this in undergrad...or the you didn't do this on the yard you were on...etc...really DON'T KNOW who in the hell did what except for where they CROSSED unless they were there! And that's really all that matters. You shouldn't PLEDGE to outdo some other chapter anyway....that defeats the purpose. If you WENT THRU IT...use what you learn from it (Perserverance)..if you learned anything at all. But when it's over...it's over...Now it's time to get to work...GET ACTIVE! Telling your war stories is all good...just don't let it cloud your judgement, or make you judgemental of others. And for the record...I personally know MANY GRAD chapters that are ...lets just say...just as..if not more strenuous than some UNDERGRAD chapters. It goes both ways...Undergraduates just tend to lose their discretion faster, therefore, giving the perception that it's a difference where you pledge based on what you've heard...not actually know. We can't let that control the WORK that needs to be done. I have seen GOOD ACTIVE BRUHS...get wrecked...and said the hell with this...and become ghost. Now I'm not condoning being KAT and leaving under any circumstance, but it happens and chapters suffer in productivity and participation because of it. Bbut again I say...NOTHING or NO ONE should make you put down your letters. No wood was hard enough or brother man enough!

ROOOO...

I pledged the only way I could and that was Grad Chapter. I had too many responsiblities for undergrad. When I pledged I was still juggling a job, husband and children. It was a task at hand but I loved every pledging moment. I have a special love for my line sisters and Lots of Love for my entire sorority. I do think everyone must support the brotherhood/sisterhood in finances and brains/hands. I run into a lot of sisters who are not active and whisper "I'm a Sister" and I am like :what: because I don't see them at Sorority Meetings or other events. I attempt to encourage them to get back active but I do understand one may have to step back with a family. It does get crazy with hauling children from one activity to another and then trying to conduct Sorority/Fraternity business.

Back