Plasma or Flat Screen?????????

Yea, sounds good.... Who has the best quality? I went looking the other day
and they try to throw in packages w/theater system and extended warranties.

Whether you get Plasma or LCD, you will want to get an audio system that can really make the purchase well worth it.

I have a rear projection HDTV at present. My next purchase with be a LCD display. I'm not totally sold on plasma at this time.

My co-worker just bought a Westinghouse 37 HDTV --- its cost less than other models and people seem very satisfied with the set. So far so good with him, I hope to get invited over during March Maddness to check out the picture for myself. It does not have cable card or HDMI support. The HDMI is coming in the next model of the set.

One more thing - the newer sets are coming with turners built in. You DONT HAVE TO HAVE cable or satellite to recieve HD programming. If you live in or near an urban area with good over the air signals, HD is broadcasted just like old fashion TV signals, all you need is an antenna for your HD reception.

Cable or Satellite will provide you access to HD channels such as ESPN-HD.

Don't forget to include DLPs in the equation, too.

All three options hav pros and cons.

I'm moreso in favor of DLP technology/price combination, but some of the Plasmas are dropping slightly in price (slightly) and that "burnout" scare has supposedly been eliminated...

Plasma really is overrated, plus as Ntel mentioned, you have that burnput/burnthrough factor to deal with.

Honestly, go in the store with a budget, find a TV you like and get it. In today's market you really can't go wrong, and in 6 months there will be something new out that makes your new TV obselete anyway. In alot of cases all the bells and whistles that are attached to a TV, you rarely use anyway. Besides, unless you are comparing two TV's side by side, you can't really see the difference in picture quality while watching regaular TV channels.

I've had my eye on a LCD flat screen for a while now. What are the disadvantages of them? The advantage I see in it is a space saver and I can just mount it on the wall and not worry about purchasing a tv stand, etc.

Back