Ph.Ds Versus All Other Doctoral Degrees

I've heard others use the analogy to pledging for Ph. D.'s. But I'll say this, if pledging is as intense and stressful as my Ph. D. experience was, then I'm glad I didn't pledge.

Regards.

Well, I am working on my PH.D in Computer Science and it ain't no joke, but all of them are hard, just a different type of pain and suffering. But I know one thing, some of them Ph d's in education where they write a whole dissertation on why inner city kids don't score as high as kids in the suburbs. :rolleyes: A good paper but you can never get away with something like that in any of these fields.

Doctors of Philosophy Degree Awarded On Monday Dec 16, 2002:

1. English, Dissertation: Elene and The True Cross

2. Counselor Education Dissertation: An Examination of School Counselors' Awareness and Immplementation of the Statewide Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program Model In Alabama.

3. Education Research Dissertation: The Effect of Student Attitude Background, Teacher Background, Home Environment, and School Environment on Mathematics Achievement: A Third International Mathematics and Science Study.

4. History Disseratation: Yankees in King Cotton's Court: Northerns in Antebellum and Wartime Alabama.

5. Health Education Dissertation: The Influence of Alcohol and Marijuana Use on Preceived Norms, Behavior, and Health of College Students.

I only listed a few, but there are more. It depends on the school and how much you are willing to take.

Lewis: Are you drunk?

So-called computer scientists have some of the WORST quality dissertations imaginable. Heck, I've seen dissertations in math that were all of 20 pages long. I guess Einstein's 12pg dissertation set the trend. In fact, because of the confluence of foreigners in your field, rarely does the diss. read far above a college freshman term paper. And don't even get me on to the kinds of research designs that get pass committees in that field. It's almost always quantitative and the results always lead to some rather mealy mouthed conclusions.

While I would agree that I've read some rather weak Ed.D. final papers, I would NEVER call that kind of hard core post-modern, quantitative research, "bad." The human experience, and research with human subjects is the MOST DIFFICULT endeavor you can imagine. There are far more validity and reliability threats to each project with human subjects than some "code" contest.

Please leave your biases at the door. The crap that comes out of Comp Sci committees are just as bad on the academic pursuit of "knowledge."

LaMont

Am I crazy..or what...

I'm not knocking PHd, JD, or any of it....BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....

It will take some pretty strong convincing to prove to me that any of that is more difficult and strenuous than a medical doctor. A PHd is nice and all...but when i need a bullet removed from my chest...that MD better have prepared his azz off for that type of mental and physical work. I would rate an MD higher simply because of the job itself. You are working with lives....health..immediate death....etc...

I know PHd's study and research to assist...etc...and JDs get you out of jams..or put you in them...but my immediate health...tops it all....

You can argue the JD and PHd all day...I think it varies between the type of lawyer and the type of doctorial degree.....BUT and MD ranks higher in difficulty in my opinion...and it's not even close.

Another thing...just because you have a PHd or JD...that doesn't mean that you couldn't be an MD if you choose to...It just means you didn't want to. I'm not knocking ANYONES capability...I'm just saying what I think the MD license is the most difficult to obtain.

Let's Break It Down Like This

Coursework

1. In most Ph.D. programs some classes are only offered every 18 months which means you may have to wait almost a year and half.

2. The coursework in a Law School is there in black and white. Especially during your first year.

3. Medical School is basically the same way as Law School.

Ph.D's just have more rigor. It goes back to my previous statement that if you open up a phone book in any village, town or city you will ALWAYS see a Lawyer or a Doctor; yet how many Ph.D's will you see or hear of?

Back