Pettway out remainder of season

Olde Hornet

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySportspettway18o.htm

Alvin Pettway's career at Alabama State apparently is over.

The Hornets' senior center tore the ACL tendon in his right knee in a game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff last Saturday. ASU head coach Rob Spivery received word earlier this week that Pettway wouldn't be able to play again this season.

Spivery said there are no other options.

"He used a medical redshirt in his first season here for the same thing," said Spivery. "I believe he's done. There's absolutely no chance of him coming back this year and there aren't any more options available. I think it's over."

Spivery said even a good run by the Hornets in the postseason wouldn't allow Pettway to return.

"This is going to take several months to rehab. I wish I could say there was a possibility, but there's just not. He won't be playing for us again," Spivery said.

Several attempts to reach Pettway on his cellular phone on Friday night were unsuccessful.

The chore now for the rest of the ASU basketball team is to move on and somehow try and replace Pettway.

"We're going to let Derrick Russell start in Pettway's place," said Spivery. "He's been playing really well and coming into his own. Mike Green will back him up. Against Mississippi Valley State on Monday, those two combined for 21 points and 10 rebounds. So, there's definitely some talent there."

But even while Spivery is trying to be optimistic, he can't help but see the gapping hole left by Pettway.

The loss of Pettway comes as ASU was starting to hit its stride.

The Hornets enter today's game at rival Alabama AM at 7-7 overall and 4-0 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. The Bulldogs are 5-7, 2-2. The game has been moved to Von Braun Center.

The women will play at 3:30 p.m. followed by a National Developmental League Basketball game. The men will cap off the evening at approximately 8:30 p.m. The game can be heard locally on WVAS-FM 90.7.

One of the keys to ASU's good start in conference play has been the steady improvement of point guard Malcolm Campbell.

Last year, Campbell drew criticism from Spivery for his inconsistent play and out-of-control style. This year, according to Spivery, Campbell seems to have a better understanding of his role in the offense.

"He's controlling the tempo of the game now," said Spivery. "That's what his job is and he's been doing it well."

Spivery said the Hornets would need more of that good play today against Alabama AM. However, he also admitted he has no idea what to expect tonight.

"It's a rivalry. Each team will give its best performance," he said.

While Spivery is dealing with the first serious injury of the season on his team, ASU women's coach Freda Freeman-Jackson has become an old pro.

In all, four players that Freeman-Jackson was expecting to contribute this year are out for the season.

"It's really been a struggle for us to overcome all of the injuries," Freeman- Jackson said. "All of the players we have out were expected to get a lot of playing time this year."

Three of those players -- Katina Daniels, Elma Stevenson and Tawana Harris -- have torn ACL ligaments. Forward Vickey Pouncey will miss the rest of the season due to family issues.

But the injuries haven't led to the Lady Hornets backing down from any of the expectations they had for this season.

"Injuries are a part of the game," Freeman-Jackson said. "You just have to play harder. The ball keeps rolling. We will too."

Four games into the conference season, a three-team race for the SWAC regular-season title is taking shape between ASU, Grambling State and Southern. The Lady Hornets are 4-0, while Grambling and Southern are both 3- 1.

"I think whoever wins this conference is only going to have one or two or maybe no losses," Freeman-Jackson said. "It's very important for us to stay focused and not have any slip ups along the way. One slip up could cost us the conference title."

The most obvious chance for that slip up comes today, according to Freeman- Jackson, as her Lady Hornets play rival Alabama AM.

"This is a rivalry game so records don't matter," she said. "It's always a dangerous game when the other team is going to come after you with all they've got."

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a big blow for ASU and the SWAC. The loss of him leaves PV as the team to beat.

I really feel sorry for Pettway, ASU, and the SWAC. I had been watchin Pettway play since he was at Carver-Montgomery. When I heard he signed with Bama St I almost cried, because I knew he would be a dangerous force. Hopefully he can rehad his injury and try out for an NBADL team.

Sorry to hear about that young man's tragedy. I hope he rebounds from this and find a spot on someone's team in the future.

I can't even revel in our victory earlier against GSU while learning of this news.

This really saddens me. :( I really hate seeing careers cut short like this. :( Hope rehab goes well for him and he keeps striving afterwards! :tup:

He tore a knee his freshman year and worked hard to get back to become one of the best player in the SWAC before this injury. He's a good student and is on schedule to graduate. He was at the game last night in Huntsville.

Also, a representative from the Food World corporate office presented a check for $100,000.00 to the two schools.

Originally posted by J C
Also, a representative from the Food World corporate office presented a check for $100,000.00 to the two schools.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the $100,000,000 check was presented to Alabama A&M University.

Dahill, you may be right. It was confusing. Why was ASU Athletic Director out on the floor receiving the check with the A&M representatives? I know that Food World was one of the corporate sponsors of the MCC. I was under the impression that it was presented to both school to split 50/50. Find out and let us know for sure.

Originally posted by J C
Dahill, you may be right. It was confusing. Why was ASU Athletic Director out on the floor receiving the check with the A&M representatives? I know that Food World was one of the corporate sponsors of the MCC. I was under the impression that it was presented to both school to split 50/50. Find out and let us know for sure.

Maybe Mighty Dog can help out to better clarify.... I know the man representing Food World was the manager at the Food Word across the Parkway from Alabama A&M, so it wasnt some big time man from a national office or anything. I also was wondering why the Bama St man (i thought it was the president lol ) was out on the floor also.. Mighty Dog can you help clarify this?

Originally posted by mighty hornet
:smh::smh:

Big blow to the HORNETS.

Pettway was first team All-Swac his sophomore and junior year.

MIGHTY HORNET.....
Comgrats on both victories over my AAMU MEN & WOMEN B-ball teams. Sorry to hear about your BIG MAN A. PETTWAY. I hope the young man gets better quick. Do you know if he will be able to count this year as a medical 'redshirt year'? He is definitely a GREAT player and The HORNETS will miss him down the stretch.

Man. Hate to hear that they (NCoonAA) won't grant another year of elgibility (med redshirt). Aren't there hardship cases that merit 2 years of med reshirt?

Originally posted by Panthro
Man. Hate to hear that they (NCoonAA) won't grant another year of elgibility (med redshirt). Aren't there hardship cases that merit 2 years of med reshirt?

In extreme cases you're granted a 6th year if you have 1 regular redshirt year and another medical redshirt year. You don't get 2 medical redshirts though.

Originally posted by TRU3000
I was wondering where Pettway was at when I watched the game saturday???:confused:

sorry to hear such bad news.....

You and me both, Tru. I was curious as to whether or not Pettway was on the court. I hate to hear that. He's a great player, and obviously a good student as well.

BTW, Congratulations Hornets! The best team won. How many times has this game come down to a last second-shot over the past five years now?

Our Bulldogs seem to still be looking for their identity at this point in the season. It was great game (as most AAMU/ASU games are,) and a great setting. The Bulldogs and Hornets will ALWAYS bring crowds. Looks like we maybe headed to the VBCC for at least ONE more year.

Congrats again!

Hopefully it will stay at the VBC.... I could actually breathe this year, i didnt have to share no bleacher with some 300 pound woman, I could actually SEE the game this year. I believe UNTIL we get an arena the game needs to stay at the VBC.

ASU center faces familiar road

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

Alvin Pettway knew what was wrong the moment it happened.

It was the same sickening pop, the same excruciating pain.

All of it, exactly the same as it was four years ago when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

This time it was the center's right knee.

"I knew. In the back of my mind I knew what had happened," Pettway said. "I didn't want to believe it, but I knew the minute it happened."

With five seconds remaining in the first half of Alabama State's game at Arkansas-Pine Bluff two Saturday's ago, Pettway went up for a rebound against a Pine Bluff guard. As he was coming down, he made contact with the other player, knocking him off balance. Just as Pettway landed on his right foot, the guard came crashing into his right leg.

His knee bent inward and Pettway heard the familiar pop.

"It might have been a different knee and different circumstances, but it was the same pop," Pettway said. "It's so painful. You never forget it. I knew what had happened."

Now, a couple of days removed from surgery, his career at ASU over. Pettway faces a long and painful rehabilitation.

"It takes a long time to get this thing healed," Pettway said. "It's long and it's painful. I'll probably be going at it for four or five months."

At least this time he wasn't going into the process blind, according to Pettway.

"I've been down this road before," he said. "It makes it a little easier to know what to expect. I know what I have to do this time and it helps."

The first time Pettway suffered an ACL tear was before his freshman year at ASU. He sat out that season on a medical redshirt and came back strong the next year. This time, however, his eligibility at ASU will be up by the time he gets healthy, and Pettway isn't sure what he's going to do.

"I'll probably just try to get into some NBA camps in July," he said. "I'll work hard until then and give it a shot. Coach told me some scouts have called asking about me and have been looking at me, so maybe there's a chance. If not, I'd like to try coaching I think. I just know that I can't leave this game."

With Pettway in the lineup, ASU looked like a lock to win the SWAC.

Without him, things aren't so clear.

"It's impossible to replace a player like Alvin," said ASU head coach Rob Spivery. "Not only his play, but his leadership was so important to us. He was our rock. We were really going along well. I was almost certain we were going to win the conference."

The only chance for ASU now is for backup centers Derrick Russell and Michael Green to step into Pettway's spot and fill in.

"Both of those guys have really played like we needed them to since Pettway's injury," said Spivery. "They'll have to continue that for us to be successful."

Pettway doesn't doubt that they will.

"I played against those two guys in practice," he said. "Most days it was just the three of us off to the side working on our games. I know what they can do. They can fill the hole. I don't have any doubts about their ability."

And Pettway said he'll be right there to help out.

"Whatever I can do to make this team better, I will," he said. "I have no doubt that this team can still win the conference title. There's a lot of talent here. They just have to play like they're capable of playing."

So in the past weeks, he's gotten a head start on his coaching career.

"I've been trying to help my teammates out during the last couple of games," he said. "I can't get out there and physically help them, but I can share some insight with them. I can help them out by sharing what I've learned about the game over the past five years here. Hopefully, I'm helping a little."

And that's where Pettway begins to separate himself from a lot of players.

In the preseason, he was voted an All-Southwestern Athletic Conference player for the second straight year. On top of that, the Hornets were picked as one of the favorites to win the conference and make another appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Most would feel robbed of what looked to be a promising finish to a great career -- not Pettway.

"I'm not bitter about anything that's happened," said Pettway. "I guess maybe I was cheated a little, but I'm also taking a lot from (ASU) when I leave. I've had a lot of good times here. The people have always been great to me. It's the least I can do to try and help out my teammates. It hurts me that I can't physically help my teammates, but I just have to do what I can with what I've got."

To add insult to injury, Pettway was forced to sit through a come-from-behind win by the Hornets -- the second game after his injury -- over rival Alabama AM.

Pettway sat at the end of the bench with a smile on his face.

"It was tough to watch and not be able to get out there," he admitted. "But what can I do about it. This is the situation I'm in. I just have to make the best of it."

Back