PENTECOSTAL

JagBR

I have a co-worker who is Penecostal. She does not wear pants, make-up, cut her hair, or wear short clothing. Are there other Denominations like that?

Years, years ago the Church of Christ was the same. But, have changed over the years.

I really wish, folks would read and understand the bible. If they did then they would understand, the message from Paul was about culture not doctrine.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I co-sign that to Dr.H but there is not harm in doing what they are doing. As long as the understand what they are doing.

Dr H.. said:
Years, years ago the Church of Christ was the same. But, have changed over the years.

I really wish, folks would read and understand the bible. If they did then they would understand, the message from Paul was about culture not doctrine.

That's another reason to read, study, and know the Word for yourself.

Dr H.. said:

Same with Church of God in Christ.
I grew up in a pentecostal church, where pants, heavy make up, etc. were frowned upon. And though many of us have changed today, we still have people who still believe in the old way.

KB

Yes, brother those sisters use to wear those big hats and long dresses. One sister told me her mom, would make them wear those extra thick cotton stockings, like the old lady on the Waltons wear. A

There is two young sister that work in the same building. They wear pill box hats, cotton stockings, black pumps and dresses stopping at the top of their shoes and no makeup. The sad part is they are very attractive and when some of the men try to talk to them, they respond with a hello "end of conversation"

JagBR said:
I have a co-worker who is Penecostal. She does not wear pants, make-up, cut her hair, or wear short clothing. Are there other Denominations like that?

Pentecostal is not a denomenation. It is a belief system relative to how the scriptures are interpreted. Those forms of modesty have been prominent among Pentecostals in Black America but are much more widely practiced in Baptist and Anabaptist circles across the US and worldwide.

dac

Not in the Baptist Church I was raised in [except for the older females] Those young women, use to wear mini-skirts and such like. [2006] On Sunday mornings, I see young women, dressing as if they just left the club. It's like some of the females lack home training. On the other hand I can understand why they dress like just left the Juke Joint, their mothers dress the same way.

I respect their belief, but they'd have called me a harlot for not wearing them long dresses and hats.

At the same time I was (as a teenager) a part of a church that did not allow makeup, cutting women's hair, or eating "unclean" meat. :cry:

J4J said:
I respect their belief, but they'd have called me a harlot for not wearing them long dresses and hats.

At the same time I was (as a teenager) a part of a church that did not allow makeup, cutting women's hair, or eating "unclean" meat. :cry:

Ms.J,
I've heard of the other stuff, but what was on the unclean meat list ? That's interesting. :eek:

Yeah, intreasting "unclean" meat, now that's going beyond the scriptures. Normally, it's meat that was offered to idols, during the beginning of the church age - Acts 10:9-17.

Peter did not understand the vision.The purpose of the vision was for God to show Peter that Gentiles were not unclean. Peter and the Jews considered Gentiles as unclean as they did the unclean animals.

In the OT see "Ceremonially Unclean" Leviticus 11:4-31, Deuteronomy 14:4-21.

Sho, hope the "unclean" meat did not include BBQ.

Dr H.. said:
Yeah, intreasting "unclean" meat, now that's going beyond the scriptures. Normally, it's meat that was offered to idols, during the beginning of the church age - Acts 10:9-17.
In the OT see "Ceremonially Unclean" Leviticus 11:4-31, Deuteronomy 14:4-21.

Sho, hope the "unclean" meat did not include BBQ.

The sauce is clean. It is what you are puttin' the sauce on that raises a concern.

Pork, catfish, shellfish, rodents, bugs, scavenging birds, etc...all of the stuff that eats garbage. Pretty simple.

Springs said:
Ms.J,
I've heard of the other stuff, but what was on the unclean meat list ? That's interesting. :eek:

Thanks for asking me.

At the church that I attended at that time, the "unclean meat" included the following:

1. pork (It does not chew its cudd and has the same type hoof as a cow)
2. scavengers of the sea: Shrimp, crabs, crawfish, lobsters, catfish, clams, etc. It had to have FINS AND SCALES...Catfish does not have scales.

So you know growing up in SOUTH Louisiana, we had a problem. I grew up on gumbo and smoke sausage (contained pork), shrimp...etc. I grew up on crawfish and crabs and backyard bbqs always had some pork in it.

I believe the scripture they used was in Leviticus. I'd have to do a search to be sure.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
dacontinent said:
The sauce is clean. It is what you are puttin' the sauce on that raises a concern.

Pork, catfish, shellfish, rodents, bugs, scavenging birds, etc...all of the stuff that eats garbage. Pretty simple.

Let me get you the scripture. We also kept the Sabbath on the 7th day. NOPE, we were not Seven Day Adventist.

Leviticus 11:3-8

3 You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.
4 " 'There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The coney, [a] though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Footnotes:

Leviticus 11:5 That is, the hyrax or rock badger

the one about fish

New International Version (NIV)
Leviticus 11:9-12

9 " 'Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales?whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water?you are to detest. 11 And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest their carcasses. 12 Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you.

Some people believe that the rules and regulations contained in the OLD Testament were for the people of that time & not today, because in the New Testament Jesus said he came to fulfill the law, and that anyone practicing some Old Testament Laws while neglecting others are completely mixed up.

Still others believe that those Old Testament Laws were certainly for those specific people because Genesis 9: 3-4 says Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. "But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.
& they believe this was for the world at large.

And Lastly some Bible translations says that At the end of Mark 7:19 "HE declared all foods clean. & that Yeshua ("Jesus") changed the old food regulations in Leviticus 11,

A lot of that was forbidden was related to Ceremonial Laws as in Animal Sacrifices to God.

99.9% of the animals and seafood we eat [today] is unclean, because of the pollution in the water. I am sure, no one is going to hell for eating shrimp or catfish.

Dr H.. said:
A lot of that was forbidden was related to Ceremonial Laws as in Animal Sacrifices to God.

99.9% of the animals and seafood we eat [today] is unclean, because of the pollution in the water. I am sure, no one is going to hell for eating shrimp or catfish.

You are correct. The uncleanness mentioned in the text has to do with the nature of the animals themselves - not merely the environments that they live in.

No, no one is going to hell for eating those things. HOWEVER, science has proven God right once again as the consumption of the same will shorten one's life expectancy. You'll just get to heaven faster.

Dr. H and dacontinent: I left that church when I was old enough to choose for myself. Several years later that church went through drastic changes due to the head minister finding new revelations through God stating the same things that Tony did "Everything was good" and "worry not about what goes into the body, but about that which is expelled"....That church changed to show that no one had to eat those things they once believed were unclean but that it a legalistic view of life...etc. Many people left that church because they did not want to except change. Some brokeoff and started their own factions to KEEP the old law as stated.

I'm glad I got out when I was old enough to speak for myself.

Many people left that church because they did not want to except change. Some brokeoff and started their own factions to KEEP the old law as stated.

This is clearly a state of [for the lack of a better word] "ignorance" [IF] they had read the bible, they would have known that the "Unclean" food was related to the Jewish Ceremonial Law" and "Christians" was never commanded to keep the Jewish Ceremonial Laws. In fact "Christ" done away with the Ceremonial Laws. If they are keeping the Old Law, then they are already "Spiritual Lost" and if they continue more than likely, will not be saved. Why! Because of the cross and Christ, they are saying "Christ, what your DB and R, is not enough to save me, therefore, I must maintain the OT form or worship.

There is no way on "Gods Earth" they can worship under the Old Law. Where are their sacrifices, do they travel more than a certain number of miles on the Sabbath, do any work on the Sabbath -

I could totally tear down the OT form of worship, by going to the book of Hebrews.

HOWEVER, science has proven God right once again as the consumption of the same will shorten one's life expectancy.

Anything in excess will shorten your life.

For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. 1 Timothy

Back