PELOSI defeats Ford

S

Sonic98

PELOSI is the new House minority leader. I guess Ford is just too young, but I still think he is the future of the party.

Jr. Ford, is up and coming it's just a matter of time before he is elected GOV of TN. You heard it here first.

Originally posted by EB
I am glad that Pelosi won over Harold, Jr.

Why exactly. She is more of the same. They need new blood and ideas to take Congress and the Presidency back anytime this decade.

Originally posted by EB
I am glad that Pelosi won over Harold, Jr.

I do not understand your elation to her being elected. Ultimately, I think that things will get worse for the Democratic party with her and her "San Fransico" Liberal Ideals at the helm.

One could say that I would be happy by the Dem's decision since I am a Republican and it would ultimately sway more conservative Democrats "our" way. But I am a Black Man before I am anything else and I always want to promote any venue that has US at it's forefront.

I just find it amazing that a lot of Democrats criticize Colin Powell, Condalezza Rice and Rod Paige for being in the forefront for the Republican Party but yet applaud the Democratic Party for selecting someone else over one of US.

People always want to make the argument that the Democratic pary is ultimately the best party for us, but they constantly prove otherwise when given the opportunity to do so.

And people still have the unmitigated gall to question me as to why I am a Republican.

:( :( :(

I just knew that someone would respond to my comment. :D

BTW Harold Ford, Jr. is rumored to be considering a run for the senate in 2006.

Yes, I want to see more Black folks in power. On this board I have said that I felt that a multi-lateralist Colin Powell should stay part of the administration that acts so unilateralist. More than once I have said that I respect Colin Powell.

Being in Atlanta for so many years, I have seen Black politicians forget their Black constituents. I have seen others serve their constituents very well. So it does not always impress anymore or cheer me up when a Black person gets a high position. Black politicians have to deliver like everyone else. If they do not deliver, then they need to go.

As for Harold, Jr., he is articulate and intelligent. But he states the same ideas that many defeated moderate democrats stated before this past election. When it comes to education funding, environmental protection and grassroots campaigning, I do not hear much from Harold, Jr. By coming from a majority Black district, I wonder how hard does Harold, Jr. speak on issues that are important to us. Maybe he is saying something. Is Junior a moderate because his views are moderate? Or is he a moderate in an effort just to get votes?

Junior talks about taking the dems to the center. But he forgets one important thing. The moderate democrats in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri and Texas lost on election night. THEY LOST HAROLD! The problem with the democrats this past campaign season is that they did not campaign on their issues. While I can't stand Strom Thurmond nor Jesse Helms, I have some respect for them. Why? It is because they stick to their issues. It is a lesson that the dems sorely need to learn quickly. Jesse Helms said during a campaign that he would rather lose with his crowd than win with someone else's. Or let me say it another way. If I were a republican, I would not vote for a fake republican or a republicrat, a democrat acting like a republican, when I could vote for a real one.

As for leadership position, James Clyburn, former head of the CBC and a grad of S.C. State, of South Carolina will be the new Vice Chair of the Democratic Caucus. I like this move. If the Democratic National Committee makes a change in their chairmanship, I would like to see Maynard Jackson, the former and first Black mayor of Atlanta, to replace Terry McAuliffe. Some would say that the change is needed. As for young people, look out for Congressman-Elect Kendrick Meek of Florida. He will be replacing his mother, Carrie Meek. Both are grads of FAMU.

So let me put it like this. I do not just want any Black person in a high position. I want one who will fight for us and others who need help.

Originally posted by EB
I want one who will fight for us and others who need help.

I just don't see how Pelosi can help anyone but ultra liberals. Her stances on same sex marriages and other homosexual tangets scare a lot of black and white democrats.

With the President's popularity, her stances on Homeland Security and anti-defense really scare a lot of moderates. So you can only image what the Republicans think of her agendas. With Harold Ford, I think a lot of arguments on both sides would have been silenced.

As I have said before, I fear the far left way more than I do the far right. With the far right, there is at least a point where they will stop. With the far left, there is always a lowest common denominator to adhere to. I just see the Democratic party with her at the helm moving towards the ultra-left.

Just my .02 cents !!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Well MB, you have more faith in people like Rep. Tom Delay of Sugarland, TX than I do.

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock

I do not understand your elation to her being elected. Ultimately, I think that things will get worse for the Democratic party with her and her "San Fransico" Liberal Ideals at the helm.

One could say that I would be happy by the Dem's decision since I am a Republican and it would ultimately sway more conservative Democrats "our" way. But I am a Black Man before I am anything else and I always want to promote any venue that has US at it's forefront.

I just find it amazing that a lot of Democrats criticize Colin Powell, Condalezza Rice and Rod Paige for being in the forefront for the Republican Party but yet applaud the Democratic Party for selecting someone else over one of US.

People always want to make the argument that the Democratic pary is ultimately the best party for us, but they constantly prove otherwise when given the opportunity to do so.

And people still have the unmitigated gall to question me as to why I am a Republican.

I do think it is the best party for us, but we still dont run it. They did not pick her causeof race, though we might have picked him because of it. And a party must appear united even if some disagree. Your party picks blacks for the image of reaching out.

by the way.....what the deal wit the pic.

Originally posted by EB
I just knew that someone would respond to my comment. :D

BTW Harold Ford, Jr. is rumored to be considering a run for the senate in 2006.

Yes, I want to see more Black folks in power. On this board I have said that I felt that a multi-lateralist Colin Powell should stay part of the administration that acts so unilateralist. More than once I have said that I respect Colin Powell.

Being in Atlanta for so many years, I have seen Black politicians forget their Black constituents. I have seen others serve their constituents very well. So it does not always impress anymore or cheer me up when a Black person gets a high position. Black politicians have to deliver like everyone else. If they do not deliver, then they need to go.

As for Harold, Jr., he is articulate and intelligent. But he states the same ideas that many defeated moderate democrats stated before this past election. When it comes to education funding, environmental protection and grassroots campaigning, I do not hear much from Harold, Jr. By coming from a majority Black district, I wonder how hard does Harold, Jr. speak on issues that are important to us. Maybe he is saying something. Is Junior a moderate because his views are moderate? Or is he a moderate in an effort just to get votes?

Junior talks about taking the dems to the center. But he forgets one important thing. The moderate democrats in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri and Texas lost on election night. THEY LOST HAROLD! The problem with the democrats this past campaign season is that they did not campaign on their issues. While I can't stand Strom Thurmond nor Jesse Helms, I have some respect for them. Why? It is because they stick to their issues. It is a lesson that the dems sorely need to learn quickly. Jesse Helms said during a campaign that he would rather lose with his crowd than win with someone else's. Or let me say it another way. If I were a republican, I would not vote for a fake republican or a republicrat, a democrat acting like a republican, when I could vote for a real one.

As for leadership position, James Clyburn, former head of the CBC and a grad of S.C. State, of South Carolina will be the new Vice Chair of the Democratic Caucus. I like this move. If the Democratic National Committee makes a change in their chairmanship, I would like to see Maynard Jackson, the former and first Black mayor of Atlanta, to replace Terry McAuliffe. Some would say that the change is needed. As for young people, look out for Congressman-Elect Kendrick Meek of Florida. He will be replacing his mother, Carrie Meek. Both are grads of FAMU.

So let me put it like this. I do not just want any Black person in a high position. I want one who will fight for us and others who need help.
they did lose because of being moderate, but for not knowing when to be a lil less appeasing and moderate

Originally posted by Sonic98
Your party picks blacks for the image of reaching out.

Ummm, lets see why would a presidental candidate appoint 3 African Americans to the highest positions in U.S. history to "reach out" to 11 % of the population that only votes 25% on a regular basis, and when it does vote, that 3% votes 92% Democratic. :confused:

Uhhhh, no....

That's not why they were appointed. They were appointed because they were the best, brightest and they have all been in the party for years and were in the innerworkings during the Reagan era.

In other words, if you put your time and effort in, the Republican party rewards you. Whereas, Pres. Clinton showed his appreciation for that 92% of diehard voters by firing Jocelyn Elders.

And my party has proven time and time again that they can win without Black votes, yours can't, but look how they take Black votes for granted. If that is not an indicator of US needing to diversify our voting power, I don't know what is.

Originally posted by EB

As for young leadership, look out for Congressman-Elect Kendrick Meek of Florida. He will be replacing his mother, Carrie Meek. Both are grads of FAMU.

Congressman Meeks represents my district and because of his good record and public works, he ran unopposed. I think he will do well.

Ummm, lets see why would a presidental candidate appoint 3 African Americans to the highest positions in U.S. history to "reach out" to 11 % of the population that only votes 25% on a regular basis, and when it does vote, that 3% votes 92% Democratic. :confused:

Uhhhh, no....

That's not why they were appointed. They were appointed because they were the best, brightest and they have all been in the party for years and were in the innerworkings during the Reagan era.

In other words, if you put your time and effort in, the Republican party rewards you. Whereas, Pres. Clinton showed his appreciation for that 92% of diehard voters by firing Jocelyn Elders.

And my party has proven time and time again that they can win without Black votes, yours can't, but look how they take Black votes for granted. If that is not an indicator of US needing to diversify our voting power, I don't know what is.

Ofcourse you can win without black votes when you appeal, to the selfish white majority, and the few blacks they've been able to convice to jump to the other side. But things are changing in many states because the white vote is not as big a majority as it used to be.

Originally posted by Miami Jag

Congressman Meeks represents my district and because of his good record and public works, he ran unopposed. I think he will do well.

I do not know much about Meeks. But from what I have seen, I prefer him to Harold Ford, Jr.

Back