Parade for Champions is set to Roll

cat daddy

Link

Victory party

Tiger, Jaguar fans celebrate together with downtown ticker-tape parade

By LISA TRAMONTANA
ltramontana@theadvocate.com
Newsfeatures staff writer

The Tigers and Jaguars have left their paw prints on the national football landscape with championship titles for both teams. This weekend, fans will have a rip-roaring time when they come out to honor LSU and Southern University with a special ticker-tape parade downtown on Saturday, Jan. 24, at noon.
The 30-unit "Parade of Champions" will start at the corner of Spanish Town and Fourth Street, then proceed down Fourth to North Boulevard, then down Third Street back to the State Capitol. A ceremony will then be held on the steps of the State Capitol with comments from players, coaches, Mayor Bobby Simpson, university chancellors and other dignitaries.

Parade-watchers will receive a special treat when for the first time, the marching bands from the two schools perform together. Cheerleaders and mascots will also be on hand.

"It's a dream come true for the many Southern and LSU fans in our city," said Simpson. "This may be the first time in history that a city has been home to two national champions, and this parade is an opportunity for fans to show their appreciation."

The LSU Tigers were named Bowl Championship Series national champions after their win over the University of Oklahoma in the 2004 Nokia Sugar Bowl Jan. 4. Southern won the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game with its win over Alabama State in December, and in the Sheridan Broadcasting Network and American Sports Wire polls, was voted 2003 Black College National Champion.

It wasn't easy to arrange such an event, but Simpson, who proposed the idea in December, pushed it through. In one day, he personally visited both school chancellors to bring them on board and established an organizing committee. His work has paid off.

'Not only have both schools showed character on the field, but off the field as well," he said. "These are young men of integrity, men who have represented our city so well. This will be truly exciting for them and for all the fans."

Free shuttle buses will pick up from both campuses from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (Tiger Stadium near gate 10 at LSU and the F.G. Clark Activities Center at Southern). Drop-off for both shuttles will be at the Galvez Garage downtown. After the parade, shuttles will run back to LSU from 1:30 -6 p.m. and to Southern from 1:30-3 p.m.

Both schools will host celebrations on their campuses directly after the parade.

LSU's celebration will be held at 3:30 p.m. in Tiger Stadium, and will include video highlights of the football season, an introduction of the players and coaches and a trophy presentation. According to Herb Vincent, associate athletic director, a "Celebration Central" event in the West Stadium parking lot will feature live entertainment, face painting, concessions and more. Parking is first-come, first-served, he said, and tailgating is encouraged beginning tonight (Friday, Jan. 23).

Southern's celebration will take place in the A.W. Mumford Stadium at 3 p.m., according to SU Sports Information Director Kevin Manns. A highlight of the event will be the presentation of the SWAC trophy to the Jaguars. Tailgating at Southern is also encouraged, Manns said, and RVs should park in Lot A at the stadium's north end beginning at 5 p.m. today.

Visitors to the downtown parade will find free parking in the state's LaSalle, Galvez and Claiborne parking garages 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Free parking is also available at all downtown parking meters. Due to a stage production at the Centroplex on Saturday morning, parade-goers are advised to enter the downtown area using Florida, Laurel, Convention and North Streets.

Also, the Main Street Market, at Fifth and Main Streets, will open at 8 a.m. for pre-parade events, including an appearance by Chef John Folse at 11 a.m. Several other downtown businesses will also be open. For details, call Dennis McCain at 225-389-3121 or visit the Web site at http://www.brgov.com/dept/ddd/paradechampions.htm.

So sorry I won't be able to make it home for it this big w/e...but big ups to MY Mighty, Fighting JAGS of Southern University and the Tigers of LSU!!!

Baton Rouge will be jumpin', jumpin' on tomorrow.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Oh my! This should be interesting...

Parade-watchers will receive a special treat when for the first time, the marching bands from the two schools perform together. Cheerleaders and mascots will also be on hand.

Congratulations to Southern, the true Black College National Champs.

Now I'm sorry to rain on Baton Rouge's parade but the true I-A champions reside in Los Angeles.

Congratulations USC Trojans ! ! !

Originally posted by Deuce
Congratulations to Southern, the true Black College National Champs.

Now I'm sorry to rain on Baton Rouge's parade but the true I-A champions reside in Los Angeles.

Congratulations USC Trojans ! ! !

The crystal egg is in Baton Rouge, not L.A.

Parade of Champions(SU & LSU)

Did anyone go or see it on tv? I thought the coverage was great for a parade. It was truly an amazing event. It seemed to close this kind of imaginary gap for me, between the two schools. Everything seemed to be completely wonderful. I didn't make it out today because I'm rather sick but it was very exciting from the tv. There was a bond made today that will live forever. The Jukebox and Tiger band were great especially on the steps of the State Capitol.(Jukebox got'em by a mile & didn't even play that much) but anyway, I just wish I could have at least made it over to Mumford for the festivities or whatever is going down but unfortunately not so will someone please provide me w/ that info. What were your thoughts about the *Parade Of Champions*?

I also watched the parade on the tube. The organizers did an excellent job of putting the parade together. Seems like everything went off without a hitch.

Southern University's arrangement of the National Anthem was truly evident as the two bands played together. I mostly watched the coverage on Channel 9. The sportscaster Jacque Doucet, was scoping out the Dancing Dolls, and said that they looked like "5 Beyonce Knowles".:D

It was nice to see the Southern and LSU players mingling and congratulating one another before the ceremony got started. It was also nice to see LSU and SU fans cheering for both schools.

It was a GREAT day for Baton Rouge. It kind of changes my perspective of the relationship between the two schools.

I agree JAGWAR!! It was indeed a great day in Baton Rouge. I taped the entire coverage. Even the rain at Mumford didn't spoil the wonderful atmosphere. The Jaguar Nation was out in full force at the parade and the presentation on the Capitol steps and in Mumford Stadium.

I saw so many LSU folk with Tiger shirts on and SU hats on!!! Jagfans were wearing LSU beads and carrying LSU posters! Both school's fans cheered heartily and happily for the other one.

As Chancellor Jackson said,

HOW 'BOUT DEM JAGS, HOW 'BOUT DEM TIGERS!

All I can say is LET'S DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR! :tup:

Proud to be a Jaguar, a Baton Rougean, a Louisianian!!!

HEY LA BA!

:emlaugh: What a joke. Outside the South USC are the Champs. LSU may have the Egg but USC has the repect of the Country. And bout SU:lmao: They didn't play nobody. See what smoke and Mirrors can do. RTD huh?

Remember this TAG (The Age of Grambling). We'll be back......

lol this is funny............ SU only got to be the Champs because Grambling lost to San Jose and McNeese.

Congratulations on ya'lls parade.....To bad it rained:jump:

on another note LSU played well, they need to trade their uniforms for Saints uniforms. Then the Saints would be able to make their 1st appearance. If that happends I think everyone in Louisiana would take that week off.:D

Originally posted by BayouBandit03
:emlaugh: What a joke. Outside the South USC are the Champs. LSU may have the Egg but USC has the repect of the Country. And bout SU:lmao: They didn't play nobody. See what smoke and Mirrors can do. RTD huh?

Remember this TAG (The Age of Grambling). We'll be back......

lol this is funny............ SU only got to be the Champs because Grambling lost to San Jose and McNeese.

Congratulations on ya'lls parade.....To bad it rained:jump:

on another note LSU played well, they need to trade their uniforms for Saints uniforms. Then the Saints would be able to make their 1st appearance. If that happends I think everyone in Louisiana would take that week off.:D

USC has the respect of the country??? Says who the associated press?? And u said that the only reason we were Champs was because ya'll loss to San Jose and McNeese but last time I checked neither one of them are in the SWAC.:rolleyes: Ya'll ain't the Champs because we stomped ya'll in the Classic like we've been doing for 11 years now..........And by the way it rained AFTER the parade. I'm proud to have partcipated in such a historic event. The crowd was unreal. To bad all gspoo can afford is a parade around the woods in Ruston if they did that much. :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Congrats to both teams. They won the games on the field. I can understand USC claiming a split title, but I recognize LSU as the national champs. However, there can be no doubt about the Black National Champs. SU had the best overall record and finished the season wth but one loss.

I didn't make the parade but I heard it was a great success. It was good that this parade was held for so many reason. I'm sure it created some goodwill among the citizens...some of it will continue and grow (hopefully).

I'm not surprised that the athletes interacted well. A lot of these guys hang out and beyond that , any true athlete respects another athlete. Too bad some of the LSU players missed it due to the Senior Bowl. That was a great sendoff for the seniors and departing players from both schools.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MikeBigg
Congrats to both teams. They won the games on the field. I can understand USC claiming a split title, but I recognize LSU as the national champs. However, there can be no doubt about the Black National Champs. SU had the best overall record and finished the season wth but one loss.

I didn't make the parade but I heard it was a great success. It was good that this parade was held for so many reason. I'm sure it created some goodwill among the citizens...some of it will continue and grow (hopefully).

I'm not surprised that the athletes interacted well. A lot of these guys hang out and beyond that , any true athlete respects another athlete. Too bad some of the LSU players missed it due to the Senior Bowl. That was a great sendoff for the seniors and departing players from both schools.

Mike u are a true sportsman. :tup:

<center>
7721_256.jpg

Advocate staff photo by Arthur D. Lauck
Southern players, from left, Don Expose, Donnie Skinner and Gabriel LaFrance yell and cheer as they ride on a fire truck Saturday down Fourth Street in the ?Parade of Champions.? </center>

Southern savors moment

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Pete Richardson has won four black college national titles at Southern, but nothing could compare to this latest one, at least in terms of celebration.
As he and wife, Lillian, rode in the back of a sleek chartreuse Saab convertible with its top down, Richardson beamed, waving to a stacked, enthusiastic crowd lining each side of the street. Behind him rolled firetrucks full of his players and LSU's as Baton Rouge celebrated Southern's title and LSU's Bowl Championship Series national championship.

"It was special to see that many people show up," said Richardson, who after 11 seasons at the school said he was amazed at how a sea of RVs tailgated on campus Saturday and how the crowd stacked deep through the entire length of the parade route.

"You see that following, and it's special to be sitting in that car and see so many people waving for both programs, both black and white."

Right guard Chad Green savored every moment.

Green graduated in May to get back a year of eligibility, helping the Jaguars (12-1) to their first Southwestern Athletic Conference title since 1999 and first black college national title since '97. Saturday, he donned a yellow fireman's helmet and took a prime seat on the ladder overhanging the cab on a hook-and-ladder truck.

"It was probably one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had," said Green. "I was so happy to be in a parade like this. It felt good. LSU and Southern came together. We had fun. It was a great experience. Once in a lifetime."

Quarterback Quincy Richard, the SWAC and black college offensive player of the year, is used to such LSU-Southern closeness on a daily basis. He shares an apartment with LSU wide receiver Devery Henderson, also an Opelousas High alum.

"It was nice to have Southern fans, LSU fans, everybody just happy to be out and proud of both teams," said Richard, who, like Green, also graduated in the summer. Richard rode in the cab of another fire truck with wide receiver Chris Davis and quarterback Thomas Ricks.

While bad weather held off for the downtown festivities, the post-parade celebration at A.W. Mumford Stadium wasn't as fortunate in the afternoon.

An intimate gathering of fans withstood light rain in Mumford Stadium to watch a presentation of the team's SWAC championship trophy. While fans huddled under umbrellas, so did the dignitaries and players at midfield.

The rain didn't start coming strong until just as Southern spokesman Kevin Manns got to the podium.

Chancellor Edward Jackson compared the fans at Mumford to the U.S. Marines.

"You're a small unit, but you're mighty tough," Jackson said.

At one point, Jackson had to step forward to help rescue the flopped-over umbrella of Southern Board of Supervisors Chairman Sam Gilliam.

Richardson took advantage of the moment to salute the Southern fans, known as the Jaguar Nation for their almost-legendary traveling.

"I take my hat off to you. We don't have away games," Richardson told them.

The almost storybook season for Southern followed three straight seasons that played out as struggles. But the Jaguars steamrolled their way through the early part of the season and then hung on to win three straight thrillers.

"This was a great way to go out," Richard said.

The turnout and the camaraderie of fans and players from both schools touched Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr.

"It's been an incredible story," Kerr said. "That was moving."

<center>
7720_256.jpg

Advocate staff photo by Kerry Maloney
LSU?s Bennie Brazell, left, and Southern?s Chad Green wave to the crowd from the State Capitol steps Saturday after the Parade of Champions. Both players are from Westbury High School in Houston.
</center>

BR celebrates titles by Tigers, Jaguars

By AMY WOLD
awold@theadvocate.com
Advocate staff writer

Advocate staff photo by Kerry Maloney
LSU?s Bennie Brazell, left, and Southern?s Chad Green wave to the crowd from the State Capitol steps Saturday after the Parade of Champions. Both players are from Westbury High School in Houston.
Before the Parade of Champions downtown Saturday, spontaneous cheers of L-S-U or S-U rose up from bystanders.
But when the parade rolled by, school pride gave way to community pride as fans cheered equally for each national championship team.

"This is a special, special event and I think it's wonderful that LSU and Southern got together," said Beverly Campbell, 44, of Baton Rouge. A 1981 graduate of Southern University, Campbell said she went to every home and away game this year to support the team.

"We always go. We're die-hards," Campbell said, indicating her family around her waiting for the parade to start. Although she wore Southern colors, Campbell said they came out to show their support for both football teams.

Officials from the city and universities are celebrating LSU's victory over Oklahoma 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl to win the national Bowl Championship Series. Southern beat Alabama State 20-9 to win the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship, making the Jaguars the top historically black school in the country.

Mayor Bobby Simpson said the parade crowd was between 70,000 and 100,000, which he called the biggest in Baton Rouge history.

Parade watchers had a good view of their football heroes, who wore their team jerseys and were perched atop firetrucks.

Odis Sanders, 71, waited for the parade with his family on Third Street, some of whom flew in from Dallas just for the parade.

"We came to watch the two champions. For so long, we've been waiting for this to happen for both of them," Sanders said.

Sanders' son-in-law Jon Campbell, 45, of Dallas, said although he graduated from Baylor University, he became a Tiger fan by default after marrying Sanders' daughter -- a graduate of LSU.

On North Street, a group of friends and family barbecued outside an recreational vehicle while waiting for the parade.

"This is a nice thing to help the city and bring the city together," said Mack Palmer, 44, of Baton Rouge. "Everybody's out here, all races, just enjoying the moment together."

He said it's great to be able to celebrate a year of champions.

"We know we're not going to get it from the Saints, so we need to cherish the moments," Palmer said laughing.

Everyone gathered around the RV said they were fans of Southern and two of them -- Montral and Michelle Palmer actually got married while attending an SU away game this year in Las Vegas.

All along the streets, people showed their pride by wearing school colors, championship shirts, football jerseys and flying school flags. One couple couldn't help but attract attention with their two standard poodles that had "Tigers" and "LSU" shaved into their fur.

As Nancy and Tom Hazlett of Baton Rouge walked their dogs, Rudy and Ben, they were stopped every few steps by children and adults wanting a picture.

On another corner, Susan Merrick and Ferol Rome of Plaquemine and Jackie Fell of New Orleans said they went Saturday to show their support for LSU. The fact that it was a parade didn't hurt either, they said.

"We're parade-goers from New Orleans, so we don't miss a parade," Fell said.

The parade led people back to the Capitol where the school bands, teams, coaches, elected officials and university administration congratulated both teams and thanked the fans.

"They're not having a celebration like this in Southern California," LSU Chancellor Mark Emmert said to cheers from the crowd.

Southern's football coach Pete Richardson agreed.

"I don't think this could happen anywhere else in this nation," Richardson said. "I didn't think we could get this many people in one place in Baton Rouge."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

<center>
7702_256.jpg
</center>

Originally posted by BgJag
<center>
7721_256.jpg

Advocate staff photo by Arthur D. Lauck
Southern players, from left, Don Expose, Donnie Skinner and Gabriel LaFrance yell and cheer as they ride on a fire truck Saturday down Fourth Street in the ?Parade of Champions.? </center>

Southern savors moment

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Pete Richardson has won four black college national titles at Southern, but nothing could compare to this latest one, at least in terms of celebration.
As he and wife, Lillian, rode in the back of a sleek chartreuse Saab convertible with its top down, Richardson beamed, waving to a stacked, enthusiastic crowd lining each side of the street. Behind him rolled firetrucks full of his players and LSU's as Baton Rouge celebrated Southern's title and LSU's Bowl Championship Series national championship.

"It was special to see that many people show up," said Richardson, who after 11 seasons at the school said he was amazed at how a sea of RVs tailgated on campus Saturday and how the crowd stacked deep through the entire length of the parade route.

"You see that following, and it's special to be sitting in that car and see so many people waving for both programs, both black and white."

Right guard Chad Green savored every moment.

Green graduated in May to get back a year of eligibility, helping the Jaguars (12-1) to their first Southwestern Athletic Conference title since 1999 and first black college national title since '97. Saturday, he donned a yellow fireman's helmet and took a prime seat on the ladder overhanging the cab on a hook-and-ladder truck.

"It was probably one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had," said Green. "I was so happy to be in a parade like this. It felt good. LSU and Southern came together. We had fun. It was a great experience. Once in a lifetime."

Quarterback Quincy Richard, the SWAC and black college offensive player of the year, is used to such LSU-Southern closeness on a daily basis. He shares an apartment with LSU wide receiver Devery Henderson, also an Opelousas High alum.

"It was nice to have Southern fans, LSU fans, everybody just happy to be out and proud of both teams," said Richard, who, like Green, also graduated in the summer. Richard rode in the cab of another fire truck with wide receiver Chris Davis and quarterback Thomas Ricks.

While bad weather held off for the downtown festivities, the post-parade celebration at A.W. Mumford Stadium wasn't as fortunate in the afternoon.

An intimate gathering of fans withstood light rain in Mumford Stadium to watch a presentation of the team's SWAC championship trophy. While fans huddled under umbrellas, so did the dignitaries and players at midfield.

The rain didn't start coming strong until just as Southern spokesman Kevin Manns got to the podium.

Chancellor Edward Jackson compared the fans at Mumford to the U.S. Marines.

"You're a small unit, but you're mighty tough," Jackson said.

At one point, Jackson had to step forward to help rescue the flopped-over umbrella of Southern Board of Supervisors Chairman Sam Gilliam.

Richardson took advantage of the moment to salute the Southern fans, known as the Jaguar Nation for their almost-legendary traveling.

"I take my hat off to you. We don't have away games," Richardson told them.

The almost storybook season for Southern followed three straight seasons that played out as struggles. But the Jaguars steamrolled their way through the early part of the season and then hung on to win three straight thrillers.

"This was a great way to go out," Richard said.

The turnout and the camaraderie of fans and players from both schools touched Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr.

"It's been an incredible story," Kerr said. "That was moving."

Nice article, but the caption is wrong. The players I can identify, from left, are Gerald Holmes, Quincy Richard, Kurvis Sharp, and Chris Davis.

Oh by the way....fugg LSU.....

Originally posted by PNeck019
Nice article, but the caption is wrong. The players I can identify, from left, are Gerald Holmes, Quincy Richard, Kurvis Sharp, and Chris Davis.

Oh by the way....fugg LSU.....

:shame: on you PNeck! They thought you were there for the Tigers huh? :lol::lol::lol:

7721_256.jpg

Were these your home unis this year??? Them joints are nice.

Anyway, good to hear the parade/celebration was a success.

Originally posted by Robber
7721_256.jpg

Were these your home unis this year??? Them joints are nice.

Anyway, good to hear the parade/celebration was a success.

Now that I look at it, I believe that's my man Thomas Ricks between Holmes and Richard.

Robber,

They dressed in those for one game, but after pregame changed into the older ones. The players said they were too long, and they were, in some cases down to the shorter players' knees.

They sent them back but didn't get them back in until after the Lincoln game (the last dark jersey game).

Incidentally, Pete did no experimenting with the uni combos this year. For all seven blue jersey games, we wore gold pants and for all six white jersey games we wore white pants (new white pants for the BC and SCG).

I am so glad that I was able to attend this event. I have never seen any two schools as much love as SU and LSU showed each other yesterday. I think that these two schools have more respect for each other now. It is just amazing how everyone came together as one big family, which is the way it should be. Another thing that impressed me was when the bands played the national anthem together which was loud as ****. The city of Baton Rouge was truly the best place to be this weekend.

Back