OU's Dusty Dvoracek given Medical Redshirt

JBlink

:shame: The only medical problem that Dvoracek had was alcoholism. I don't think he should be totally condemned because of it, but I don't think he should be given another year of college football. Once Stoops kicked him off the team that should have been it.

USA Today
NCAA grants medical hardship waiver for Oklahoma's Dvoracek
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) ? The NCAA on Tuesday notified Oklahoma that it had granted a medical hardship waiver to allow defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek to play a fifth season with the Sooners.

Dvoracek, a third-team All-American last season, was kicked off the team in September after he was involved in a fight at a Norman bar in which one of his high-school friends was injured.

Oklahoma last week applied for a medical hardship on Dvoracek's behalf, but it was denied by the Big 12 Conference. Upon appeal, the NCAA's reinstatement staff granted the waiver Monday.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops wouldn't say when Dvoracek would be reinstated to the team.

"We will not visit this situation until we're back in school for the second semester," Stoops said in a statement Tuesday.

To qualify for a medical hardship, a student-athlete must be unable to compete because of injury or illness for a portion of a season and have documentation from a medical doctor, according to NCAA bylaws.

It is against NCAA policy to discuss the specific illness under which a student-athlete qualifies, said Jennifer Kearns, associate director of public relations with the NCAA.

Since his dismissal from the team, Dvoracek has undergone anger-management and alcohol-related counseling.

Stoops dismissed Dvoracek from the team following a Sept. 12 incident at a Norman bar in which Matt Wilde, one of Dvoracek's high-school teammates, who spent several days in Norman Regional Hospital with a head injury.

Norman police said Wilde, 21, didn't want to pursue criminal charges.

Dvoracek, who was second on the team with seven sacks last season, had three tackles ? including one for a loss ? and one fumble recovery this season.

:lmao: Gooooooooooooooooooot doggit!!!! LMAO!!! This ain't funny but it's FUNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

I tracked that bah (Matt and others) since jr high school and knew he'd be something special (due to his steroi, errrr, lol his desire to stay in the weight room and improve lol).

I can't believe that he and Matt got caught up like that. "L", and he dranks? :shame: Lawd...

Damn. :emlaugh: :bawling: :emlaugh: They'd better not show up @ the gym anytime soon. lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back