Oscar Nominations

SLT

CNN) -- "The Aviator" soared over other films at the Oscar nominations Tuesday, earning 11 nods, including best actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), best director (Martin Scorsese), best supporting actor (Alan Alda), best supporting actress (Cate Blanchett) and best picture.

"Million Dollar Baby," the story of a female boxer, and "Finding Neverland," a biography of "Peter Pan" writer J.M. Barrie, followed with seven nominations each.

Jamie Foxx earned two acting nominations: best actor for "Ray" and best supporting actor for "Collateral."

Besides "The Aviator," the nominees for best picture are "Finding Neverland," "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray" and "Sideways."

The other nominees for best actor are Don Cheadle ("Hotel Rwanda"), Johnny Depp ("Finding Neverland") and Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby").

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/25/oscar.nominations/index.html

*best Dave Chapelle voice*

Who the fugg is Leonardo Dicaprio????? :confused:

Im pulling for Don Cheadle yo.

BandFan said:
*best Dave Chapelle voice*

Who the fugg is Leonardo Dicaprio????? :confused:

Im pulling for Don Cheadle yo.

BF....:slap:

Leonardo was the lead actor in 'Titanic'. :lol:

I'd have to say Jaime's the frontrunner for best actor. That performance in Ray was nearly flawless.

They rarely give out Oscars biographies...I think Leo is going to win.
I think Jamie will get it for Collateral.

FAB5 said:
I'd have to say Jaime's the frontrunner for best actor. That performance in Ray was nearly flawless.
It would be really nice if he pull two Oscars,one for COLLATERAL and one for RAY. For someone who left Texas for L.A. to start a music career and ended up an actor with nominations for two Oscars.

Can someone please help me understand how they pick movies that aren?t necessarily mainstream? It seems like every year these movies always come out of nowhere and unless you live in L.A. or NY or Chicago, you don?t really have a lot of exposure to these movies?hence the phrase ?Showing at select theaters?. It?s hard to get excited about
movies I haven?t seen.

I would love to see Hotel Rwanda and I definitely plan on it, but was it only in limited release? And I heard that Million Dollar Baby is not the kind of movie people think that it is. Apparently, it turns out to be very political and somewhat offensive to some people because of the subject matter??? (I think the religious groups). Not many people wanted to give away the surprise twist and turns that take place in the movie.

I would love to see either of the black actors get the Oscar, but since I?ve only seen Ray, I can?t really be honest about who deserves it more of those three. I?m extremely happy for Jamie with those two nominations and he acted his azz off, for real. But, Don truly deserves some recognition for the type of actor he?s been all these years. Morgan has had some hit or miss roles, but to me he?ll always be Easy Reader from Electric Company? :D

I find it interesting that "The Passion of the Christ" didn't get any nominations. Regardless of your faith, you can't argue that the movie wasn't well done.

As far as Million Dollar Baby goes, I also learned that the plot line goes a lot deeper than people are led to believe watching the trailers. I wish more movie trailers did this. Don't you hate it when the best parts of the movie are in the trailer?

jelli said:
They rarely give out Oscars biographies...I think Leo is going to win.
I think Jamie will get it for Collateral.

Leo is playing Howard Hughes, the eccentric millionaire and airplane aficianado who is the namesake behind Hughes Aircraft, and dated (and financed the careers ) of several Hollywood starlets during the 1940's and 50's.

Your most likely right about how it will pan out. I think the Academy figures Denzel and Halle should hold them for another 40 years. Jamie will most likely get Best Supporting Actor.

Has anyone ever been nominated for best actor and best supporting actor in the same year? Seems to me that it would be a big deal if it were someone like say Tom Hanks, Russel Crowe, etc...

It has only happened one other time in Oscar history, so it really is a pretty big deal.

If you look at the best picture nominations, just about all of them are biopics, so a biopic roll will win this year.

pbla, it will be something if Jamie wins both BA, and BSA. Highly unlikely, but it would be quite an achievement if he does. Jamie did his thing this year, because he got nominated for an emmy this year as well. Congrats on a helluva 04 Jamie.

NICE

Sophie Okonedo from Hotel Rwanda has been nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

Hotel Rwanda and Million Dollar Baby were both limited releases just so they could be eligible for the years Academy Awards.

Back