Orangeburg, S.C., says goodbye to a legend ... gone to Grambling

nickderiso

TheDerisoReport.com
Willie Jeffries: My friend the legend
By MIKE ROSIER
Times and Democrat Sports Editor

Dear Coach Jeffries,

Since your office phone and cell phone voice mail message boxes are full, I figured that the easiest way to get you a note would be to just write you here in my column.

What can I say, coach, you're the best.

I've had numerous opportunities to savor your company, that legendary wit and humor, and just your overall positive aura. It's very difficult ? near impossible, actually ? to be around you and maintain a frown or downtrodden spirit for more than 30 seconds.

I've tried it. And believe me, you work every time.

Just like many others, I learned that you'll be taking over as athletics director at tradition-laden Grambling State University effective Jan. 3. I have to be honest, the news hit me Friday afternoon like a ton of bricks. I just couldn't believe you were leaving. I mean, yours is a personality that's woven into the very fabric of our community. You are Orangeburg.

My column this week (which normally runs on Sunday) was to center around the firings of Orangeburg's own Mike O'Cain and Ty Willingham at Notre Dame. But if there's one thing I've picked up in the newspaper business it's that things change. And in a month or so of hot sports topics with college football's BCS, The Brawl and all that, you're the biggest breaking news story we've had.

That's because what you've accomplished in your career has been nothing short of incredible.

We all know the sacrifices you ? and so many others ? made in the fight for coaching equality, and how you proved that an African-American can do the job just as well as anyone else. You and I both know that that fight is far from over, however. Now, more than ever, the need for leadership is greatest. And, if anything, that's what you are coach, a leader.

You're a pillar. An American pillar of strength and dignity.

Your time here at S.C. State will be long remembered. You embody all that is great about Bulldog football tradition. You've coached the legendary players (Harry Carson, Charlie Brown, Donnie Shell and many others .. including our own Buddy Pough no less) called the memorable plays (mostly runs right coach?) and won the unforgettable games (like the Heritage Bowl win over Grambling in 1994).

You really have done it all.
MORE HERE: http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2004/12/03/sports/doc41b1453312d84797994123.txt

In shock: Orangeburg reacts to the departure of a legend
By MIKE ROSIER
T&D Sports Editor

On Friday afternoon, a Louisiana-based website reported that former South Carolina State University head football coach Willie Jeffries had been approved by a University of Louisiana System committee as the new athletics director at Grambling State University.

The announcement ends Jeffries' second stint at South Carolina State, which began in 1989. His first stop in Orangeburg started in 1973 and ran through 1978. Jeffries posted a 72-59 record in his second tenure as Bulldogs' head coach, retiring from the sidelines in 2001 as the all-time winningest football coach in both Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and S.C. State history.

Since then, the popular national coaching figure ? who broke through the college football coaching "color barrier" when he became the first African-American to serve as head football coach at a Division I-A school (Wichita State, 1979) ? has worked with S.C. State in a fundraising capacity.

Since his retirement from football, Jeffries has also worked extensively with the Orangeburg community in such successful endeavors as the Orangeburg Touchdown Club, and as a vice president for membership and board member of the Orangeburg County Chamber of Commerce.

He also served as an radio color analyst on Saturdays for the Bulldogs on WIGL 102.9 FM, as well as being heavily involved with the Orangeburg Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi alumni fraternity.

Following are comments from Orangeburg residents as they react to Jeffries' decision:

Cathy Hughes, publisher of The Times and Democrat ? "It's just been a joy working with him. It's not enough to say that he'll be missed. He's irreplaceable. He's been a goodwill ambassador for the entire Orangeburg community."

Paul Miller, mayor of Orangeburg ? "Coach Jeffries has been a longtime friend and one of the first people I met when I moved to Orangeburg. His son Jeff and my son Rob played on the same Little League baseball team and our friendship began at that time. Throughout the years, Mary and Willie have been friends and he has been an outstanding ambassador for Orangeburg. Grambling's gain will be Orangeburg's loss, and, in fact, the state of South Carolina will miss Coach Jeffries. It's with a saddened heart that he leaves, but I wish nothing but the best for he and Mary in his newly appointed position."

Don Tribble, president of the Orangeburg Touchdown Club ? "Orangeburg is losing one of its finest citizens. He's done more for public relations in the City of Orangeburg, Orangeburg County and the state of South Carolina than I could ever describe. I've had the good fortune to become close friends with him. I'll really miss him, while wishing him the best of luck in his new venture. South Carolina State University is losing one of its greatest ambassadors."

Geb Runager, Orangeburg Touchdown Club board member ? "I've tried for the last six months to get the S.C. State Legislature to create a new title for Willie Jeffries as South Carolina's Master of Ceremonies because he's made such an impact in our state. That's how much I think of him. What an impact he's had on our entire community since I've known him ? and I've known him for a long time ? with his willingness to share himself without charge at any time he was needed. What a loss this is going to be. I know this is what's best for he and his family, but it's a disappointing loss for me personally, for Orangeburg and the entire state of South Carolina."

Tommy Brown, Calhoun County varsity football coach ? "It's a blow to the area, but with a man if his magnitude people will always want a man of his stature in their program. There are always opportunities open for great people, and he's a great man. I certainly don't blame (Grambling) for wanting to get him. We're going to miss him within the community, but we shouldn't be surprised. It took a while, but I'm not surprised. It's our loss."
LINK: http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2004/12/03/news/doc41b13d586bc51708920177.txt

Back