Oprah 2/16 Race Swap

GramUntilDeath

Grambling St. #1 FAN
What did you guys think of this show????????

I don't care how much you make the whites look like us they will never FEEL what we go threw as BLACK PEOPLE no matter what you do!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y'all should have watched Oprah's show with the Race Machine on it...

The machine can take your picture and show you how you'd look if you were another race. The premise was to demonstrate that genetically we are all the same...just look different.

THere is a show about race coming on FX...called Trading Races....the same folks who made up Big Mamma from Martin Lawrence spray painted make up on white folks and made them look black and same with black folks (they from Atlanta) and made them look white...tough, but they did it.

They all live in a house in California for 6 weeks. THey want each one of them to go into areas and see the reaction they'd get.

The white folks found the black folks were sensitive about everything when some of the things they were saying were not meant negatively and they had a good heart...they just didn't know. The black folks felt the white folks were getting to comfy with the N-word and were enjoying it.

In the end they all agreed it was such a weighted word that even blacks should abolish its use. Hmmmm, even hip-hop.

The white woman (who looked black on the outside) got a rude awakening when she went into an all-white bar and was startled at the conversation she was having with a white woman....she realized some things....

This is mostly a documentary and a study but it will prove interesting.

GUD: I disagree. The white lady who had an afro and black skin FELT it when she went into that all-white bar when the people didn't want her there.

The black guy who looked white worked as a bartender and he asked a simmple question..."what's the neighborhood like".....he got an earful about the are not being affected with "others"...and they don't know why it was like that ...it was all white and they'd like to keep it that way....

I remember some years back that 20/20 or primetime live or one of the news shows did a special. Where they had a black and white guy with the exact same credentials try to buy a car, get an apt and a job. Both guys wore a hidden camera.

It was a very interesting story.

jelli said:
I remember some years back that 20/20 or primetime live or one of the news shows did a special. Where they had a black and white guy with the exact same credentials try to buy a car, get an apt and a job. Both guys wore a hidden camera.

I remember it too. The white guy in the FX program was dressed "black" and went to buy a car and this particular place treated him well. They came up to him within in 30 minutes of him being there to help and told him all about the cars.

The black guy dressed "white" went to play golf and needed golfing shoes. So he went to a store to buy some and he was amazed that the attendant took the time to lace up the show and put it on his foot with a shoe horn to insure great fit...he's never ever gotten that as a black man.

The young white girl dressed "black" was in a poetry reading group. She was comfortable and enjoyed it and invited the peeps to their house to recite poetry. It was passion felt poetry. Well the white lady was not "black" this time...and she made the comment..."what a beautiful expression of self..you're such a beautiful black creature..."

Everything fell apart then because of the word creature....She was so sincere and she never meant a lick of harm.....she refers to her own children as perfect creatures and beautiful creatures...you have to see her face and her sincerity to know she meant no harm....but boy the black folks were mad...and the black woman went off on her because the white woman called her ***** because it was HER perception that that is what black women call each other....the black woman went off....

I COMPLETELY understood that white woman's point...(plus the producers of the show were encouraging certain things to see the reactions for documentary's sake...)...the white lady meant no harm...and she was saying it in an endearing way...she meant well but it did not come off good....

J4J said:
I remember it too. The white guy in the FX program was dressed "black" and went to buy a car and this particular place treated him well. They came up to him within in 30 minutes of him being there to help and told him all about the cars.
Two questions? What was the race of the car salesman? Did they have the white dude try to buy a car from the same place?

Because in that special I saw the black was offered the exact same car as the white guy but at a slightly higher price.

jelli said:
Two questions? What was the race of the car salesman? Did they have the white dude try to buy a car from the same place?

Because in that special I saw the black was offered the exact same car as the white guy but at a slightly higher price.

He was white.

Ohhhh wait, wait. I am mixing comments about two diff. shows.

The one you're talking about is the same one I saw. I agree with what you stated.

The other show exhibited on Oprah's show...was about "Trading Races" a new special on the FX channel. In the clips that Oprah's show was able to illustrate, the white man was dressed as a black man (black skin, black hair...slightly curly). So to the salesperson, he looked black. The salesman was white. On Oprah's show they did not show the real black guy trying to buy a car as a white man. He was buying golf shoes.

J4J said:
GUD: I disagree. The white lady who had an afro and black skin FELT it when she went into that all-white bar when the people didn't want her there.

The black guy who looked white worked as a bartender and he asked a simmple question..."what's the neighborhood like".....he got an earful about the are not being affected with "others"...and they don't know why it was like that ...it was all white and they'd like to keep it that way....

I understand your point totally!!!! I know she expereinced it but like the black guy said on the show they will never know how we really feel everyday. He stated that RACISM hits us sometimes before we hit the door and this is true..... DO YOU AGREE??????

GUD: I agree totally. I guess I thought she "felt" it because she was crying. She discussed how much it hurt. I guess she empathized...sympathized...errr she understood. You know what I'm saying?

I understand you and agree with you.

Different note: While racism IS real to us and it happens daily sometimes blatently and sometimes not.....do you think we (black folks) are TOOOOOOOOOOO OVERLY sensitive? I am assuming you are of African decent here. :D

This is meant to spark some more conversation.

jelli said:

That was filmed in racist @zz ST. LOUIS!!!!

The new show on FX is the brain child of Ice Cube.

Families Swap Races on FX Reality Series

By LYNN ELBER
The Associated Press
Thursday, February 16, 2006; 5:20 PM

LOS ANGELES -- When writer John Howard Griffin turned his skin from white to dark and traveled the South in 1959 for a firsthand look at the depths of racism, he relied on a simple medical treatment and his wits.

In the 21st century, such a journey requires Hollywood makeup wizardry, the well-honed conventions of both reality TV and documentary filmmaking, and two families, one black, one white, acting as undercover race detectives in Southern California.

As superficially different as FX's "Black.White." and Griffin's landmark book "Black Like Me" appear to be, they are brothers under the skin.

"Black.White." proceeds with open-minded seriousness as it leads viewers to a conclusion both obvious and powerful: race counts, for better and worse. Expressions of racism and racial identity change, but that bedrock truth remains.

"I didn't realize, more than anything, how hard it was going to be for whites and blacks to see the world through each other's eyes," said executive producer R.J. Cutler. "I didn't realize how genuinely different an experience it is to be a white American and a black American."

Cutler insisted the six-episode show, which begins March 8 on FX, doesn't "aspire in any way to say definitive things about race." But the participants and their actions do.

In a Los Angeles-area house, "Black.White." brings together Bruno Marcotulli, 47, his wife, Carmen Wurgel, 48, and her daughter Rose Bloomfield, 18, a white family from Santa Monica, and Brian Sparks, 41, wife Renee, 38, and their son, Nick, 17, a black Atlanta family.

Through artful makeup they swap races, if not perspectives.

"You see what you want to see," Marcotulli says at one point to Brian Sparks, dismissing Sparks' experiences with prejudice.

"And you don't see what you don't want to see," a frustrated Sparks replies.

Cutler, whose documentary films and TV series include the acclaimed "The War Room" and "American High," was joined by Ice Cube, the rapper, actor and producer, on the project proposed by FX Networks President John Landgraf.

Full Story

J4J said:
GUD: I agree totally. I guess I thought she "felt" it because she was crying. She discussed how much it hurt. I guess she empathized...sympathized...errr she understood. You know what I'm saying?

I understand you and agree with you.

Different note: While racism IS real to us and it happens daily sometimes blatently and sometimes not.....do you think we (black folks) are TOOOOOOOOOOO OVERLY sensitive? I am assuming you are of African decent here. :D

This is meant to spark some more conversation.[/QUOTE

HELL NAW!!!!!!! I hate it when folks say we are free. We as a race are not free by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!

GUD: Why aren't you free? You can go anywhere you want and buy what you want as long as you have money, right.

Cat Daddy: Thanks!

J4J said:

This is meant to spark some more conversation.
I say yes. There is such a double standard when it comes to prejudiced comments that are made.

jelli said:
I say yes. There is such a double standard when it comes to prejudiced comments that are made.

Are you referring to the use of the n-word? Lots of us use it freely on this board. Some females call each other *itch in an endearing way...in a sistagirl kind of way...but when a white person says it, we grow horns.

Is that what you speak of?

J4J said:
GUD: Why aren't you free? You can go anywhere you want and buy what you want as long as you have money, right.

You don't believe that yopurself.... On many levels we are not trated as equals and I know you know that. Hell example in our DAEP alternative school we have two counselor myself and another one and trust she is not the same race as me but we are COOL like that .... have been in the education field for about 5 years and her 2years. She makes 3500.00 more than me and nI am hot about that but I just let it ride. Now that may not be much to you all but it makes a difference to me espcailly when I know for a fact without a shadow of doubt that I should be making more than her... This is why I will not be returing next year but this is only part of the problem........ off soap box now.

GUD: I know....just trying to keep the topic alive. I know that when you and the next un-black person have exact credentials for a job...they will be hired more times than not.

I also know that sometimes unqualifed persons are hired in the place of a black who is qualified.

J4J said:
Are you referring to the use of the n-word? Lots of us use it freely on this board. Some females call each other *itch in an endearing way...in a sistagirl kind of way...but when a white person says it, we grow horns.

Is that what you speak of?
That is one instance. But I am also speaking for example your earlier post about the woman use of hte word Creature, because it was coming from a white person the sistahs got all up in arms. I wonder if they would have had the same reaction if it was from a black woman. Also the double standard exist for example in the comedy arena. Black comedians can joke about white folks and their way of speaking, dressing, walking etc. but let a white comdian say some stuff about black folks...all hell would break loose. These are the double standards I am speaking of.

jelli said:
That is one instance. But I am also speaking for example your earlier post about the woman use of hte word Creature, because it was coming from a white person the sistahs got all up in arms. I wonder if they would have had the same reaction if it was from a black woman. Also the double standard exist for example in the comedy arena. Black comedians can joke about white folks and their way of speaking, dressing, walking etc. but let a white comdian say some stuff about black folks...all hell would break loose. These are the double standards I am speaking of.

:tup:

Very well put.

Back